Coumadin dosage/database software?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jwswaco

Does anyone know of software that keeps track of coumadin usage, INR and PROtime results and, maybe even recommends future coumadin dosage?

I have tried searching the internet for information and only came up with something called CoumaCare which only keeps track of the records. It does not assist in dosage determination.

I am also looking for in depth literature about coumadin dosage and could find nothing on Amazon or BN. Is it me, or is this all a big secret that the doctors keep? :D

I am in the process of trying to get me own ProTime unit, and would like to know as much as possible about the drug I am taking and why the dosages change so often.

Thanks! :confused:

Welcome to a very fine site filled with useful information.
A form that does most of what you want was offered by Rain in the past few weeks; I've printed it out, but not used it yet. I still use the little Coumadin book furnished by the hospital. This form keeps track of many weeks on the same page. You can perhaps find it through the search engine.
Recommending future dosage is the difficult thing, which is more of an art than an exact science.

The best site that I've seen about dosing:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990201ap/635.html

As far as software, I know of nothing. You may want to ask Allodwick, as he may know of something available. I think they keep that stuff for physicians only or pay through the nose, if you want it for private use.

Check out Mr. Lodwicks site at www.warfarinfo.com He has a ton of answers to questions and I'm sure he'll reply to this thread when he sees it.

Dosage changes occur mainly to a fluctuating diet. You need to be consistent in your diet. Consistency is the key. Some people have problems maintaining their numbers, but sooner or later, it gets straightened out.

Last edited:
Referance Article

Referance Article

Waco, The article that Ross referred you to is the best info in one place except for Al Lodwicks website (and his manual which can be purchased). Download the article and read all 20 pages carefully and slowly and you should know more about warfarin anticoagulation than 90% of M.D.'s There were some fancy software dosing programs for sale for big bucks at a meeting I attended two years ago. I found that nobody uses them and I wouldn't recommend them.

Last edited:
Thanks, Marty. By-the-way Marty was the first to buy my book. He ordered it before I even realized that I had added the order page to my website.

The problem with software is that it cannot handle all of the variables. Typically when someone's INR is way off it is because the scenario is something like this, they had vomiting and don't know whether they threw up the pill or not, they did not feel like eating for three days and certainly not vegetables even though they typically eat four servings daily.

What it boils down to is that it is more of an art than a science. But you will soon learn what works for you and you will know more about dosing your own body than anyone else. It is very rare that a dosage change of more than 10 to 15% is required. This is about the equivalent of the dose for 1 day per week added or subtracted from your previous weekly dose.

More art than science?

More art than science?

There....Al said it! Dose regulation of warfarin and using our Coagucheks and Protimes is indeed an art. Those who look for precise science and worry if the lab gets INR 2.3 and your Protime gets INR 2.7 are in for continual heartbreak ( is this a pun?). My advice is trust your monitor, forget the hospital lab, pick your INR target 2.5, 3.0, etc. regulate yourself and be happy!

Thank you ALL for the information! Both the Warfarin Therapy page and Mr. Lodwick?s site (I especially like his detailed explanations) have a wealth of information.

I believe that Marty is correct in stating that dosage regulation is an art, and that using software would not be advantageous. There are so many variables that come into play!

Where have all the easy answers gone? :D

Just call me a freshman in the Coumadin college!

-James

Latest posts

Back