Cops On Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago I researched this problem for a commercial air line pilot. Final decision by FAA doctors. Warfarin OK!Those folks are armed now and have to be ready for anything.

Great!

Great!

Is the FAA decision written anywhere on there web site, etc. Something I can print out and have in my hot little hand when I go back to work? (or to another dept. to apply) You are right, lots are carrying guns now but beyond that, they have hundreds of lives in there hands, Cops have a few.

Thanks,
Sheepdog

Is the FAA decision written anywhere on there web site, etc. Something I can print out and have in my hot little hand when I go back to work? (or to another dept. to apply) You are right, lots are carrying guns now but beyond that, they have hundreds of lives in there hands, Cops have a few.

Thanks,
Sheepdog

I'm not privy to FAA regulations and don't know if there is any regulation written down. I do remember the FAA doctor, Dr Robert Poole,a friend and colleague, who was also a pilot himself. Bob is almost certaily retired now but it may be worthwhile for you to contact FAA and see if you can find someone to say how they handle valve and warfarin pilots now.

Can you provide more specific details?
Can you cite the studies?
ALCAPSHAW2 -- I'm sorry I didn't get back more quickly.

You might want to start with Oakley, Kleine & Bach, in CIRCULATION 2008;117:253-256 It's a journal of the American Heart Association, and you can find it at http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/117/2/253.

A paper that gives more data and figures, and addresses both mortality and morbidity is "Bioprostheses and Mechanical Prostheses Predictors of Performance by Jamieson et al. in the Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals 2000, Vol. 8, No. 2.

This issue, of course, is reoperation, which is more common with tissue valves. Look at "Risk Factors Associated with Reoperation and Mortality in 252 :patients..." 2007 by Society of Thoracic Surgeons.

The age x type of valve issue is analyzed in "Aortic and Mitral Prosthetic Valve Replacement in Age Groups 61-65 and 66-70 Years, the Prasongsukarn, Jamieson, et al. (some of the same authors as above). Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals 2007, Vol. 15, No. 2.

Outcome Research, choice of valve

Outcome Research, choice of valve

Can you provide more specific details?
Can you cite the studies?

Addendum

I think probably the 2007 Jamieson article largely supersedes the 2000 Jamieson article. Date is important, as this outcome research is developing fast, and older articles may be obsolete.

Some medical journal articles are not available to us, except at great cost. I was lucky that my daughter was in medical school and got them for me. You might be able to get reprints from the authors--Jamieson is in Vancouver at [email protected]

Latest posts

Back