Did soy lower my INR ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussigal

Usually I would have asked our champion Ross this but he is busy getting better....

I have been really good lately with a pretty steady INR at around 2.5...on 35per week...so I have just upped my dose to 37mg per week to give me some breathing space.

Today I had my INR checked and it came in a bit low at 2.1...I was just a little surprised and dissappointed...I am hoping it may be just a testing error... I get tested by a nurse at the Docs...so I dont know...I am re-testing in a fortnight (or a week if I get worried).

Anyways...the only thing that is different is that I have had cravings for soy-snacks this last 2 weeks...this soy is the only change in my diet apart from temporarily giving up ice-cream ( I think I should go back on the ice-cream!).

I did a search and couldnt find any info here on soy. Did find an article on Als' site about soy milk which got me thinking but I havent had soy-milk and dont think these soy crispy-snacks have that much soy in them.

Anyone else have trouble with soy and their INR?

The quick answer is yes, if you've been pigging on soy, it will lower your INR. If your going to continue, increase your dose a bit more, but if not, don't.

Wecome Back

Wecome Back

Hey Ross , good to hear from you, hope you enjoyed the cookie I sent ya. Is everything going alright, hope so, you were missed by everyone. I am off for back surgery.Later

RandyL said:
Hey Ross , good to hear from you, hope you enjoyed the cookie I sent ya. Is everything going alright, hope so, you were missed by everyone. I am off for back surgery.Later
See my post in small talk buddy. Thanks for the cookie!

Good to see you posting Ross. My husbands INR had been steady and then the doctor put him on the South Beach diet because his sugar was a little high. Then his INR starting dropping. It was 1.7 at one point. I think it may have been Karlynn who posted something about soy affecting your INR. I went home and looked at the South Beach breakfast bars and the first 4 ingredients were soy related.

Yes, soy has vit k in it so it can affect the INR. The problem with foods is that you never know just how much soy is in a product. Since soy is the new Wonder Protien many products will claim having it. Check the label to see where it's listed. If its one of the first then there's a lot. Having one or two servings of the product won't change your INR greatly, but including it daily will. As Ross said (and it's so good to type that) if you're going to continue, increase your dose, otherwise if you aren't your INR will come back up.

I found this site because my INR was below 2 for 3 weeks and my cardio and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't going back up. And we were increasing my dose. The culprit was a protein bar and soy was it's main ingredient. I was having 2 a day. The bar wasn't that good, so I stopped eating them.

I saw one young woman who bought herself a stroke by eating a whole carton of Luna bars in two or three days trying tolose weight. I didn't think that she needed to lose weight to begin with it.

Thanks guys...and Ross , you make me feel special :) thanks matey.

Luna bars AL...we dont have them here but I will be more careful now and I think I will leave unpackaged snack products alone...these dont come in a pack which is why I have no-idea how much soy is in them.

I am gonna leave these soy-snacks for the kids...they are quite expensive anyway even if they are yummy...I will go back to ice-cream instead , and steer clear of soy stuff. I didnt even know they had Vit.K in soy, I was thinking vit K = green leafy vegies mostly...forgot that soy isnt that white milky stuff...now I feel dumb...lol...

At least my INR will be back on track next test ;) ...gees I must have really piged-out on that stuff.

Hey Ton! :)

Nathan has been stable with his INR, and will throw in a soy thingy here and there. He does some sort of Vit K 5 days a week, and we usually put his soy (like this fake bacon stuff we have, fake burger or fake hamburger crumble stuff--all processed) in place of his salad or brocolli. We have not noticed a change this way. Nice to see you!

And Ross! ((((Major Hugs)))) :) Missed you.... 'Nuff said.

Ann

Aussie,

No need to feel dumb.

I tell people that I am an expert. That means that I have made all of the mistakes already.

Latest posts

Back