Cops On Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHEEPDOG

I LIVE IN BUFORD, GA. AND WORK IN ATLANTA, GA
Ok, I Need Some Help From Those In The Know. I Am A Police Officer And I Am Looking At AN AVR (AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT, I THINK AVR IS THE ABREVIATED VERSION) In July. I Really Dont Want Another Surgery In 10 - 15 Years So I Am Leaning Towards A Mech Valve. I Dont Think My Department Will Let Me Work On The Meds Though I Think Others May. Are There Any Cops Out There On Coumadin? What Are The Physical Restrictions? How Does Pt Affect Levels? Help!!

Thanks

Last edited:
I have been a cop for 24 yrs and have had a valve repair and I am on coumadin temporaily. I have a coworker that has been on coumadin for 2 yrs and it hasn't been a problem and no one at the agency has restricted him.

Sheepdog it seems to be different for every agency. Some have no problems with it, others treat you like your an invalid which is far from truth. Have you checked your agencies policy? May I ask how old you are?

There should be no restrictions after a thorough recovery. This can be as little as 6 weeks and as long as one year. Use common sense. If your up against someone wanting to cut you, do your best to subdue the subject before he can or find something to block his advances with. Even if you weren't on Coumadin, if you get involved with a knife fight, your going to be in trouble.

The more active you are, the more Coumadin you'll require to maintain your INR range. This is because you have more blood flowing and filtering through the liver.

You may want to check out Al Lodwick at www.warfarinfo.com

Here is an excerpt from one of his publishings:
A police officer was barred from duty standing along a parade route in New York because he was taking warfarin. This was after September 11, 2001 when so many of New York's finest lost their lives in the World Trade Center.

http://www.warfarinfo.com/outrageous.htm

Well if it doesn't interfere with your duties or place ur co-workers saftey in jeopardy it shouldn't be a concern, unless there's something in the procedure and policy. However, there's a fine line of discrimination if they start to question you about returning to full duties because of the meds ur on. You should consult with ur police officers association (Union) first and prepare ur self in case somebody in ur department should have a "concern" before u return to work. Thats the road i would take. I've been a police officer for 11 years, just had valve replacement on April 04/08-mech valve on warfarin for life..

Joe
Mech valve 04apr08

Before AVR, I researched these issues very thoroughly, then decided unequivocally to use the xenograft. The adamant insistence on metal valves for those of us who are young enough to potentially have a reoperation has really diminished in the past couple of years, as some important 2007 and 2008 outcome studies have shown evaluated the outcomes with types of valves.

Before AVR, I researched these issues very thoroughly, then decided unequivocally to use the xenograft. The adamant insistence on metal valves for those of us who are young enough to potentially have a reoperation has really diminished in the past couple of years, as some important 2007 and 2008 outcome studies have shown evaluated the outcomes with types of valves.

Can you provide more specific details?
Can you cite the studies?

Hi Sheepdog - Welcome to the site; glad you found it. It has already been said that you would probably want to find out exactly what your police departmental policy is in regard to ACT (anticoagulation therapy, brand name coumadin or the generic, warfarin). Take care and post again.

I just talked with my buddy who is a Sgt with Columbiana County SO. He said their agency would not even allow you to return to work until you were off Coumadin.

I think you need to follow Duncanjo's suggestions and if you need to, see if Al Lodwick can help you in any way.

on-x

on-x

I did some checking about this ON-X valve. The clinical trial is at Emory Hospital in ATLANTA. The Aortic Valve recepients, with no other medical probs, are on Plavix and baby asprin. Now, should I be able to choose the valve or is that a DR thing? Does Insurance (bule cross/bule shield for me) have a say? I dont know if I'll get into the trial but the fact that they have one is pushing me toward the ON-X.

Usually, the patient carries a lot of weight on the valve choice. However, a surgeon could find that once in the OR, that another valve might be preferable.
But, generally, a surgeon will listen to the patient on valve preference.

Sheepdog:

Have you considered a Ross procedure? That may be an option for you. Not all surgeons will do a Ross, so you may need to do some googling.

BTW, when you asked about Blue Cross/Blue Shield: Don't think your insurance company has a say in the type of valve. However, it does have a say in which hospital and the doctors are in network.
My husband has BC/BS and had opted for a mechanical valve, if his MV could not be repaired (see my sig line). His surgeon was able to repair the valve.

I have been a police officer in the metro Chicago area for 24 yrs. In 2002 Developed infection while working a death investigation. Infection missed and went to my heart taking out the Aortic valve then mitral went too. Both replaced with mechanical St. Jude. The docs never said no police work. The police dept. never questioned my return to duty. Some police depts. will others won't. I have even gone for INR checks in uniform no one ever asks any questions. If you are not ready to retire then if you have to fight like hell to stay on active duty status.

Y cant cops be cops and not docs.

Y cant cops be cops and not docs.

gf1962, I have found out about different depts. having different opinions. I have a friend that recently went through a medical for another dept. and asked about my situation. That doc. said i would be fine if my doc gave me a letter with a clean bill of health. That dept is 20 miles north of Atlanta. Im sure i can find a doc that knows the facts somewhere close. I waited 20 years to get in to "the job" and don't plan on going out without a fight! I just talked to my Dr's PA who said he usually uses an ON-X valve. He won't say OK to the study meds (legal reasons) but if I have it in place if the study shows it's OK than I an one step closer. This settles both my questions. They also work out of a MUCH closer hospital also. Im happy!!!

Good luck don't give up. I should mention that it helped that one of our high ranking officers received a valve replacement before I received mine. That began a "past practice". You waited a long time I admire that you had such a strong goal achieved. I will be retiring in about four years or so. after thirty years in our area you are woking for very little money.

Latest posts

Back