Debbie first Tri.--pics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie

Hey everyone, I had a great race and it was so much fun!
My daughter and I went as a team, she did the run and the swim,
I did the bike. Our time was 1:23 min. and I was very happy with the time.
We ranked 23 out of 28 teams racing and I'm glad we were not last!!
Over 1200 people were at the race, so most were not teams.
As many of you know this race was really important to me. Last year my daughter did this race and I had gotten so very tired all the time (this was a month before my surgery) that it was hard for me to walk across the parking lot just to watch her race. I said to myself at that time if they can fix my heart with this surgery and give me my health back then I'm going to be in this race next year!!! This has been a year long goal for me and I did it!!
Yea! I did it- I did it :D:D Now for my next goal, on Feb 13th I want to do the tour de Palm Springs race. There will be over 10,000 bike riders there and it is one of the bigger races out this way. I'm signing up for the 25 mile, maybe next year I'll be able to do the 100, who know's :) Debbie :)

Way to go Debbie. I knew you could do it.
Thanks for keeping us all motivated with your progress.
Take care,
John

Way to go!!!!

I would love to be riding my bike, but it is about 9 degrees F. tonight. Guess that is not going to happen. . .

Congratulations. Stories like this make my day. . .

Congratulations, Debbie! I know how great it feels to have a recovery goal and achieve it, and I am very happy for you. I am glad to see you are setting your sights on some additional events.

Thanks everyone, wow Rob 9 degrees I don't even know what that feels like being a native Californian, about the coldest it gets here is 30-35. It had been very cold and raining before the race and at 9:00 it was only 47 and that's cold for us. The ride was very cold, but I had fun anyway. For the real bikers out there i wanted to tell you i did the bike in 52 min. and it was 12 miles. I think the average speed was 14 mph. I was watching my counter and most of the time i was going 18mph and thats fast for me. I kept to the right because the real riders were speeding past me it was quite amazing how fast they were going! So, a question to the real bike riders on the site, how fast do you go on race? Or at what speed do you train at? I'm riding outside 3 days a week and go about 25-30 miles a week, if I have more time i might like to become a real rider because i love it so much. Any sugesstions??? Debbie :)

So, a question to the real bike riders on the site, how fast do you go on race? Or at what speed do you train at? I'm riding outside 3 days a week and go about 25-30 miles a week, if I have more time i might like to become a real rider because i love it so much. Any sugesstions??? Debbie

Debbie - Congratulations on your race and a great effort! I'm sure LeeRoy won't mind my telling you he could average (I'm not being precise, but I'm close) about 27 MPH over about 25 miles. He's working his way back up since his Ross procedure earlier this year. He competes with pros. I'm not in his league, I do that distance averaging about 20- 21MPH. Suggestion: if you don't have one, invest in a bike computer that monitors your HR, cadence and speed (which will also allow you to track your avg speed over a given period). There are models that allow you to easily transfer this information to your computer. Check out Garmin and Polar brands for starters. There are others too. If you want one with GPS capabilities and elevation and grade measurements, I like Garmin. GPS or not, training that gives you a lot of feedback in all these areas helps you improve your cycling by allowing you to work on the different aspects independently as well as together. If you have a tight budget, at least make sure you have a heart rate monitor. Bicycling.com has helpful articles, workouts and tips every month. Keep up the good work!

Dear Debbie,
What a difference from just being able to walk across the parking lot!!! Congratulations!! There's nothing like pedaling away, enjoying the scenery, and moving at one's limits; especially when we think about the journey since our surgeries. Your biking is a sign of continued recovery and a mended heart! Enjoy life!!! Also, there is something so freeing, so youthful, about bicycling that it is a great way to get back into shape.

Debbie, I usually don't race, but I do bike tours. My speed varies depending on the terrain. I average about 18MPH, with sprints up to about 25-28 range ( on even ground..!).

I agree with Jeff. A Garmin or Polar bike computer can be an invaluable tool for training as well as just keeping track of your exercise. Garmin may have better mapping abilties.. but Polar puts out a great product also..check out thier web sites and read reviews.
As Jeff also said, a good basic Polar heart monitor, like the Polar F11, is great for keeping track of your fitness and monitoring your heart rate as you exercise without the expense of the cycling computer.
Good luck in Palm Springs....It ought to be a fabulous ride! Oh.. how I wish I was in Palm Springs today..It is 13 degrees here on Long Island in New York. Enjoy some Southern California sun for me today!!!
Keep us posted on your progress..
All the best,
Allan

Debbie, I haven't been riding much and where I live everything is on a hill so for me to give a speed is fairly difficult. There is a 3.6 mile loop I do once in a while that is fairly flat and I usually ride it between 16-18MPH. Please don't be intimidated by the pace the others ride, you will build your speed with an increase in mileage and level of fitness. I agree about the HR monitors. I have a GARMIN 305 which I use mostly for running but it does have a biking option and is cadence adaptable. I also have a Polar but prefer the Garmin. If you decide to get any of them make sure you check with Costco.com, Samsclub.com or amazon.com...for best prices.

Tommy, yes I do have another event I've just signed up for. The Tour de Palm Springs (you can look up the site) is in 6 weeks on Feb. 13th. I guess this is one of the bigger events around this way, on the web it looks like lots of fun. It had over 9000 bikers last year and it is a 2 day event. First day music, vendors, and pasta dinner for 1000's, 2nd day the ride, lots more music, vendors, ect. It's not a race , it's a charity ride so maybe not so competive. There is a 25, 50, and 100 mile ride, I signed up for the 25 mile. So far the farthest I've gone on one ride is 15 miles so I have 6 weeks to kick it up alittle.

O.k. so does anyone want to join me??? I would love to have another VR member to ride with. I booked a hotel so I'm looking for some one to have a fun, WARM (70-80) weekend in Palm Springs. Let me know Thanks Debbie :)

Debbie, I'm still thinking about it. Where are you staying? However, right now I'm on the running injured list. I have a stress fracture in my left heel and am in a walking boot. :mad: I've been riding my bike trainer to keep the weight down but I'm a little gun shy about going out on the street in case I have bike trouble. I have an appointment with my podiatrist tomorrow and I'll know better how serious it is and what I can or can't do.
I decided I'm going to skip Christmas from now on. This is the third year in a row I've been out of whack over the holidays...except the first was just 2 1/2 months post surgery. :D

Latest posts

Back