Demo Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luana

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I think James had posted, before the site change, that he got an On-X demo valve when he left the hospital which sparked some posts about demo valves.

I emailed St. Jude Medical and asked for one and they were nice to comply. Of course, it's plastic, not the real thing; however, when it's closed and I hold it up to the light I can see light through the edges, just inside the circle, not in the center. I'm wondering if that's because the real thing is much more precisely made the plastic demo, or is that how the real valve is, too? Seems like there would be a far amount of blood flowing back or forward or however it might go.

Also, the white material around it? I took it off and it's just like a scrunchy I use to tie my hair back. Is this the same as what's on a real valve, or is this just replica material like the plastic?

I realize I may be thinking about this too much.

Luana

You're really making them regret they sent you that demo valve, aren't you?

The real thing is made from the most advanced and purest pyrolytic carbon found in any valve. No silicone in the carbon on the valve surfaces as with other mechanical valves. The sewing cuff - on the real thing - is made of a synthetic material similar to the synthetic materials used for all other valves and valve types, proven to last as long as it's been in use so far. The acuracy of the movement and closure of all mechanical valves is highly precise, the On-X included.

I would not at all judge the actual valve from an inexpensive plastic demo toy that they can afford to hand out to anyone who asks. It's just to give people a rough idea of what it looks and works like. It would be like judging a diamond ring from Tiffany's by sampling a ring from a kids' gum machine in the lobby of the store next door.

But I do understand the temptation. :)

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Luana,
I agree with tobagoto these things are very precise, well made units and yours is probably a toy demo. Here's a picture of the real thing. Notice the workmanship.

brass_gate_valve.jpg

I asked for a sample of my valve and they sent me two.

Two%20cows.jpg

Sorry , I'm feeling full of beans. All in fun. Hope you smile.:)
John

John,
You made me laugh, many thanks. Bob and Cris, thanks, too, I was hoping the real thing would be different. Only valve I recall looking at at surgeon's office was a tissue valve and at that time I was squeamish about touching it. Bina, I'll go for that rust-free model, too!

As for my demo valve? I'll keep it as a conversation piece and won't hold it to the light again.
Luana

Bina:

However -- if you live where I do -- where the water is very hard -- it will get water deposits. Since blood contains water, among other things, you'd get calcium deposits on that brass valve in your heart and have to use Limeaway or a similar product. :)))

Luana,
I agree with tobagoto these things are very precise, well made units and yours is probably a toy demo. Here's a picture of the real thing. Notice the workmanship.

I asked for a sample of my valve and they sent me two.

Sorry , I'm feeling full of beans. All in fun. Hope you smile.:)
John

Alas, someone is assimilating.

Latest posts

Back