Date for sternal wire removal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoVeNY25

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know I will be having my sternal wires removed. I will be admitted into NY Presbyterian on August 14th and started on a heparin drip and the procedure will be done the following day, August 15th. My hospital stay will be a total of 4 days. I'm happy to be having them taken out because they're driving me crazy :mad: Well, I'll keep you all posted on it and hope everyone is doing well. Hopefully my VR sweatshirt will be here in time to take it to the hospital...which I always feel is too cold. Take care everyone! :D

Hey, Nicole, good luck! I'll be interested in hearing how this goes for you. I do seem to have one wire that makes me itchy/sore and I find myself rubbing it all the time. It's right at the bottom of my sternum, could be the lowest wire, I guess. Right now it doesn't bother me enough to have anything done about it, but stay tuned :)

good luck to you, you will feel so much better when the wires are gone. I am still wondering about a 4 day hospital stay? 4 days of hospital food for wire removal? I went home the same day I checked in. Did your surgeon indicate why 4 days was the way to go? Just curious,
Gail

Hi Gail,
To answer your question...I know a lot of people thought the 4 days was not necessary, I spoke to the nurse practitioner and she mentioned to me that it was an option to leave sooner but I would have to give myself Lovenox injections. I just don't feel comfortable doing that. When I was 13, I had an IV at home for 6 weeks and that wasn't so bad. But I don't know if I could give myself these injections. So, My surgeon suggested the longer stay. I'm not back to work yet and my mother has off from work, So, The 4 days in the hospital is really no big deal to me, and I'm sure everyone will come by and bring me food worth eating:D
Talk to to you soon, Take Care!

Good luck Nicole, you are an inspiration to us all. You are the youngest member on this post, yet you handle your health with such stride! I am sorry you have to have your wires taken, out, but I am glad they are willing to do so. We'll be waiting to see your posts following the surgery.

hi nicole!
just wanted to wish you luck on the 14th. we will all be thinking of you.
please let us know how it all goes. i'm sure you will feel so much better once this is done.
stay well, sylvia

Nicole,
My guess is that this surgery will be a piece of cake compared to your valve replacements; none-the-less, going back into the hospital is never fun.

My daughter is your age, and it is hard for me to imagine her going through all that you have. But, if she had to, I would be very proud if she showed the poise, strength, courage and compassion that you have.

Sending you a prayer and a hug!
--John

I find it interesting that on opposite sides of the US we are treated so differently for the same procedure.
I went off coumadin 3 days before the sternal wire removal, took nothing to replace it, went in to the outpatient area of Stanford, they did an INR test before the surgery, (1.6) an x ray, and then off I went for the 20 minute procedure. I awoke and went home about 3 hours later and was told to take my regular dose of coumading that night.
Was I at a greater risk or not? All went well and my scar is smooth.
Remember you will be very stiff in the sternum after this procedure.
Gail

Nicole,

Good luck to you in having the wires removed and hopefully they will stop driving you up a tree afterwards.

Your sweatshirt should arrive soon to keep you warm and snug as a bug in that ol' hospital bed.

"Warm" regards,

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all the replies and wonderful support as always. Two weeks from tomorrow I go in...A little nervous knowing the risks but very confident that it will go very smoothly and I can't wait for them just to be out and it to be over with. A little more recovery and then life can get back to "normal". Then I can continue with the physical therapy and hopefully get back to work. I've been bored out of my mind, but my friends have been keeping me busy. I'll still be checking in with all of you and hope everyone is well and I've been checking daily for Ross' updates. If he comes back to the boards while I'm in the hospital make sure to send him all my love and plenty of HUGS!! Thanks again, Talk to you all soon.

P.S. Any thoughts for an east coast reunion, Can't go to Vegas...Would love to meet you all, but I'm still underage. :p

Im new to this site - i am glad i found it. I was wondering if everyone gets the wires taken out, i wasn't told that by any doctor.

By the way, I am 43 and just found out i need my Aortic valve replaced. I have AI and AS. I am leaning toward a Ross Procedure and have seen Dr. Steltzer at Beth Israel Hospital in NYC. I dont want to be on anticoagulants the rest of my life and i dont want to have a reop in 10 or so years as with pig or cow valves. I have a cardiac cath scheduled for next Wednesday 8/7/2002 and will have to decide by then which procedure to get.

Any information or help with choices, doctors, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Bob :confused:

Bob,
Welcome! You will find many helpful members here to answer your question. If you have a specific request, it is often useful to click on "start new thread" so that people can see the topic listed.

To answer your question about wires, usually they are just left in place. Occassionally, when there is a problem like Nicole had, they are removed. Most of us have them with no problems, and can't see them or feel them.

Do contact Dr. Zehr at Mayo. After e-mailing you yesterday, I let him know that he may be hearing from you.

Best wishes,
--John

EAST COAST REUNION

EAST COAST REUNION

HI NICOLE.....WE'RE IN EASTERN LONG ISLAND AND WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO GET TOGETHER WITH EVERYONE FROM THE EAST COAST. PERHAPS IN THE FALL....WE CAN EITHER MEET IN NYC OR JERSEY. ALOT OF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE TO DRIVE/TRAIN INTO NYC, AND WE'RE PROBABLY THE FARTHEST AWAY, BUT DON'T MIND TRAVELING. WHY DON'T WE ALL WAIT TILL YOU'RE BACK ON TRACK AND ALAN AND AMY ARE UP AND ABOUT....SOMETIME SEPT/OCT? HOW DOES THAT SOUND?

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE FROM THE EAST COAST WHO MIGHT LIKE TO JOIN US??????????

EVELYN AND TYCE

Hi Bob, Welcome to this wonderful and supportive site. To answer your question, most people don't have their sternal wires removed and live the rest of their lives with no problem with them. I lost a good 15 lbs after surgery and I'm now 105 lbs, and I feel the wires protruding and they hurt and irritate me, So I opted to have them removed. Not a big deal, It's a 20 min. procedure. I believe someone else on this site has seen Dr. Steltzer. I'm sure they'll come along and offer advice. Good luck with the cath on Wed. We'll be thinking about you and let us know how everything works out.

Evelyn- I think the East Coast reunion is a great idea and I'd be more than happy to meet all of the east coasters. I'd be willing to travel to the city, Jersey or even on the Island, Being in Queens I'm pretty much in the middle. We'll see who else wants to join us and once we're all recovered we'll start making some plans for the fall. Hope all is well with you and Tyce, Take Care!

To: Bobm193 Might read this from the archives by Peter Easton:

To: Bobm193 Might read this from the archives by Peter Easton:

Making the choice: RP, homograft, mechanical, tissue
A new member here, facing the fabled decision about valve type and surgery whereabouts. I benefitted from reading thread posted by Peachy.

I am a 59 year old male, congenital aortic stenosis type who has been aware of the impending condition since my sister first had her surgery some 10 years ago. (My Mother actually had a related and successful surgery as well, at the age of 86, no less.) My cardiologist said to hold off till I was symptomatic. Symptoms commenced two months back, more or less. They have worsened, but aren't really very severe -- yet echocardiogram (standard, not TEE) reveals that I am down to 0.6 square cm of aperture, which is, in the official lexicon, just above comatose, I gather. So not too much time to twiddle the thumbs.

I have been considering and studying up and asking about the same question that concerns everyone: which valve, which surgeon? Other things being equal, which they never are, I would prefer avoiding Coumadin. I also gather that there is a small but cumulative failure rate with mechanical valves that makes the likelihood of some sort of mishap appreciable over a period of 10-20 years or more -- and that malfunctions with mechanical valves tend to happen all of a sudden, with little advance warning, unlike deterioration of tissue valves.

The options seem to be (a) Ross Procedure -- not often done with folks my age (though cardiac and general health are more of a consideration than chronological age), due to cross-clamp time and complexity of procedure, but not unknown in the over 55 group either; (b) homograft; (c) new improved bovine or tissue grafts, like Cryograft-S (sp?); and (d) the mechanical ticker. I am intrigued by the RP and its potential for long Coumadin-free function and have found folks on the RP listserve very congenial and supportive (doutless just like those on this one), but it is evidently a borderline call. The rule of thumb that one should go, whatever the procedure, with those who have done a LOT of it would probably mean my traveling out of State (Florida) to, e.g., Cleveland, Beth Israel, Elkins' shop in Oklahoma or the IHI in Missoula, Montana. Other valve replacement options could probably be handled in Tallahassee.

Any advice, happy or horror stories or other viewpoints on the issue would be appreciated. One thing that complicates the quest -- and that I see reflected in other people's postings -- is that both the cardiologists and the surgeons seem to be divided into several camps on these issues and it is rare to get what one might call an objective overview, even when one eliminates the occasional turkeys and blow-hards. Well, it's all what those in my own field of adult education would call a "teachable moment"! Look forward to the lessons you might want to share, with excuses for the length of this posting!

Thanks for the info everyone. I had my cardiac cath today and the doc said my arteries were perfectly clear. I never thought that was a problem anyway but now i know they are fine.

The next step is the avr and i still lean toward the ross procedure. The cardiologists never gave a specific time frame but one said soon and the other said very soon. The surgeon said 3-6 months the longest and that was over a month ago. I have to bite the bullet and schedule it but i am procrastinating due to being scared.

I think i researched the death out of this so i need to go ahead and get it done now. Thanks John C. for Dr. Zehr's # at the Mayo clinic, i did call and speak to him - i hope you are doing well.
Also, thanks Nicole for your reply, you will do fine with your upcomming wire removal, keep us posted.

Bob

hi bob and gary!
i remember the days when joey and i still had that decision before us... oh , how awful!
it gave us such a sense of relief to finally decide which procedure to do and which surgeon to go with and then commit to a date.
joey is thrilled with his decision to have had the rp. he is, however, on amiodarone (which is controlling the afib he went into 4 days post op). we both know it's strong stuff and he is being watched closely (especially since he takes thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and the amio affects that tremendously).
bottom line... he feels unbelievable, is happy and we both know that he (we) will have to deal with him coming off the amio in the next few months. there are never guarantees. i don't mean to be negative, but we've alreacy prepared ourselves should he have to go on other meds for his afib (if they should recur) or go on coumadin for them (in which case, i know, he will not be happy).
several of the rp's on this forum have had the misfortune of leaks. others, like mara, ben smith, joey (and i think one more ?) are thoroughly pleased with the results.
it is a totally personal choice. there really is no wrong valve here.
my father (a very young 69) had a st. jude's put in 3 yrs ago and is as active as he was before the surgery (considering his age). for a needle phobic he does pretty well with the coumadin testing.
most coumadin takers will tell you that it is no big deal at all; it's those non-coumadiners who seem to be so fearful of taking it.

bob, i was glad to hear that all your vessels are clear!!!!

i hope this has helped. please feel free to email me anytime and even call us at home ( i will be happy to give you our phone #). joey may be better equipped to answer some of your questions.
good luck and please keep us posted.
all the best, sylvia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back