curious about symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizannesmiles

hello everyone! It's been a few years since I've been on the site but with increasing symptoms I'm preparing myself for the possibilities..

so my question is that after about 10-15 minutes into exercise, walking, riding a bike, salsa dancing I've been experiencing a tingling then burning sensation (something like a bunch of needles in my feet). Usually I will stop and rest and the sensation subsides. However last week I was being stubborn during a salsa lesson as the feeling came on sooner than before and I became light-headed an difficulty with focusing and keeping my balance. Needless to say I listened to my body and took a break.

So have any of you experienced a similar sensation in your feet? I am assuming this is due to reduce oxygen levels to the extremities?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Beth
BAV and dilated ascending aorta

This sounds like something that you need to discuss with your Doctor(s), both Primary and Cardiologist, 'just in case', and the sooner, the better. You might want to call their office(s) and ask to speak with a Nurse who can advise you and/or pass the information to the Doctor(s). It is wise to check out any new or worsening symptoms.

You may also want to look over the Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum for Lots of useful information on those conditions. From your profile, I *assume* you have NOT had Surgery yet. I encourage you to seek out a Surgeon with considerable experience treating BAV and Connective Tissue Disorders so that you will be in the hands of someone who KNOWS what to look for and how to deal with whatever he finds once he 'gets in there'. I'd have to ask my Nurse friend in Austin who the BAV 'experts' are in Austin. There should be several at The Texas Heart Institute in Houston. Also Dr. William Ryan in the DFW area.

'AL Capshaw'

Actually Al my symptoms did propel me to make an appointment with a cardiologist here in Austin recently and I'm scheduled for a stress echo on Tuesday. Based on my symptoms my doctor and I feel that it may be time. I am grateful that he is of the philosophy to have the procedure sooner than later.

I was just curious about the foot tingling/burning because it has gotten so intense and I don't remember having heard any one else mention that one...

yes please check with your nurse friend about surgeons here in austin. I was wondering the same question whether to have the procedure here in austin or go to houston.

thanks Al!

I consulted with my Nurse Friend in Austin.

She said that if one of her family members had your issues, she would recommend Dr. Coselli at Texas Heart Institute in Houston as her first choice. Given your aorta issues, I would concur that going to a well known Surgeon at a Major Heart Hospital is a good idea since Surgery of the Aorta can be complex, especially if there are 'connective tissue issues that extend high up into the aorta. The guys at the Major Heart Hospitals see these kinds of patients much more frequently than 'Local or Regional' Surgeons who spend most of their time doing less complex Bypass Surgery.

If you still want to 'stay local', she recommends Dr. Dewan in Austin. If anyone suggests a Ross Procedure, MY suggestion would be to RUN to Houston. Ross Procedures seem to be falling from favor due to early failures, and are especially risky for patients with Connective Tissue Disorder(s) which are often associated with BAV.

If you have read my older posts, you know that I like the technological advancements offered by the On-X Mechanical Valves. See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com for details. My second/backup choice is the St. Jude Master's Series Valves which have a good track record for durability going back 30 years. See www.sjm.com for more info.

'AL C'

Dr. Coselli is a great surgeon! I had not thought of him in years, but he was one of the most respected surgeons for the National Marfan Foundation. I personally know two people who had BAV and aneurysm repair at his hands. Great work!

I am not sure about the tingling, but it could be that the heart is working too hard and shuts down peripheral circulation. But I am no doctor, that is for sure.

Don't distinctly remember having tingling in my feet, but if I did, it could have easily been overshadowed by the other symptoms. But the light-headedness - yes, absolutely. In my case, the two episodes that made me think it was probably "time" both happened on the basketball court. I had sudden and pretty acute shortness of breath (beyond what I'd expect given how much I'd run at the time), back/chest pain and light-headedness. Followed by months (yes, I'm an idiot and tried to ignore those signs for months) of shortness of breath doing things that had been pretty routine for me before, as well as more and more frequent back/chest pain (sometimes I'd wake up with it), and light-headedness. My body was right - it was time. Just had the surgery 3 weeks ago. Once they got in and saw the valve, it was extremely calcified, so good I did it when I did.

-Andy

thanks Al for the surgeon tips? How does that work to have your surgery out of town? Houston is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Austin. How long before I would be able to make the drive back to Austin after surgery?

Yes Maryka, that is what I was thinking as well. Sounds like to me alot of people have surgery after stenosis.. however based on my symptoms and previous test results I'm due for a stress echo Tuesday, my doctor and I think my heart is not able to keep up with the extra pumping from regurgitation during physical activity. So the burning/tingling sensation in the extremities would make sense. But I haven't heard anyone mention that particular symptom. However every time the burning begins during physical activity after resting the feeling goes away.
Andy, I agree it is amazing how we can dismiss our symptoms. Fortunately my boyfriend has been paying attention and was insistent that I go in for a checkup. I am so ready to be able to have a more active lifestyle.

Thanks everyone for your input. It is comforting being able to talk about it.

beth

Beth,

You will need Someone Else to drive you. If your car has AirBags, it would be best to ride in the Back Seat.
The usual recommendation is to stop every hour, get out of the car, and walk around for 5 minutes or so.
Baring any complications, patients can be discharged as soon as 4 days following surgery. Given your long drive home, your surgeon may allow you to stay in the hospital for a few extra days to build your stamina. They won't let you leave until you are able to walk some specified distance (a few laps) around the unit floor.

The usual discharge recommendation regarding driving is NOT to drive for 6 weeks. Some surgeons will relent for Limited Daytime Driving after 4 weeks, primarily to allow you to get to Follow-Up appointments with your Doctor(s).

It takes 6 weeks for the Sternum to heal to 80% and another 6 weeks to reach 100%.
With no complications, most patients are able to return to non-physical work after 6 to 8 weeks.
Many Surgeons / Cardiologists recommend Cardiac Rehabilitation after 6 weeks to help you restore
your overall muscle conditioning. Many of our members have reported they benefited from the experience.
I concur.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Lizanne, I remember that I was plagued with burning and itchy feet anytime I was standing for a long period, especially in heels. It really is about circulation at this point, so maybe, it's time to elevate and relax more often. I hope you find the perfect surgeon who will do the perfect procedure to bring you back to as near-perfect as you can be.

Take Heart
Pam

Latest posts

Back