Dad's INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

My dad is on coumadin for a-fib. From the very beginning he has had a stable INR. He was very consistant with his diet. Now life has changed. He did the cooking for him and mom because mom could no longer cook secondary to a stroke. Mom passed away last week after being in the hospital/hospice for couple of weeks after a subdural hematoma after a fall. Now dad has to learn and get the desire to cook for just himself. I live 2 1/2 hours away so I can do only so much. He did get his INR done last week and it was 5.5 secondary to diet changes. I am afraid that he will eat inconsistantly for a while and have problems with his INR. I can go every 2 weeks for a couple of days, attempt to have my sister bring dinner once a week (she lives locally), and have church help with meals maybe once a week. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

He was scheduled for an elective cardioversion while mom was in hospice, but of course it got cancelled.

Debbie

My dad is on coumadin for a-fib. From the very beginning he has had a stable INR. He was very consistant with his diet. Now life has changed. He did the cooking for him and mom because mom could no longer cook secondary to a stroke. Mom passed away last week after being in the hospital/hospice for couple of weeks after a subdural hematoma after a fall. Now dad has to learn and get the desire to cook for just himself. I live 2 1/2 hours away so I can do only so much. He did get his INR done last week and it was 5.5 secondary to diet changes. I am afraid that he will eat inconsistantly for a while and have problems with his INR. I can go every 2 weeks for a couple of days, attempt to have my sister bring dinner once a week (she lives locally), and have church help with meals maybe once a week. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

He was scheduled for an elective cardioversion while mom was in hospice, but of course it got cancelled.

Debbie

Oh Debbie I don't have any suggestions, but wanted to let you know I'm sorry your Mom passed and how tough is must be worrying about your dad too. Its hard, I can't think of anything you can do to make him want to eat, except reminding him how important it is for his health and how important HE is to you. You all in my prayers.

Hi Debbie, until your father gets thru the grieving process of losing his wife, it may be difficult for him to continue his normal routines and eating habits. Your idea of getting your sister and church involved will help. Talk to his doctor about more frequent(weekly) INR testing...either at a clinic or perhaps having a "visiting nurse" test him in his home. His INR may stay erratic until his personal life returns to a new normal. Frequent INR testing will help assure that he stays in, or close to, his range thru dosing changes.

I would ask if your health insurance would cover home nursing to drop in weekly or byweekly to doa blood draw or finger piurick and work on some meal plans with him as i said to you in chat I am sure mom is in a better more peaceful place

Debbie:

My sympathies to you and your family.

Sounds like your dad is usually a pretty consistent person, since you say his INRs were OK previously. My guess is that he's retired.
I would suggest perhaps setting up a spreadsheet (Excel file, for example) and set up menus for a week or 10 days at a time. I have done this for my husband and me, at the bottom of my shopping list, which is an Excel file.
When something is in black and white, you're more likely to follow it. Otherwise, you look in the pantry and just grab something, or wait until you're starving and then eat just cereal (my husband does this when I'm out of town -- I just asked him what he had last night while I was in Houston and he said, "A bowl of cereal"), which may not be enough or provide a balanced meal.
When I'm home on the weekend, I frequently cook several entrees, then portion them out and freeze them -- meat loaf, chicken marengo, some Weight Watchers main-meal soups or stews, breakfast sausage casserole, spaghetti sauce, etc. I know what frozen veggies are in my freezer. I often make a bag of salad up to last 4-5 or more days (romaine lettuce, matchstick carrots, red onions, sliced celery, etc.) and add tomatoes at time of serving.
I also keep some Smart Ones (Weight Watchers) meals on hand.
I aim for a colorful plate -- the more color your foods are, the healthier the meal (nutritional studies back this up).

You may be able to do this for your dad, or go to his residence to help him do this -- spend a day cooking some of his favorite foods that are freezable and package them up. He would probably enjoy your company.

When we're alone, we tend not to eat as well (such as eating a bowl of cereal for dinner, like my husband does). He may want to invite a friend or friends over for dinner sometime. My father-in-law went through this when my MIL died in 1985.

I have cooked and then frozen meals for my parents, who live about 1 hour 20 minutes from our house. My dad has moderate Alzheimer's and my mom has been dealing with a suspected pelvic fracture for 2 months, after falling in a store parking lot.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I also found that angel food ministries has a pick up location just 2 miles from my dad's house. One of the things they do is frozen meals for seniors that all you have to do is heat them up. Of the current menu 9 out of 10 have green veges. I don't know if he would be interested, but that may be an option also.

Debbie

Debbie, I'm don't have any suggestions on how to help your father, but just wanted to tell you I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother. I also lost my father this exact way many, many years ago when I was 13. They actually did brain surgery on his and he remained in the hospital in a coma for about a month or so afterwards.

Hopefully, your father will be able to eventually figure things out on his own and in the meantime, you won't wear yourself out.

Kim

Debbie:

Another idea:

A gift card to a nearby restaurant where your dad can occasionally go with friends and a get well-balanced meal.
My dad's brother died in February, and his wife (who is also my mother's first cousin) stopped eating very well. She landed in the hospital, dehydrated and with weight loss.
She got back to health after a couple of weeks.

I sent her a gift card to one of her favorite restaurants (called Cotton Patch), where she could meet friends and get a plate lunch with meat and veggies. My sister reported that it was a good idea, that our aunt was enjoying it.

Latest posts

Back