Coumadin Dose Changes after 2nd Valve Surgery.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobThatsMe

Hi Gang,

I have waited a for some time before posting this question just to be certain.

My Coumadin dose after my 1st heart valve surgery was 5 mg/day, or 35 mg/week.

After my 2nd heart valve surgery, my dose is now 4 mg/day for 5 days, and 5 mg per day for 2 days, or 30 mg/wk. My range remains the same at 2.5 - 3.5 INR.

It has been 20 months since my re-op. Has anyone else noticed a similar change after their re-op surgery?

Surely just replacing the St Jude valve with the On-X valve would not have had any impact that I can think of contributing to this change, could it?

I remain active, although I am about 10 lbs lighter.
Perhaps it could be the weight change?

I guess it's just one of those things that make ya go "hmmmmm".

Rob

I can absolutely relate to your coumadin dosage, Rob!

For 25+ years after I had my 1st and 2nd OHS, I took 10mg per day and had my INR checked once a month. I was so consistent in my INR range and very rarely did the doctor have to make dosage changes.

After my 3rd OHS in 2006, things completely changed! I now take 7.5 for 5 days and 10 for 2 days and then check my INR, weekly. I have been quite consistent lately between 2.5 - 3.1. The doctors would prefer it to be on the high 3's but I seem do feel better if it is in the lower than 3.5.

I think a lot of it has to do with the aging process. My weight is pretty consistent, around 134lbs.

I guess it's just one of those things that make ya go "hmmmmm".
Rob

Your quote, "hmmmmmm", is about as good a reason as any other. I was on 10mg/day from my surgery until I was in my mid 40s(?). Then it trended down to 7.5mg in my 50s(?), and down to 5mg in my 60s(?)....where it continues today....although my last few tests are around 2.5 and I may need to add a little warfarin to get back to my comfort zone, above 3. Since I've had no additional surgery, of any kind, the dose reduction can't be attributed to that. I think it is more due to age, activity and lifestyle....or, since you've gone to the On-X valve, maybe your docs want to be a little more conservative in your INR.

Hi Gang,

I have waited a for some time before posting this question just to be certain.

.... I am about 10 lbs lighter.
Perhaps it could be the weight change?

Rob

Rob,

In addition to what Norma and Dick said, and in addition that you are

"10 lbs lighter", your surgery is "10 years later":
:biggrin2:! Am I right?

Glad all is well with you now :)

I suspect it's an 'aging thing'.

Yes it is. Coumadin is metabolized by the liver and as we age those enzymes in the liver drop. Our body isn't able to eliminate the coumadin as efficiently and thus the dosage does not need to be as high.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Dang, ya'll trying to tell me I'm old!
Some friends huh. LOL Just kidding, I think you are right.

My step son also went from a St. Jude to an On-X last November, and his warfarin went from daily 8.5 to daily 10.5 post-surgery. Perhaps this is the opposite age thing - and he's gained 10 lbs post surgery!

Even when I was over there the beer thing just wasn't happening....but I will enjoy a little Schnapps ;)

OMG... Now your talking. If you only new how many bottles of German schnapps I brought home when I was working over there!
I'm going to be back there next month to go to my friends wedding! I'll have one for you!

Latest posts

Back