Coumadin questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jackc

Hi folks,

Although I have chosen to have a tissue replacement for my calcified aortic valve I understand I will have to use Coumadin for up to three months..correct?

Who checks the INR Doctor or Cardiologist ?
Is change in dose made immediately ?
Are multiple prescriptions required or just break a pill in half ?

Anyone out there who has the tissue replacement fill me in on experiences ?

Jack ( Welland )

Hi Jack-

All of the above. My hsband has 2 mechanical valves and has been on Coumadn for 25 years. His primary care physician is taking care of his Coumadin. His cardiologist could take care of it also, but it's just a little closer to where we live.

Ideally the Coumadin test results should be immediate or at least later in the day, and the dosage is changed that evening.

Depending on the doasge, the pills are either taken whole, or split in half. There's usually a combo., plus the dosage may be on a rotational basis, i.e. take 7 1/2mg. today and tomorrow, then take 10mg. the next day, then back to 7 1/2 for two days. It really all depends on what the INR is for that testing period. Sometimes he has a combo of 10mg pills and 5mg pills in the house to accommodate the various dosages.

My 1st valve done in 89 was porcine.
I was on warfarin for about 3 mos. I would go to the lab to get my blood tested after I got home from the hospital where they started me up on it.
I knew nothing about the blood thinner and just took the amount of it that I was told. I didn't even know about INR or what the number should've been, then, either. I wasn't too concerned about it and I had no problems or questions then.
I took it like any other medication given me.
Now of course, having a mechanical and testing and dosing myself, I feel like an expert on all this INR stuff. Now knowledge is important!
Gail

Your guys in Ontario are tops in the field. Hamilton is the center of much knowledge in the anticoagulation field. It seems like every time you read a journal article about warfarin or go to a meeting the author/speaker is from Hamilton. In fact, the co-chair of the international panel of experts that makes recommendations on how to use warfarin is from Hamilton, Dr. Jack Hirsch.

Latest posts

Back