Coumadin/Warfarin Cost

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get my medication via mail order under my health insurance. Any generic is $10 and the Brand name is $35 for a 3-month supply. For about a dozen years my prescrition was always for Coumadin but was charged the generic price. On my last refill they sent Warfarin. I complained and they sent a Coumadin replacement. I am not sure what will happen when I get a new prescrition that specifies no substitutions. The Coumadin price has just increased to $35 at the mail order pharmacy, which is consistent with non-generic drugs

I haven't put this thought on this site for some time, so I thought that I would do it again.

People tend to separate their hospital insurance from their prescription insurance because you use two different cards. However, for most people it is all the same company handling the money. The health insurance company merely subcontracts the prescription portion out.

If the health insurance company's risk analysis people determined that there would be one additional emergency room visit per person switched from Coumadin to warfarin, the cost would be prohibitive. They would not allow the prescription subcontractor to make this move.

When you put it on a purely monetary basis you can see that it is not in the insurance company's best interest do do anything that is going to cause you to file more claims.

When a company allows Coumadin to be their preferred brand it is probably because they have a rebate deal with the Coumadin manufacturer. It all comes down to money.

Al,

Interesting post. Money talks.

In my case the health insurance provider is staying the same and the prescription drug insurance provider is changing. The common denominator is my company that is self insured - the insurance companies enforce the plans and do the paperwork - the company eventually writes the check. I don't think that my HR people are inclined to dig into the details unless an employee complains.

Tom:
Albert's mail order pharmacy treats Coumadin/Warfarin a little differently. Coumadin does not appear on any of the three lists. However, if the doc orders Coumadin they send Warfarin, unless the doc writes, "Brand Name required for medical purposes. No Substitutions." Then they send Coumadin and charge the preferred copay of $30.
Blanche

Under my insurance plan I pay $10 more a month for Coumadin v. warfarin. Since it's my life, I have made the decision that my piece of mind is worth the extra $10.

Admittedly, I am in a situation where the cost is not an issue. I am sympathetic to those who are forced into a decision based on economics.

Mark

Everybody has to decide what they are comfortable with and can afford. I drive a 1991 Colt that some people probably wouldn't accept a ride in if they were stranded on a mountain pass in a snow storm. I try to get there the cheapest way possible. My license plates are $18.00 per year.

MarkU said:
Admittedly, I am in a situation where the cost is not an issue. I am sympathetic to those who are forced into a decision based on economics.

Mark

Mark buddy, I hope you can continue to say that for a long time to come, but unfortunately, I think those days are about to end rather abruptly.

I do not understand

I do not understand

Something snuck under my mind's radar. I don't understand what you said (implied). More info, please.
Blanche

Here is a thought when debating the government taking over health insurance or purchasing from "Canadian" pharmacies.

The government of Israel required everyone to switch to generic warfarin. A study was done of 975 people and it found that doses had to be increased by 26.5%.

This may not have happened if it had been done in the United States because the abstract that I saw did not say if either the brand or generic was manufactured to US standards. Even though a company may have its HQ is the US, if it makes the product outside the US for sale outside the US it does not have to meet US standards. Many countries have much lower quality assurance standards.

When you get the bureaucrats involved, they decide what is best for you.

At the top I put "Canadian" in quotes because that may be the only thing about Canada that is in these drugs. If the drugs were truly from Canada they would meet (and possibly exceed) US standards. But when you order from these places, you have no idea where something is actually coming from. Even if you got satisfactory good one time, you do not know where the next order will originate.

I saw one generic for sale on the internet called Orfarin from a company in Norway.

I've been taking the Barr generic now my refill prescriptions will be for name brand coumadin - should I expect to have to adjust for using the name brand?

Barr Labs warfarin is the one that has been tested the most in the US.

In fact what made the Coumadin manufacturer shut up about theres met higher standards was whe Barr warfarin came in at tighter control than what the Coumadin people were bragging about.

Barr warfarin should not cause any problems

Latest posts

Back