davidpa28140's surgery tommorow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidpa28140

Well I think I may have set a new definition for "sooner" I went to meet the surgeon yesterday, I felt good about him and the fact that he had done several ON-X valves and recommended them without my prompting. After our conversation he asked me when I wanted to do it, I said I wanted to be flying again asap and would like to do it tomorrow. .....You can imagine my shock when I was sent to a room to have a heart cath done as well as several other test (to check the aorta size) Before leaving he told me he could do it on Friday! (like 36 hours away!) Wow So the wheels are in motion now as I try to get things in order for my down and out time. Ross, I am so sorry that you have tasted the gift of flight and had it yanked away. After I quit the airline I stopped flying for a year, it almost killed me. I thank you all so much for your comments and concerns. I will update you as my recovery allows.

God Bless,
Dave

Best of luck and prayers go with you. Just remember, we are all there with you. If you can, have someone post and let us know when it's done. We are like expectant parents waiting for people to come out of surgery. :)

Wow, this is fast, but really it's probably the best way. That way you don't have to sit around and think about it all the time. Now you can climb to that other side of the mountian and start flying again. Hugs and prayers are coming your way. Have someone let us know how you are.

wow. that was fast! sending best wishes to you david. how did your aorta measure? do you mind my asking which surgeon & hospital you will be using?

David, I see Ross placed you on the calendar and you have started your own pre-surgery thread so I won't start another, but just want to wish you the best of surgeries and an uneventful recovery. Godspeed!

David,
It seems that you're cleared for take off!
Best wishes and God bless.
Mary

"Lights, Camera, Action!"

"Lights, Camera, Action!"

Wow, David, that's quick! "Cleared for takeoff," is right! Taxing down the runway as we speak...
Hoping everything goes really well for you. Take care :) .

WOW...Cheers for your Doc no thinking time
I'm happy for you to get it done like this QUICK.
no time youll be posting us on your great journey
and speedy recovery.....thoughts and prayers.

zipper2 (DEB)

Waiting was the worst part once I knew I had to have the surgery, so you are lucky to have avoided the wait. Best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth, speedy, recovery.

David ~ My best wishes and prayers are with you for a successful surgery and an easy recovery. Take care, Dawn-Marie

I can see clearly now.

I can see clearly now.

Just wanted to let you all know I made it fine and I really appreciated your kind words leading up to the event. I want to encourage those of you on "the other side of the mountain" that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, this was my first experience in the hospital,( I have passed out when having blood drawn at the local doctors though)

Now on to my experience,
My surgery was completed 5 days ago at Altoona Regional Health Systems by a John Anastosie (spelling is wrong) Altoona PA. I will put the whole story on here in a few month when its more complete. One interesting point now though is I didn't get the ON-X valve although myself and my surgeon felt they were the one to go with.

It seems after opening me up (like 5-6 inches) he found that past test were incorrect and I did not have a bicuspid valve at all but had a "normal" three leaf aortic valve that had an "extra membrane" behind it that was blocking the complete view as well as decreasing the flow . I really don?t understand it all just yet but will be looking into it . I can tell you I was openly angry after waking up to hear the? good news? as I thought ( still under the influence of the gas) they repaired the valve which Myself and my surgeon discussed before hand ( I did not want the repair as I saw it as a temp fix) Now with a bit more thought I can see that this truly is a blessing to me. The Surgeon said this is one of three he has seen in his 20 plus years of operating. I spoke with other cardios in the hospital and seem to have found that the chances of regrowth of this extra membrane where less than 10% So to say the least, I am happy. My only two complaints are one , the cardio that did my presurgery heart cath left way more bruising on my groin area than I could have ever dreamed possible. Two , my heart surgeon did not want to give me a blood transfusion unless absolutely required so I am quite anemic at the moment. ( here again I may think this was a great thing after some more thought. ) Well I am going to go for now ,I intend to enjoy this glorious, wonderful, QUITE night of sleep at HOME.

Thanks again,
Dave

Latest posts

Back