curious about coarctation and hypertension

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff Man

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've read that 60% of people who have had their coarctation repaired will require, as adults, medicines to treat high blood pressure.

Why is this? What's the mechanism of action?

That was my experience.

Most people with coarctations have bicuspid valves (though the reverse is not true). I've read that labile hypertension often goes with bicuspid valves. Maybe that's at least part of the connection?

I don't know, but I haven't seen much written about the subject. No one seems to have much interest in curing hypertension... just treating the symptoms.

The reason I ask is because I had juvenile hypertension, and I still have hypertension. I feel like if we find out why people with coarctation get hypertension after the repair, then maybe we can understand why people with a BAV get it... or maybe even why anyone gets it.

It just seems counter intuitive that a patient with coarc would get htn AFTER the repair. It doesn't make sense to me.

Duff Man,
Interesting and with all the other related health issues that we have, there must be a gene in our DNA that carries all of these anomalies. What is the switch and can we turn it off?

As far as treating hypertension. Did you see the news on a new technique with radioablation of kidney nerves?
Onmedica article Kidney nerve deactivation can cut hypertension
Popular News article Nerve Zap to Kidneys Might Ease Stubborn Hypertension

John

I did see the news!! I'm totally excited about that stuff.

Hmmm. You know as a kid, I probably had high BP. I often had headaches and nosebleeds that would last a long time. As an adult I have only borderline high blood pressure.
John

Latest posts

Back