coumadin alternative in the works?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mile high

I have heard recently that there is a coumadin alternative awaiting approval by the FDA. Has anyone heard of this, what it is called and any other info on this?

Mile High,
It is called Exanta, and there are some posts on it. There is one thread just down from your post and you can do a search on Exanta to get more info.
Take Care

The project has been all but scraped for testing in the United States. Nothing else is available, so Coumadin is it.

The report of the meeting of the FDA Advisory Committee on September 10, 2004 (whic I attended and gave testimony at) is on my website at www.warfarinfo.com/ximelagatran.htm

I just the AstraZeneca website and they have posted nothing since 9-13-04.

I'm going to an anticoagulation symposium in ABQ this weekend and I'll be asking the hematologists if they have heard anything, but I suspect that I'll be the one with the most current news.

Exanta vs. Coumadin

Exanta vs. Coumadin

Hi,
After having a fistfight with a surgeon who implanted a Pacemaker because I wanted to go home on Lovenox, we had a little chit-chat about Coumadin, Exanta and Lovenox.
Unfortunately, he made a lot of sense even though he left me in the hospital to watch my INR raise for 5 days.
Exanta was initially released for DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis - what you get by sitting on an airplane for 16 hours or after surgery to prevent clotting). There have been no references, yet, for valve replacement anticoagulation. This is REALLY a pity. I hate the INR variances due to coumadin and Vitamin K intake and would rather take the 2 Exanta pills per day.
What's worse is there is no antidote for the anticoagulation due to exanta (or Lovenox). If you bleed heavily on coumadin, I believe you can get a shot of Vitamin K to reverse its effects, but Exanta and Lovenox have no such anitdote.
Oh, well, It's a big market and sooner or later they'll come up with something to enhance the lifestyles of us Coumadin users.
Regards,
Icarus

The FDA issued a letter on Non-Approvability last Friday. This drug will not be on the market in the US for several years if at all. It was never considered for people with mechanical heart valves. Please look at my website www.warfarinfo.com/ximelagatran.htm

It has been released in 7 European countries but only for short-term use after knee/hip replacement surgery. The FDA found that it caused heart attacks when used for this - one of the reasons for non-approval.

I was surprised the other day to see an article about how the new anticoagulants were made from leeches.

http://www.jaapa.com/be_core/content/journals/j/data/2004/0101/w0104anticoag.html
>>>>
DIRECT THROMBIN INHIBITORS
DTIs exert their anticoagulant effects by directly inhibiting thrombin without requiring an intermediate such as antithrombin as in the case of heparin and low molecular weight heparins (LMWHs). The importance of directly inhibiting thrombin lies in the pivotal function of this molecule in the coagulation process (see "Coagulation cascade"). The first known DTI was hirudin, which was isolated from leech protein in the 1800s but not used clinically until recently. Two injectable agents that are structurally similar to hirudin?bivalirudin (Angiomax) and lepirudin (Refludan)?are currently on the market. Synthetic smaller molecules with favorable pharmacologic properties have been developed also. These include argatroban (Acova), an injectable DTI currently in use and ximelagatran (Exanta), the first oral DTI, which is being reviewed for approval by the FDA (see Table 2).1
>>>

So I wonder if leeches will ever give warfarin a run for its money?

Nope. The leech spit molecule is too big to be absorbed from the GI tract so it has to be injected. So that pretty much rules out competing with warfarin.

The next DTI for oral use is probably at least 5 years (and maybe more) from being marketed in the US.

Latest posts

Back