Dang computers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bina

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
So, I had an expired version of Symantec Anti Virus still installed and decided to install a new program.
AVG 8.5 free version.
It seemed too good to be true that it installed easily yesterday.
Today it was running the 2:00 pm scan that I set up, and since then it has been fighting with my existing dead Symantec as well as my SuperAntiSpyWare for the last hour and a half....:(
I thought I could save a few bucks and install this stuff myself.
Me and computers just have a hard time.:p
Just venting.
thanks.

You need to go to your control panel to add or remove programs, check both, hit remove, and reinstall the AVG 8.5 free version. You always uninstall the old program before putting the new one in. Good luck to you!

Hubby went into the CP to try to remove something, but the hard drive is just spinning away doing whatever it was before, so hubby left to go and bale hay at a neighbour's farm, and so now I'm on his computer.
I'm afraid to go and look at mine.
thanks T-Bone.

Been there and done that and if I could only remember how I got it resolved I'd be happy to tell you. It took a lot of patience. Technology when it works is fabulous, otherwise it is one big pain in the keister. Good luck at geting it sorted out. Remember - throwing things at it almost never works. :)

Rhena

Bina,
Google for information about removing the first AV software. Look under google groups for discussions by searching for both brands of software. I think they make it difficult to uninstall so that you don't switch over to another brand. I've read that its a PIA to get all the old software removed but it's absolutely necessary before installing the new AV software.
If you solve it please tell us, I am thinking about doing the same thing you did because my annual subscription is due soon.
Good luck,
John

Bina GRRRRRRRR my favorite word and to think i had a life before
owning a computer,then all these things happen:eek:

I still maintainpress a key to continue or any key to QUIT:D:D

Bina, I yell at my computer at least twice a day wether it needs it or not..:)
Or, sometimes I just play dumb and let my daughter take care of it. (hehe) :)

Bina you need to run the Norton removal tool when all of Norton has been removed from add/remove programs:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Also, by using this tool, there will still be some registry keys for Norton left over.

Ross, I don't recognize any of the Norton options that it is asking for on your link.....:confused:
(it was a tech dude who installed the AV last year after I crashed)
I've deleted files named Symantec and files named SuperAntiSpyware.

Bina,
Google for information about removing the first AV software. Look under google groups for discussions by searching for both brands of software. I think they make it difficult to uninstall so that you don't switch over to another brand. I've read that its a PIA to get all the old software removed but it's absolutely necessary before installing the new AV software.
If you solve it please tell us, I am thinking about doing the same thing you did because my annual subscription is due soon.
Good luck,
John

John, Yes I realized earlier that I better start googling before my husband got back home :D
I found this:
//freeforum.avg.com
There was helpful info there, and then T-Bone confirmed that I had a battle going on with my 2 AV programs.
I'm lacking AV protection at the moment, but I'm just very glad that my hard drive stopped spinning after 3 solid hours.:eek:

Success!
That was relatively painless and hopefully the automatic update will run smoothly
tomorrow mid day....unlike today's update that would not end.
Thanks for the help, and I didn't even need to throw anything. :)

John, Yes I realized earlier that I better start googling before my husband got back home :D

I'm lacking AV protection at the moment, but I'm just very glad that my hard drive stopped spinning after 3 solid hours.:eek:

ROSS---Lock this thread, Bina's talking dirty!

Ross, I don't recognize any of the Norton options that it is asking for on your link.....:confused:
(it was a tech dude who installed the AV last year after I crashed)
I've deleted files named Symantec and files named SuperAntiSpyware.

Basically that tool removes all Norton Products from the computer and the reg keys that enables it to be a problem.

Success!
That was relatively painless and hopefully the automatic update will run smoothly
tomorrow mid day....unlike today's update that would not end.
Thanks for the help, and I didn't even need to throw anything. :)

Sometimes Grisofts servers aren't working correctly and that's why it takes forever to update. So long as you have an existing updated database, don't sweat the updates.

Latest posts

Back