CryoLife - Recall Is Ordered at Large Supplier of Implant Tissue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/15/health/15TISS.html?ex=1030075200&en=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 15, 2002
Recall Is Ordered at Large Supplier of Implant Tissue
By SANDRA BLAKESLEE

The Food and Drug Administration yesterday shut down a substantial part of the CryoLife Corporation, the nation's largest processor of donated human tissue, saying the company could not adequately assure patients that its soft-tissue products were free of deadly bacteria and fungi.

The agency ordered the company to recall all soft tissues such as tendons, ligaments and cartilage processed since Oct. 3 and to withhold from the market or destroy tissue processed after that date. The tissues, obtained from cadavers, are widely used in elective orthopedic surgery to repair worn-out knees and other joints.

The agency said 27 people had developed serious infections after receiving tissue implants processed by the company, and one of them had died. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention learned about possible problems with the tissues in November and since then has been investigating the company with the food and drug agency, which has regulatory authority over CryoLife.

The agency said it was considering a similar recall of heart valves processed by the company if they are found to pose similar contamination risks. CryoLife processes soft tissues and heart valves with identical technology, but the two types of tissue are regulated by different arms of the food and drug agency. The company plans to continue providing heart valves, veins and other products used in surgery.

The agency said people who became ill after receiving soft-tissue implants usually developed symptoms within days or a few weeks of their surgery, so people who have had implants longer than that are probably in no danger. But it can take months for infections in heart valves to produce symptoms, they said.

Recipients of CryoLife heart valves and recent recipients of soft-tissue implants should consult their doctors, the agency said.

About 650,000 Americans have surgery involving soft-tissue implants each year, and CryoLife supplies 15 to 20 percent of the market.

CryoLife is the nation's largest supplier of heart valves obtained from human donors. It processes 70 percent of the nation's heart valves and 90 percent of vascular tissue.

Recall orders like the one issued today are rare, said Dr. Mary Malarkey, director of the division of case management in the food and drug agency's Office of Compliance and Biologics Quality. The agency inspected CryoLife's operations in Kennesaw, Ga., for two weeks last March and April.

"We found significant violations from our regulations," Dr. Malarkey said. "What they were doing did not ensure tissue safety."

CryoLife responded to the agency's concerns on May 15, Dr. Malarkey said, "and we deemed their response inadequate."

The F.D.A. sent a warning letter to the company on June 17 and since then the company has not responded in "ways that assure that their material is not bacterially contaminated," Dr. Malarkey said. With the issues unresolved, the F.D.A. decided to stop the sale of soft tissues until further notice.

William Kitchens, a CryoLife lawyer, said that the company filed an appeal yesterday with the F.D.A. requesting a hearing and change in the order to allow limited distribution of tissue used for bypass surgery and dialysis patients.

With two exceptions, CryoLife has not admitted to causing any infections in any tissue recipients. According to David Fronk, vice president of clinical research, all surgery is risky and microbes can be introduced through many routes, including operating rooms and surgeons. CryoLife has never maintained that its products are absolutely safe, he said.

"You cannot sterilize tissue and maintain its functionality," Dr. Fronk said.

Most orthopedic surgery using these tissues is elective, Dr. Malarkey said, and "there are enough other processors that we hope it will not pose a supply problem."

By contrast, most heart-valve surgery is life-sustaining. It is uncertain if other suppliers could meet the demand for heart valves, which has often involved emergency surgery.

At least nine families are suing the company, accusing it of killing or maiming patients with contaminated tissues. A class-action suit on behalf of investors was filed on July 16 saying that CryoLife issued false and misleading statements regarding quality-control problems.

The New York Stock Exchange suspended trading of CryoLife stock at 12:29 p.m. when shares fell 42 percent to $5.52.

More than 150 small tissue banks across the country ? the exact number is not known ? collect tissue from human cadavers and turn it over to companies like CryoLife, which process it for transplantation. The companies charge a fee to doctors who implant the tissues. A human body can supply enough tissue for 30 orthopedic transplants.

Tissue processors use various technologies to disinfect tissues. The one used most commonly for soft tissues and heart valves involves soaking the tissues in an antimicrobial solution at a particular temperature for a certain length of time. Many such recipes are proprietary.

Companies that are members of the American Association of Tissue Banks follow nonsecret procedures, including the practice of testing tissues before they are soaked in the solution designed to kill bacteria and fungi. CryoLife is not a member of the association.

CryoLife used to test tissues before bathing them in an antimicrobial bath but stopped the practice several years ago, Dr. Fronk said, when it it decided that the step did not make tissues any safer. The company resumed the practice a couple of months ago in response to C.D.C. recommendations, he said. Apparently, the F.D.A. "does not know we are doing this," Dr. Fronk said.

CryoLife also assures tissue safety by snipping off a sliver of tissue next to the graft, and both are immersed in an antimicrobial soup. The so-called companion tissue is then ground up and thoroughly tested for contaminants, including rare forms of anaerobic bacteria and fungi.

If none are detected, the tissue graft is frozen and cleared for distribution. Once processed, tissue can remain frozen for up to 10 years.

In 1998, CryoLife was notified that two patients developed severe infections after receiving knee joints taken from the same donor, according to the C.D.C. Lawsuits were filed in those cases, and CryoLife settled them out of court.

In November, a 23-year-old Minnesota man, Brian Lykins, died shortly after receiving CryoLife tissue in routine knee surgery.

By December, the C.D.C. learned that the donor who provided Mr. Lykin's knee tissue had committed suicide in October and that the body was not refrigerated for 19 hours after being picked up by a tissue bank. That is well outside the time allowed by industry standards.

Mr. Lykins was operated on Nov. 7 and died four days later. The cause of death was a rare bacterium, Clostridium sordelli. C.D.C. investigators then found two strains of deadly Clostridia in the donor's other knee, which was still in CryoLife's warehouse. Ten other patients received grafts from the same donor and one other developed an infection. Of the 19 tissue samples not implanted, at least two had the same Clostridium sordelli bacterium that killed Mr. Lykins.

According to the C.D.C., the tissues became contaminated from bacteria in the cadaver's gastrointestinal tract that had spread through the body after death.

The agency then mounted a larger investigation of bacterial contamination of orthopedic tissue transplants. On March 15, investigators announced that of 26 infected tissues implanted into patients, half came from CryoLife. In June, the agency updated number to 54 infections, again half from CryoLife.

In March, the C.D.C. sent a list of recommendations to the company. Among other things, it said that tissues should be tested for microbes before soaking in antibacterial and antifungal solutions. Failure to test in this manner could result in the creation of superbugs ? that is bacteria and fungi that acquire resistance to antibiotics and antifungal agents.

In April, CryoLife recalled seven tissues from six states because a recipient of a company heart valves developed a Clostridium bifermentans infection ? a species common in feces, sewage and soil and associated with gas gangrene.

C.D.C. investigators have also received complaints about CryoLife heart valves, including a report that Sydney Steinberg, a 5-year-old Albuquerque girl, died from a rare fungus infection after receiving an implant. The fungus was later identified as arthrographis kalray, which is usually found in soil and rotting vegetation. Her parents are suing CryoLife, as is Ken Alesecu, now of San Luis Obispo, Calif., who developed a fungus infection after heart-valve surgery that left him, he said, using a wheelchair and suffering seizures.

Yikes

Yikes

Not good. I was seriously considering the Cryolife until other factors eliminated it as an option for me. I hope they can get their quality control in order.

You say it is!

I've already got a call into my surgeon after reading that recommendation from this article on the web first thing this morning (the lead article on the front page of today's New York Times, no less).

I certainly wonder if my problems were not the result of damage from infection. The article says that "it can take months for infections in heart valves to produce symptoms," so I'm wondering if that's not what happened to my valve, since I did so well for eight months before problems developed.

The TEE I had recently showed that my leakage is through only one of the three aortic valve leaflets. It seems to me that that leaflet very well could have been damaged by infection.

A very close friend of mine just lost her father due to organ damage from the vancomyacin he was administered for endocarditis around his mitral valve (replaced 15 years ago; he just turned 80). My cardiologist just gave me a standing order for amoxicillin recently in case I get any sort of cut or infection whatsoever just as a safeguard, so all this has be definitely worried.

Back to CryoLife, I hope Mara hasn't lost too much of her investment! I suspect there's going to be a lot of lawsuits, maybe even class action. It'll probably go bankrupt before anyone could get anything, though. I hate to think of what this may mean for the supply of tissue valves in the near future.

Please keep us posted out there if anyone knows anything more about this, especially for those of us with homografts.

This is very unfortunate. I have stopped complaining about the 'old technology' they implanted in me 3 years ago when there was supposedly the latest. Proven not to be the 'greatest'. The government should be held accountable for releasing such devices before they are proven to be successful. Some of us here did not have a 'valve' choice, or know ANYTHING about valve surgery when heading into it. Not by choice.

Maybe we should just go back to the old tried and true and forget about the 'latest'!

My question to these manufatures is, how are you going to correct the damage? All the tea in China cannot replace the lives effected and lost. Shame shame.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I dumped my cryolife stock after John C's mishaps. Ughhh. Well, we'll see what happens.
Isn't this a sign of Armeggedon?

Notified the FDA today

Notified the FDA today

As one who received a highly defective (according to my surgeon) homograft from CryoLife--it ripped during surgery, meaning I was on a heart-lung machine for 10 hours and in surgery for 14 hours while they put in another valve--I am greatly concerned with CryoLife's quality control program. My surgeon, Dr. Michael King, told me there was something seriously wrong with the first valve. He said it felt too thin, and as they found out well into the surgery, it didn't have much structural integrity.

Today I notified that FDA of my case, given that their current investigation seems to not focus heart valves. I am wondering if the first valve I received didn't have an active infection (probably removed during the SynerGraft processing) that had affected the underlying collagen matrix that makes up a SynerGraft valve.

This valve, which obviously was passed through CryoLife's "quality" program, came close to causing my death. I think a lot more investigation is merited, and I plan on cooperating with the FDA by providing them all the information about my case.

The sad thing is that this tissue technology has so much promise, and this action by the FDA may inhibit its further development for a while. On the other hand, safety and reliability come first. Stay tuned, and I'll let you all know what happens with the FDA.

I doubt that any of us who have received SynerGraft valves need to worry about infection, as the processing of the valve removes virtually all the cells from the donor; however, Steve's thoughts above have some merit. Right now, though, we are speculating, and I'd prefer a thorough FDA investigation.

--John

Last edited:
I just wanted to make a backup comment.

My husband, a pretty smart guy, is a general contractor. There are always new and interesting products coming out on the market. He has ALWAYS said......we use the products that have withstood the test of time. Let other folks use the new stuff out on the market.........and after ten to 15 years, and the results are in.....then we will jump in.

I feel SO badly for the folks out there who have this product installed.....made a decision with the facts available to them at that time, and went with what they thought would be the best choice for their lifestyle.

It is bad enough to live with heart disease, but add to that knowing you have an artificial part with known problems?
Ugh.

Marybeth

Need for clarification

Need for clarification

By the way, I feel a need for clarification about what's going on with CryoLife.

The issue doesn't have much to do with new technology like the SynerGraft. In other words, this is not really much of a new technology vs. old technology problem.

Rather, it is more of a tissue material issue. Most of CryoLife's products that are in question here have nothing to do with SynerGraft products, but rather with all of their tissue products, which makes up a large portion of the total orthopaedic, vascular, and other material used in the US for all kinds of tissue repair in the body.

Most of the technology for providing such tissues up to this point would be considered as tried and true over decades as much as mechanical valves and lots of other standard products in the market that have been around for some while. One of the main reasons I went with the SynerGraft in the first place was because of CryoLife's apparently long-term (relative to the heart valve replacement industry) sucessful track record with ordinary homograft valves and other tissue.

The real problem here is much more basic: how do you handle and test any organic material, human or otherwise, to insure that it is not defective or contaminated, or, even more in CryoLife's case, that your disinfection procedures may not in fact increase or even produce itself 'super bug' resistant bacteria even though all the ordinary bugs may be eliminated.

For those who don't know, CryoLife's dispute with the CDC/FDA mainly hinges around whether to test every bit of material produced, and then get rid of what's bad, which the CDC/FDA want, or to just disinfect everything en masse and assume it's safe, which is what CryoLife prefers. It's evidently a lot cheaper and 'efficient' to do it CryoLife's way, which is why I vote with the CDC/FDA who are putting safety first over costs and profits.

Oh, if I'd only known all this before!!! But, even if I hadn't gone with the SynerGraft, I probably would have gone with a homograft, and it would have been from the same source.

In any case, for our group, I think the main issue raised by CryoLife's problems is not new technology versus old, but rather, tissue versus mechanical. Organic material definitely has its advantages, given that it is procured and processed properly, which, in light of this recent news, is obviously a very huge 'given'.

Oh well, at least I'm glad that Mara got out while the getting was good! Now, if I have to sue, at least I won't feel like I'd be hurting her.

Hope this actually is a clarification!:D

Steve-

Glad you made that clarification. It says it all in the article, and when I read the article, the first thing that was on my mind is what would it do to those who either have homografts or are contemplating them.

I also had to copy that article to a friend who is having knee replacement, because there are tissues used there also.

It's really a HUGE problem.

The worst thing is that we all assume that in the medical field, there will be no sloppiness. IT JUST AIN"T TRUE.

I am so sorry for everyone whose life is affected by this.

Many years ago, Joe faced a possible recall with his Bjork-Shiley valve. We had many tense times thinking it was going to go any minute, because the valve failures were instant, with instant death. But he still has that valve and it's still clicking along. It was a different batch that was defective. The subcontractor who welded the struts for the valve was sloppy in their manufacturing.

No matter how hard we try to be aware of every little thing that is done to and for us, we're still at the mercy of some non-caring person or company.

Steve, John and others. Sue away. I think it's important to make these companies responsible. Even if I hadn't dumped the stock, I'd still want you to do what is right. I did dump it after what happened to John. Not worth supporting jerks that might have killed John. Thank God his surgeon was good!

This whole thing is crazy. Hitting these guys in the bank accont is the only language they know. So go for it.
I'll assist in any way I can. I know a good plaintiff's counsel in D.C. so let me know if you need a referral. It's a little out of my league, but I am supporting you 100%.
Plus, I support Billy in his efforts against St. Jude. VR. com can be a voice for positive change in the medical device industry. Someone needs to hold these companies responsible. Any death from shoddy quality control is one too many.

That said I am off to call by surgeon and ask about my valve. I think I am okay, it's been over a year. As Steve said, it's not so much the SynerGrafts as it is other tissue. Can you imagine going in for knee sugery and ending up dead? How horrible! They should pay big!
Downside- who will take over the production that goes when CryoLife folds? "We" still need them.

-Mara

Thanks Mara; great input and support as usual. Actually, one of my best friends for many decades happens to be a very successful ambulance chaser! I spoke to him in the past about my case and he didn't think I had a case yet. Now, because of this, he does.

Still, I'm like John, I think we have to carefully ascertain what has really happened in our particular case and not be too presumptuous. Although this last spring was very rough for me, I'm still a lot better off with this valve than with nothing.

Nancy, you've been through this sort of thing and so everything you say is full of that wisdom. I especially appreciate your sympathy for everyone who has been or will be affected by this, some suffering much more than any of us.

HUGE problem this is with potential to be even more far reaching. My hope and expectation is that the standards required for tissue preparation are going to have to be much more stringent and the emergence of more antibiotic resistant bacteria, etc., is going to have to be dealt with effectively, whatever the cost.

Many battles have to be fought, against Nature, corporate culture, our own life styles, and so on. However, whenever medical procedures and products such as this do more harm than the conditions they aim treat, something has to be changed and fast.

I know that my cardiologist and surgeon have already been very impressed with the information and background that I and Peter Easton and others have gained from participating in an online support group like this and take us much more seriously as a result. And, boy, when they got that call from Dr. Zehr of Mayo, they really felt the Florida 'sunshine', even if it was radiating from Minnesota!:D (An inside joke for those from the sunshine state)

Just found this follow-up in today's New York Times. Can't say that I'm that reassured by it, though. It certainly serves surgeon's interest to 'reassure' us, just as they did before all this happened! That's part of their training; to always reassure, no matter what!

Surgeons Offer Reassurances on Implant Tissues
By SANDRA BLAKESLEE

rthopedic surgeons reassured patients yesterday that risks of infection from cadaver tissue are small and that there were several good sources of it besides a company whose shipments were ordered halted Wednesday by the Food and Drug Administration.

The agency acted against CryoLife Inc. of Kennesaw, Ga., the nation's largest processor of donor tissue, ordering it to recall all soft tissues ? ligaments, tendons and cartilage ? it had sent to surgeons since Oct. 3. The agency said the company had not done enough to ensure that its tissues were free of deadly bacteria and fungi. Such tissues are widely used in orthopedic surgery to repair bad knees and other muscular or skeletal injuries.

Advertisement

"There are many excellent tissue banks that follow extremely good tissue practices," said Dr. Gary Friedlaender, professor and chairman of the department of orthopedics and rehabilitation at the Yale University School of Medicine, who is a spokesman on tissue bank safety for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. "There is no need to panic. There's no crisis in supply or confidence in these procedures."

Of the estimated 650,000 transplants each year using allografts, or donor tissue from cadavers, about 10 percent involve the kinds of tissues being recalled by CryoLife. Bones and many other allograft materials are not affected.

Dr. Warren King, an orthopedic surgeon at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation in California, said he did 400 to 500 allografts a year, mostly for sports injuries, and had only seen one serious infection in more than eight years. "These products are safe and effective," he said. "They allow us to eliminate a tremendous amount of pain and suffering."

Dr. King said patients had been calling him to ask if they should delay surgery. "I tell them that they can do more damage to the joints if they wait too long," he said."

Dr. Friedlaender said there were alternatives, with risks and benefits attached to each option, In autograft surgery, a patient's own tissues are removed in one operation and implanted in a second surgery. The tissue is compatible but there are small risks associated with two surgeries instead of one. Many patients, especially those receiving bone autografts, experience significant pain six months after the operation, he said.

Autografts work for some kinds of surgery, Dr. King said, but often there is no good tissue to use. "It's not like God gives you a spare tire when you're born in case one goes flat," he said.

Artificial materials like metal or plastic can also work quite well in some kinds of orthopedic surgery, Dr. King said, but they tend to wear out and are not well suited to younger people. Many orthopedic surgeons prefer allografts over other alternatives.

At least four or five tissue banks offer the same products as CryoLife with excellent safety records, Dr. King said. He said that, like many of his colleagues, he had avoided CryoLife tissues after it was reported in March that the company's tissues caused half of all serious infections reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Nevertheless, Dr. King said he still used some CryoLife products for repairing knees because he believed that the material was superior to what other companies made. For example, CryoLife frozen knee cartilage "looks better and feels better."

"They do cryopreservation, which keeps the tissue healthier and alive," he said. "Maybe that keeps some bacteria healthy and alive, too, but with proper handling the risks can be greatly reduced."

Physicians need to be more aggressive in recognizing and treating incipient infections, Dr. King said. Some wait too long to remove suspect tissue.

Several technologies are entering the market or are in the process of being developed to improve the safety of allografts, Dr. Friedlaender said. Two companies have invented processes that sterilize tissues but do not compromise the strength or integrity of them. Further away are technologies that grow human tissues in factories or produce growth factors that induce a patient's body to make new bone, ligaments or tendons.

I've been following the news about CryoLife closely but missed this thread when it started so I'm a little late here.

Interestingly this was in the news while I was in the hospital getting my Synergraft and Dr. Zehr came into my room one morning and said, "I have to talk to you because I know you read a lot and I don't want you to be worried". Of course, I had already read about it but wasn't worried because I didn't think any infection could survive the Synergraft "washing" process. Dr. Zehr reassured me that at Mayo they test all the tissue they get themselves before implanting it. It seems to me any hospital should do that since you can't know for absolute certain what has happened to the tissue between point A and B.

From Dr. Zehr's point of view, he thought the media and government were treating Cryolife very unfairly. He thought the numbers of infections (was it a total of 27?) were in no way out of line given that huge amount of total tissue processed by Cryolife. Now I know if I was one of the few who got an infection or worse died, I would not be comforted by being one of a small number, but this goes back to how much responsibility does the hospital have in testing the tissue before implanting it. I also understand that Zehr has a personal stake in Cryolife not being put out of business as his cutting edge cardiology surgery and research relies on their research and product. The study I'm in will be null and void if Cryolife goes under which would be a shame. I am not however worried about my own health and well being. I'm still very happy with my Synergraft choice and don't feel at all that I have anything personally to worry about. (Of course, I could just be a fool, too!)

John, I'm also wondering why your surgeon went ahead and put in a graft that he thought didn't seem right? But that's a whole 'nother thing I guess.

We had an article in our paper saying the area that could be most affected by this is Pediatric Cardiology. Unlike the orthopedic tissue and adult heart valves that can be readily available from other companies or with other technology (mechanicals and porcine), the pediatric valves are much scarcer and having Cryolife out of business really has some pediactric heart surgeons worried.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/3167780.html

For the full article see URL above but here's an interesting snippet:

"A punitive action

"I would characterize this as a disaster for CryoLife," said Dr. Alex Arrow, who follows biotechnology stocks for the New York-based securities firm Ladenburg Thalmann & Co. "It is the most punitive action I have ever seen the FDA take against a medical device company."

CryoLife shares fell 63 pecent to $2.03, an all-time low for the company and the biggest percentage drop Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Arrow said he does not believe that the company's products pose a threat. He said the FDA was taking the action to demonstrate that companies must follow its guidelines "and do so enthusiastically."

"There must have been some kind of personal antagonism for the FDA to take such a drastic step," he said."

......end quote

I think there is so much we don't know yet about this. I for one do not necessarily trust the government to just do the right thing here (no, I'm not a conspiracy theroist). I don't think we have any where near the whole story yet. Although the "big business" side of medicine can be frustrating and hard to understand, the other side of it, is that is where the innovative technology is happening. It won't happen if someone doesn't get to make a profit off of it. It is a crazy balancing act that our country seems to thrive on in all areas. Even though some of us might prefer a little saner approach.

Well, I've gone on too long but will hope that we learn more soon.

www.caringbridge.com/mn/jymme

Latest posts

Back