describe your intake of greens and how important you think it is

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there are greens around, I eat them. I do not eat the same amount every day or every week. I check my INR every 4 to 6 weeks, so any variation in eating more or less greens is not detected. I don't worry about it.

Thanks for posting Herb, My approach to vit K(greens) is exactly like yours. I have had only two 1/2 dose(for one day) "warfarin holds" in the past two years and I'm pretty sure it had little to do with vit K(greens):rolleyes2:. I actually held the dose to keep my doc happy:angel:. I am pretty sure the INR would have corrected itself without the dosage holds, but a 1/2 dose hold ain"t a big deal:wink2:.

Take a close look at the vitamin K content charts.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17w430.pdf

Secondary references often misconstrue them by not paying attention to the quantity or portion size being quoted. For example, you might conclude that iceberg lettuce or pie crust is loaded with vitamin K, but that is because the first listing of them in the table are based on a WHOLE HEAD of lettuce or WHOLE pie crust. More reasonable quantities, shown much later in the chart, such as one cup of lettuce, only contains 13 mcg of vitamin K. I think you can pretty much eat most "greens" (and pie crust) at will, but spinach, broccoli, kale (primarily the very dark greens) should be maintained at roughly the same level over time as they provide relatively large amounts of K.

My diet is not big on the dark greens, and I am VERY sensitive to warfarin. My warfarin dose is 1.5mg/day x 6 day per week, with 3 mg x 1 day per week, which is miniscule. Over the past 8 months or so, I have been hitting my target 2.5 consistently, never lower than 2.2 or higher then 2.8. I eat salads (and pie) but am careful when I see spinach or the other dark greens. Initially my INR was more unstable and my cardio wanted me to take a vitamin K supplement, which studies have shown can help stabilize INR in people like me. I managed to work this out without taking another pill.

Like Bill B, my dose is very low as I am sensitive to meds.
I take 17 mg weekly, and that is while enjoying brocolli 4 times weekly and an occasional slice of spinach pizza.
Greens are good in a balanced amount; don't pig out and tank your INR.

Latest posts

Back