Coumadin or warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For years I've been getting my prescription medication through our local VA clinic. It's not free, I only get a discount. Also to qualify to buy medication I must go to VA for a yearly check up. I have my own Cardiologist for health care paid for by Medicare and Blue Cross insurance.

Well recently VA informs me they can no longer provide me Coumadin unless they do the INR testing. I have also just recently started home testing of which VA doesn't accept. I have NO thoughts of letting VA do INR testing.

After checking the price at Kroger I see I can get 3 months supply of warfarin for half of what I was paying at VA for Coumadin. So I'm switching to warfarin.

My question... am I the only one still using Coumadin?

No, some people swear that the brand name medication gives them more stable results. Fact of the matter is, they are the same thing, perhaps different inactive ingredients, but the same old active ingredient. It comes down to the question of, Do you want to pay for brand name or generic? I've taken every one of them that I know of, mixed them, matched them and all and still got the same results. You cannot prove to me that there is any difference in the two.

Out of curiosity, what does Kroger want for them?

I just checked a few places around me that have that new $4 per prescription deal running and all of them have 30 day supplies for $4 or 90 for $10.

Dayton, no, there are still some docs that refuse to prescribe Warfarin. Usually, these are older docs who were "brainwashed" by Dupont over the years.

I was finally able to find a younger cardiologist to prescribe Warfarin a few years ago. I have experienced NO problem with the generic. I have used both Barr Lab and Taro brands with no problem.

Locally, warfarin is available at either Kroger or Walmart for $10/90 tabs, regardless of strength.

just a discount? has the v.a. changed payment? or is it still $15 per prescription
regardless of medication cost?

i haven't had v.a. meds since going overseas. they have a mail delivery system, but
it won't go out of country, nor will they send to a stateside address for reshipment.
i didn't know about the yearly physical, guess i really am stuck with the cheaper
online mail-order generics.

I take coumadin now & have for about 1 year. I was taking warfarin, and kept getting switched between the two. Finally I had my doctor write the prescription DAW "dispeance as written". I have since switched Pharmacies so I now longer have that problem. I find that either/or is ok but do not go back and forth. Going back & forth only throws you way off.

Good luck.

There was a brand of Warfarin that I had problems with about 9 years ago, and my doctor then insisted on Coumadin. After a few years, I tried Warfarin again. I only use Barr because I've never had a problem with it and I figure why take a risk. I get it for $4 each month. I know that Walmart and Target sell it for that amount here.

all of them have 30 day supplies for $4 or 90 for $10.

Thanks Ross, Kroger and Walmart same price here.

I was finally able to find a younger cardiologist to prescribe Warfarin a few years ago. I have experienced NO problem with the generic. I have used both Barr Lab and Taro brands with no problem.

Thanks Dick. I haven't ask my Cardiologist about a prescription for warfarin.

just a discount? has the v.a. changed payment? or is it still $15 per prescription
regardless of medication cost?

Thanks, I shouldn't have said discount. My VA prescription are costing $8 per prescription, per months supply. Mine are also mail order.

I take coumadin now & have for about 1 year. I was taking warfarin, and kept getting switched between the two. I find that either/or is ok but do not go back and forth. Going back & forth only throws you way off.

Thanks Tbone.
Sounds like I better not mix. I have a supply of 5 mg and 1 mg but running low on 2 mg. May have to pick up some more 2 mg to use up my supply of coumadin.

There was a brand of Warfarin that I had problems I only use Barr because I've never had a problem with it

Thanks Lisa.

Jerry uses warfarin; I have no idea who the manufacturer is. He used coumadin for a few months and there was no difference in effectiveness; however, I personally like working with the warfarin much better. The shape of the warfarin tablet is much easier to break in two, whereas the round shape of coumadin is impossible to break and difficult to cut.

This subject has been discussed a number of times, and most people have no problems with the generic.
However a few of us do have problems with it.
After being on Coumadin for around twelve years, my cardiologist asked me to try warfarin. I had my inr checked the day before I started it and it was 3.0 which is about perfect for me. Then I started the warfarin(Taro), and in one week my inr dropped tp 1.9!.
There were absolutely no changes in medications,activity level, or diet.
I immediately went back on Coumadin and was back in range very quickly.
With my current Part D coverage a three month supply costs me $46, not a bargain but a whole lot cheaper than the GM plan we had for years.
So as long as we can afford it, I'm sticking with the brand. Iv'e had very few problems in the better part of thirteen years.
Rich

This subject has been discussed a number of times, and most people have no problems with the generic.
After being on Coumadin for around twelve years, my cardiologist asked me to try warfarin. I had my inr checked the day before I started it and it was 3.0 which is about perfect for me. Then I started the warfarin(Taro), and in one week my inr dropped tp 1.9!.
With my current Part D coverage a three month supply costs me $46, not a bargain but a whole lot cheaper than the GM plan we had for years.
So as long as we can afford it, I'm sticking with the brand. Iv'e had very few problems in the better part of thirteen years.
Rich

No offense, but I think you should have given it a couple weeks before making the decision that it was the change from brand name to generic that caused the drop. That's the nice thing about being able to test weekly and more then once if necessary. You can tell whether there is a change because of the drug or a screwy test result.

I have been on ACT for over 28 years. My dose has been identical for that entire time unless I am on antibiotics or prednisone. I switched to generic (Taro or Barr) about 6 years ago and have noticed no change at all other than more money in my account.

Rich

Rich -

Do you know (or can you find out) who the manufacturer of your warfarin was?

I have have NO problem with either BARR (USA) or TARO (Israel) brands of Warfarin (through different mail order providers / insurance plans)

Both BARR and TARO are available locally through different pharmacies, usually on their "Special Generic Plans" for $4 for a 30 day supply. Some also have 90 day pricing.

'AL Capshaw'

Then I started the warfarin(Taro), and in one week my inr dropped tp 1.9!.

Thanks Rich.
Over the years I've seen the same thing happen to me on Coumadin.

have noticed no change at all other than more money in my account.

Thanks geebee.

I have have NO problem with either BARR (USA) or TARO (Israel) brands of Warfarin (through different mail order providers / insurance plans)

Thanks Al.

Had to go see my cardiologist today.. been having tightness in my chest? He ran an EKG but said it didn't prove a thing. Set me up for a stress test Thursday.

He said no problem with mixing warfarin and Coumadin. So I got some 2 MG Barr at Krogers.

Al,
It was Taro that I tried.

Ross,
You are probably right, I could have gotten back in range even with a little adjustment. The problem for me is I panic when my INR drops below 2.0.
People including my wife's sister died from that situation.
That is why I'm glad my cardio insists on a range of 2.5 to 3.5. If I get a little low I usually still stay above 2.0. I worry about the people whose doctors follow the usual guideline of 2.0 to 3.0 for AVR. I can't help but feel they are at greater risk. Just my humble opinion.

Rich

pharmacokinetics

pharmacokinetics

www.inronline.net states that according to "australasian warfarin guidelines" marevan and coumadin etc have got diferent "pharmacokinetics" and that therefore patients are advised they should remain on the same product. i.e. do not swap brands.

pharmacokinetics is a new word for me!

www.inronline.net states that according to "australasian warfarin guidelines" marevan and coumadin etc have got diferent "pharmacokinetics" and that therefore patients are advised they should remain on the same product. i.e. do not swap brands.

pharmacokinetics is a new word for me!

It's still hogwash. Inactive ingredients. Still the same active ingredient.

Latest posts

Back