Deana here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

denobobeno

Friends,
Wow! I have tears just reading all the responses and prayers that have been sent up on my behalf. I truly feel like I have all these new friends from this site.
What a wild ride. I got home last week after a week in the hospital. I'm a little uncoordinated. I walk with a walker, yes, I look like my grandmother! They say it was more severe than they orginally thought and it will take up to a year to recup. I think definately shorter!
My husband has been taking the best of care of me and I don't know how I would've done it without him!! I am truly so blessed.
At first I couldn't stand up on my own, now, I can walk without my walker but, very slowly and unsure, so they prefer me use it.
Here's what happened: Went for my 10 day checkup, they tested my blood and found it was at .7 and so they gave me a shot of heprin and 4 baby asprin and sent me on my way. My husband and I were driving through Fort Worth to go stay with our best friends at Possum Kingdom Lake and I became very confused. I didn't remember going to the Doctor and or where we were going. My husband asked me who would we be staying with at the Lake and I had no idea. He took me directily to the nearest hospital, Harris in Fort Worth. They immediately got me back with a room full of people and tended to me. (I don't remember anything, my husband told me all this) I was in ICU a couple of days and then a regular room the rest of the week. They had me on a heperin IV the whole week in one arm and potasium and other junk in the other. I had fantastic nurses and luckily I have several close friends in FT Worth to help my hubby. It was all pretty scary for him, bless his heart. They ran all kinds of test all week and finally let me go home. It's weird how it's all kind of a big blur.
There were some funny things, when I was having my stroke I kept thinking my Doctor was my sacker at Albertson's. He assured me every time he came in that he didn't use to work at Albertson's. I started the same story every time he came in just like I hadn't seen him before.:D Strokes are really weird!! Everyone got a big laugh about a lot of things I was saying so it kind of released a little stress. Anyway, this is the most I've been on the computer since and I've been on too long! My vision has bouts of being more blurred than others and I'm still experiencing seizures..kinda space out.
One more thing....my Surgeon wanted me to have a follow up echo to check for leaks. I went in today for that. She was taking so long I finally asked if anything was wrong, she said that I had a couple of leaks around the valve. Okay, I'm bummed..what does this mean ya'll? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deana

Hi Deana...

Great to see you back.

Like everyone else here I've been waiting for word of your progress. Yeah. Strokes are a very scary thing. It's good that we can't remember them...!!

My understanding of leaky valves is that it's not that uncommon but it depends upon the serverity. Let's face it. We had the surgery to get rid of leaks.

Please stay well and take it easy. Everyone is aching to see you back. I think we all love your optimistic attitude about everything. You're one of our inspirations.

Jerry

Hi Deana,

Great to see you back!! Sounds like a wild ride you had! Hope you will continue to progress and all will be well from here on out.

You will continue to be in my prayers.

Tom

Deana:

Wow! You've had a really wild time of it, haven't you?
Wish I had known you were in Harris -- it's a stone's throw from my office here in downtown Fort Worth -- I would have checked on you, seen if your husband needed anything.
Keep us posted on your recovery, and like you, I hope it will be much shorter than 1 year.
Hope you do get to Possum Kingdom for a visit. Perhaps this fall we'll have had some rain and the lake levels will come up. The lakefront at my sister's house at Lake Bob Sandlin near Pittsburg TX looks pretty sad.

Welcome Back! I guess if you had a stroke you must of had a clot somewhere from having too low of an INR. Hope someone is monitoring you cosely to keep your INr Therapeutic. Glad your back here with the rest of us.

Deanna, I am so glad to see you back and it looks by how well you typed things are coming along and from what i know of you and your strength and determination you will be back to 100% before a year.
I am sorry you went thru this and for your family. hopefully you will be making crosses and things you love to do soon. I can imagine the doctor/ bag boys face, :) Thank you again for personally letting how you are doing, and thank Connie for keeping us updated so we knew to say more prayers, Lyn

Ya know, Deana...

I'm a bit concerned here with the sequence of events leading to your stroke. You had your surgery on July 13th and had a mechanical St. Judes put in as a replacement for a faulty valve. You went back 10 days later for a check up and your INR was at .7? Weren't you taking Coumadin or warfarin? It's absolutely essential that you be on anti-coagulant therapy. For it to fall to a basic "no anticoagulant in this person" .7 something is seriously out of whack.

Secondly, for your physician to send you on your way with a shot of "lovenox" and some baby aspirins staggers the imagination. (It had to be "lovenox" because I don't believe you can have just a shot of heparin. Heparin requires an IV drip and takes quite a while to get you to your requisite 2.5 INR. Days.) You should have been admitted to the hospital at that point because you were at serious risk of a blot clot. "Lovenox" requires multiple doses given in injections in the belly area. It reacts faster but still requires more than a single dose to bridge the time it would take coumadin to become effective and raise your INR to a safe level.

I can remember reading your thread about "What Bad Things Can Happen" and seeing all the answers. Upon hearing of your stroke I was shocked that not one of us mentioned what could happen if your INR dropped like yours had. I apologize for not seeing the obvious. Keeping your INR in range is job ONE for a mechanical valver.

You might want to speak to your physician about why this happened and possibly seek some legal advice as well. This seems to have been very unnecessary.

Have a speedy recovery, Lady. You're a champ.

Jerry

Deana, so glad to see you back on the computer posting. I'm so sorry for everything you've had to go through. As far as the leaks, I've seen some on here talk about small leaks and that they are not that abnormal. I haven't had any, at least that my doc has told me about. I'm sure there'll be others along soon that can answer your questions about that though. Keep feeling better!:) LINDA

Deana, you have a whole lot of people here that are VERY HAPPY and relieved to see your post.

Welcome back!

Dear Deana - Thanks so much for posting. Like many others, I have been checking frequently to see if there was any news about how you were doing - what a thrill today to see that you have posted. I'm so sorry for the challenges that you are going through, sounds like it has been a scary and intense time for you and your family. Your voice sounds very strong and upbeat though, and that is a good thing for the challenging road ahead. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Love,
Liz

Deanna-

Your posting was beautifully written and described the arduous journey you have had. I think I see a full recovery coming in your future. So glad to see your post and to feel your spirit of determination. That will get you through.

Friends,
Yes, I was on 1 mg a day before the stroke. One important thing I've learned...Take Coumadin and not ANY generics. The generics do not match coumadin's molecular structure and therefore are more inconsistent. I've now heard this from my Cardiologist, pharmacist, and home health care nurse. People on straight Coumadin have fewer problems and stabilize more consistantly. FYI. I'm staying on Coumadin from now on. We are having a hard time keeping my Coumadin straight right now. That's why I was told that I need to only take Coumdin. I have been on Warfin. My levels are at 2.3 right now and that's after taking 8mg a day. It had dropped from 2.7 on Friday to 1.3 on Monday. They're really watching me right now to get it all straightened out.
My Surgeon told my husband he has never had any trouble before. He said I must metabolize more quickly than others. I'm kind of hyper...I don't know?? Anyway, I'm a little disappointed in him for letting me go out the door....but, glad that I'm okay now, pretty much anyway. I'm glad to be back and I'm having a good day today with a fewer vision disturbances and fewer headaches. Tomorrow may be another day...so, if you don't hear from me you'll know why.
I'm thankful for you all,
Deana
comoputec, that was a very sweet thing to say, you made my day.:D

Deana - I have been checking frequently for news of your progress so it was so good to see your post today. I'm so sorry about all that you have gone through but really admire your strength and positive attitude through this really difficult time. You take good care of yourself - we missed you - Jeanne

The fact that you're back, Deana, has made my day as well. I'm sure that I'm speaking for everyone on VR.COM. You were sorely missed.

Jerry

Welcome home

Welcome home

Deana -

So glad to see you back in action. Your attitude is terrific; you'll be back to 100% in no time with that kind of outlook.

Just keep one foot in front of the other. Your friends and family in Texas, as well as your friends here on VR, are surrounding you with love and support.

Warmest regards,

Kristine

So relieved and happy to see you posting, Deana. Thanks for updating us and we wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Inspiration

Inspiration

SO glad to hear from you Deana. You and your wonderful attitude are an inspiration to me. Take good care. Barbara

deana: sorry you're having trouble -- but isn't that just the way life goes sometimes? I know that sounds lame, but know that each and every one of us deals with this stuff in one form or another constantly.

am sending you good vibes and prayers as we speak (type).

good luck!

So releived Deanna...

So releived Deanna...

...that you are back online. I've been *real* worried. I'll check back in later - gotta' run an errand with Junior now...

Praise God for your improved Status!!

Latest posts

Back