Diaphram question... the one in our respitory systom Ross

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

i now in my updates I talked about having shortness of breath because my diaphram had been moved during surgery and the doctors say it will be between 3-6 months. My question is, why couldn't the surgeon just put it back after he pushed it out of the way?

I was very hesitant to write this and ask after all that happened with that one thread but my support network won't have the answer, I searched the internet, this forum before writing this. I know someone had to have had this happen to them.

I will be 8weeks post op on Monday and still feel like I did at 4 weeks. That damn muscle. I feel like I am so far behind in my recovery. i know we all recover at different speeds, but come on now. Enough is Enough already LOL. I go on the 25th for another check up with Cardio and the normal chest x-ray. With all the chest xrays I have had since the surgery (every day in the hospital) and twice after discharge my diaphram has not moved at all.

Hi Laura don't be hesitant cus i would like to know also
This is how we learn about these things on vr,thats why
i can't help you in an answer.:p

but wanted to say hi also and we aren't gonna do this too soon again
(surgery) least i'm not, long haul for alot of us including yourself.

Take care.:)

zipper2 (DEB)

Diaphramatic thinking (and breathing)

Diaphramatic thinking (and breathing)

:D No joke, really! I think some stuff got moved around in me too during OHS. It was almost like I got my stomach stapled because I could not eat more than a tiny bit of food at any meal/snack before I (for the first time ever!) my stomach felt full. For a fat person like me, this was an unexpected perk from OHS! I have lost about 30 pounds (though I am still fat, darn it) without even trying. (Sadly, my appetite has returned at six months out! :()

However, that diaphragm question also interests me. Apparently I became great at deep diaphragmatic breathing while in heart failure before OHS. I used to play at that sort of breathing before underwater swimming as a child who liked to pretend she was a dolphin! (A psychic says I was a dolphin in a former life!) So I used to do breathing that would ordinarily cause hyperventilation while I was coping with my increasing heart failure before OHS. (Despite everything, I still needed to stop and rest when walking from the employer's parking lot to the building I worked in before my surgery.)

I was still using my intentional hyperventilation throughout my healing process until, just before that throat surgery I had to have for the huge scar tissue in my vocal cords (from OHS intubabion) cut out. The day before, I was feeling really horrible, trying to drive to GW Hospital for my pre-surgical blood tests.

The pollen level was through the roof, and I felt as if I was going to pass out while driving. I had been warned by an ENT to call 911 if I felt I could not breathe--so I did. It was keystone-cops because the ambulance drove up and down the street I pulled over into, not seeing me. The 911 guy said, if I could, get out of the car and wave them down. I did, but felt conflicted about my breathing difficulty. Well, when they finally pulled up next to me and put an oxygen-level reader on my finger, I had almost perfect oxygen level. It seemed that my diaphragm had moved to its correct position again and when I did my deep dolphin-breathing, I was hyperventilating! :eek: In any event, I opted to go to the ER (Holy Cross--the place CDHeartman would go to if he called 911) to be checked out. I was treated for my (admittedly mild) asthma and allowed to go on my way. Since I had missed my blood draw at George Washington Hospital, I was allowed to get the reports from my blood work at Holy Cross ER to use as my pre-op blood work for the throat surgery which was to happen at GW the next day.:)

So, I want to say maybe they are right when they tell you to give your diaphragm time to move into place. (Mine apparently took about 4 months!) Until then, practice that diaphragmatic breathing, but remember that you too could hyperventilate if you keep deep breathing after it shifts down again, ha ha!:eek:

"Be well and prosper!"

i now in my updates I talked about having shortness of breath because my diaphram had been moved during surgery and the doctors say it will be between 3-6 months. My question is, why couldn't the surgeon just put it back after he pushed it out of the way?

I was very hesitant to write this

Laura, I have no answer and I am curious to know what others think. Just want to let you know that we all learn from each other's questions...do not hesitate to ask any question.

I hope that your diaphram will fall into place eventually, however, mine never has!

In fact, everytime I have to have chest X-rays it causes such a stir by the techs that it's only until after the doctor sees the X-rays that they are able to determine that it's nothing to get all worked up about & that it was just caused by my multiple OHS.

But despite of this, I don't think that it's ever caused any of my breathing issues. If and when I am SOB, it's due to my CHF issues not the misplaced diaphram.

Hi Laura,
It is precisely because your support network can't answer your question that you should ask it here. And, sometimes trying to research something on the internet just leads to frustration and a waste of time. Sure, you can (and should) consult with your doctor but this is the perfect place to find out what others have gone through and to help those awaiting surgery be prepared for those, sometimes bizarre, bumps in the road. FWIW, you are recovering... just a bit more slowly than you would like. Don't think you should just 'get over it' - your body is doing what it can at its own pace. Asking questions about your recovery is, to me, a very healthy thing to do. Most of us, at one time or another, have wondered if some aspect of our recovery or ongoing health is something to be concerned about. By getting information from those who have BTDT we can save our worry for those things we should be worried about and let the others ones resolve themselves.

While I did not have diaphragm troubles I certainly had my share of stumbling blocks - I hope that this one resolves itself soon for you.

Hi Laura,

Did you go home with a device to exercise your lungs? I used the device religiously and it really helped me. All of a sudden one day I could blow the socks off the machine (seemed like it was around 8-10 weeks post op.).

Please do not hesitate to ask as many questions as you like. I asked hundreds prior to and after surgery always getting the support and answers I needed. Best of luck on a continued recovery.:)

:D No joke, really! I think some stuff got moved around in me too during OHS. It was almost like I got my stomach stapled because I could not eat more than a tiny bit of food at any meal/snack before I (for the first time ever!) my stomach felt full. For a fat person like me, this was an unexpected perk from OHS! I have lost about 30 pounds (though I am still fat, darn it) without even trying. (Sadly, my appetite has returned at six months out! :()

However, that diaphragm question also interests me. Apparently I became great at deep diaphragmatic breathing while in heart failure before OHS. I used to play at that sort of breathing before underwater swimming as a child who liked to pretend she was a dolphin! (A psychic says I was a dolphin in a former life!) So I used to do breathing that would ordinarily cause hyperventilation while I was coping with my increasing heart failure before OHS. (Despite everything, I still needed to stop and rest when walking from the employer's parking lot to the building I worked in before my surgery.)

I was still using my intentional hyperventilation throughout my healing process until, just before that throat surgery I had to have for the huge scar tissue in my vocal cords (from OHS intubabion) cut out. The day before, I was feeling really horrible, trying to drive to GW Hospital for my pre-surgical blood tests.

The pollen level was through the roof, and I felt as if I was going to pass out while driving. I had been warned by an ENT to call 911 if I felt I could not breathe--so I did. It was keystone-cops because the ambulance drove up and down the street I pulled over into, not seeing me. The 911 guy said, if I could, get out of the car and wave them down. I did, but felt conflicted about my breathing difficulty. Well, when they finally pulled up next to me and put an oxygen-level reader on my finger, I had almost perfect oxygen level. It seemed that my diaphragm had moved to its correct position again and when I did my deep dolphin-breathing, I was hyperventilating! :eek: In any event, I opted to go to the ER (Holy Cross--the place CDHeartman would go to if he called 911) to be checked out. I was treated for my (admittedly mild) asthma and allowed to go on my way. Since I had missed my blood draw at George Washington Hospital, I was allowed to get the reports from my blood work at Holy Cross ER to use as my pre-op blood work for the throat surgery which was to happen at GW the next day.:)

So, I want to say maybe they are right when they tell you to give your diaphragm time to move into place. (Mine apparently took about 4 months!) Until then, practice that diaphragmatic breathing, but remember that you too could hyperventilate if you keep deep breathing after it shifts down again, ha ha!:eek:

"Be well and prosper!"

Thank you very much for the advise but just one question??? How do i learn how to breath like a dolphin?

Hi Laura,

Did you go home with a device to exercise your lungs? I used the device religiously and it really helped me. All of a sudden one day I could blow the socks off the machine (seemed like it was around 8-10 weeks post op.).

Please do not hesitate to ask as many questions as you like. I asked hundreds prior to and after surgery always getting the support and answers I needed. Best of luck on a continued recovery.:)

I did go home with a spirometer and still at 7 weeks post op can only blow up to 1500

Oh my :(

I'm not sure what the answer is but I'm sure someone will. I'm just sorry you've had it so rough. Don't give up, just hang in there...you WILL feel better someday soon!

Thinking of you,
Melissa

Goodness, Laura, what an awful problem. I had effusion after surgery. It felt like something pushing UP on my diaphragm, but was really all that fluid in my pericardium pushing DOWN. It was very uncomfortable and made me want to avoid breathing deeply, so I understand your frustration. I hope they can figure a way to get you some relief from that. Are you able to do your walking?

Thank you very much for the advise but just one question??? How do i learn how to breath like a dolphin?

You can't do that unless you have a blow hole in your throat like I do. :D

Laura it's hard to say about the diaphragm. See what the next xrays have to say about your lungs. Specifically ask them if the lobe or lobes appear collapsed. If not, then the thing may never reposition. Be sure to ask them what they think also.

The diaphragm is a muscle, so although it can be damaged, it's hard to imagine how they could have pushed or pulled it out of place. I think you were given an over simplified explanation, or even a wrong one.

The diaphragm is a muscle, so although it can be damaged, it's hard to imagine how they could have pushed or pulled it out of place. I think you were given an over simplified explanation, or even a wrong one.

what my cardio is telling me is that in the xray the diaphram is up near the top of my left lung instead of on the bottom between the lungs. How in the heck if its a muscle can it end up way up there? And every time I go in they say that my left lung is very quiet.

No, I don't think the drs gave Laura a wrong explanation Mary because like I said on my post, my diaphragm has NEVER fallen back into position & it shows up on X-rays which makes everyone go into a tizzy!!

No, I don't think the drs gave Laura a wrong explanation Mary because like I said on my post, my diaphragm has NEVER fallen back into position & it shows up on X-rays which makes everyone go into a tizzy!!

is yours high up like mine almost near the top of your lung???? my cardiologist even pointed my body as to where my diaphragm was.. I looked at the anatomy of the resp. system and I don't understand how my diaphragm can get way up there.

is yours high up like mine almost near the top of your lung???? my cardiologist even pointed my body as to where my diaphragm was.. I looked at the anatomy of the resp. system and I don't understand how my diaphragm can get way up there.

Mine sits up pretty high Laura not sure if it's at the top of the lung like yours but definitely NOT where it should be.

Back