Day 20

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Things are going pretty well. Scar is healing nicely. No real pain in the chest area, but collar bones are still sore. Appetite is good, sleeping ok at night, night sweats are going and I'm better regulating my temperature. Walking a fair bit, but I get extremely fatigued each afternoon and must sleep. I'm getting used to the sound of my mechanical valve and can honestly say I thought it would be louder and more noticeable. Before the surgery my heart beat was between 48-60 beats per minute, now it's pretty consistently 74 beats a minute. This seems to be taking a bit of getting use to. I'm very much looking forward to cardiac rehab, but there is a backlog and they are saying they won't be able to see me for 2-5 weeks time. This is a little frustrating as I found this extremely useful last time and really want to do the course before returning to work. Lastly, I'm finding warfarin not too much of a drag and am very glad I choose a mechanical valve this time around. This was surgery number 3 and fingers crossed there will be no more. Enough. I hope others done around the same time as me are faring well.

All the best.

Phil.

The heart rate should come back down over time as the heart readjusts.

I too was delayed getting into rehab. Try to walk as much as you can while waiting. When I made it to rehab at 8 weeks, they tested me and said I was in better shape than most of those who completed the program, so only did a few visits. The tiredness in afternoon is normal and your bodies way of telling you it needs a break.

Each day it will get a little better.

The heart rate should come back down over time as the heart readjusts.

I too was delayed getting into rehab. Try to walk as much as you can while waiting. When I made it to rehab at 8 weeks, they tested me and said I was in better shape than most of those who completed the program, so only did a few visits. The tiredness in afternoon is normal and your bodies way of telling you it needs a break.

Each day it will get a little better.

Thanks. You are right most days are better than the one before and it does get better. Today is bright and sunny, but cold so I'm about to rug up and hit the park and get some rays. Hope where you are there is some sun, too.

All the best.

Phil.

I didn't get to start rehab until I was 12 weeks out from surgery. This was due to all of my complications. I was not doing well at the start, but I was a bit ahead of many who were farther along. By the end of the 12-week program (3 days a week in rehab and the other 2 at my local fitness center) I was having fun again and doing much better. I caught up all the lost time from the complications. Now, just over 2 years out, I feel better than I did even a couple of years before surgery.

Back