Did Anyone Hear Their Heartbeat Pre-Surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJmomrunner

I am, on occasion, awakened by my heartbeat. I sometimes hear it in my sleep and think, "what's that noise?" It takes me a second to realize it's just my heartbeat. Sometimes I actually listen for it to see what it's doing--if I feel a flutter or something "off".

Did/does anyone else hear theirs pre-surgery? Do you suppose sleeping with earplugs (VERY sound-sensitive) intensifies the sound?

head beats

head beats

sometimes I feel the heartbeats in my head, when I lay down, but I don't hear it till I put my ear on the pillow. It is a result of the more powerful pumping of the heart, compensating the reversing jet. :)

Ivo

Youre not alone. I heard my heartbeat prior to my first surgery. Its scary. Now of course I hear a constant beat with the mechanical valve. My Dr says its so prominent he hears it when he listens to my abdomen. He hears it as soon as he walks in the room he says. Hang in there. The waiting is the hardest. Be well my friend..

Alicia
:cool:

PJ. Did you try the earplugs?

Yes, I heard my heart a lot pre-surgery. Usually it kept me up, frightened. Generally, it turned out to be that my arythmmias were acting up. Generally, that turned out to be because I'd eaten some very spicy foods, or too much chocolate, or caffeine, or watched a scary movie. I don't remember if you have PVC's or PAC's or any type of arythmmia. (I forgot to look at your signature, and then when you start writing, of course, you don't have access to the signature). If you have not been diagnosed with these, perhaps it is time to talk to the cardio about an event monitor to see what those feelings may be. Then you can get put on a beta blocker and it will do away with those episodes.

I also wonder if you are experiencing shortness of breath while you are sleeping and that is actually what may wake you. I would definitely call your cardio about this. THings may be changing for you.

Let us know.

Marguerite

Oh, yeah!
Definitely heard my heartbeat before surgery--especially when laying on my left side.

Marguerite, I always sleep with earplugs--I don't sleep well otherwise. I don't actually mind being able to hear my heartbeat. I find it reassuring to know my normal rhythm returns after a blip of PVC's or whatever brief arrhythmia. I kind of like being able to discern that it sounds the same as always. The nature of the arrhythmia I experience is infrequent and brief--as it has always been. No big deal to me or to any cardiologist who has treated me.

I just wondered if others heard their heartbeats because I've seen lots of threads in the two years I've been on VR.com about loud mechanical valves and, recently, one about a loud tissue valve, but never about a loud native valve. I didn't think I could be the only one and am glad to see I'm not. :)

I think I have always been able to hear my heartbeat when my head is on the pillow but until I first started my heart problems I didn't actually listen to it, if that makes sense. Since having heart issues I now take note of it.

I certainly couldn't hear it unless I was on my pillow.

Occasionally I have lately been able to hear my heartbeat loud and clear while wearing ear protectors. And that?s 1½ years post AVR :confused: . I have my next check up on Saturday :(

PathFinder said:
sometimes I feel the heartbeats in my head, when I lay down, but I don't hear it till I put my ear on the pillow. It is a result of the more powerful pumping of the heart, compensating the reversing jet. :)

Ivo

Yes me too. I feel the heartbeats in my head. And, I can hear my valve in the office or other quite places. Just last week I was at AutoZone (Auto Parts Store) and my nephew standing next to me, tells me, ?your watch is too loud.? You should have seen the look on his face when I told him, ?I'm not wearing a watch. That?s my valve.? :D :D

Latest posts

Back