Cooling the body down freaks me a bit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Went to the Dr. a few days ago to discuss surgery. He was explaining how since they will be replacing part of the aorta that they will be cooling my body down, taking all the blood out and keeping my brain alive on the heart/lung machine. I of course like any good patient that wants to know what is happening went home and googled it. I have to stop doing that! It scared me to think I would be clinically dead. I am not scared to die (so I say so today, maybe not tomorrow)... but I am scared to leave my husband, kids and family behind.

Is anyone else freaking about this?

Went to the Dr. a few days ago to discuss surgery. He was explaining how since they will be replacing part of the aorta that they will be cooling my body down, taking all the blood out and keeping my brain alive on the heart/lung machine. I of course like any good patient that wants to know what is happening went home and googled it. I have to stop doing that! It scared me to think I would be clinically dead. I am not scared to die (so I say so today, maybe not tomorrow)... but I am scared to leave my husband, kids and family behind.

Heart/lung machine is a standard part of the process - they've done it thousands of times. There's really nothing to worry about (any more than anything else, anyway). We've all been through it, and you will come through fine. Best of luck to you.

It can be really overwhelming to consider, given the complexity and all the 'things' that we don't truly know and understand. Believe me, I was pretty freaked out about all of it. Yes - you'll likely be fine. Whether you'll be able to stop worrying about it is a different matter. The surgical teams do this routinely and you're putting your life in their hands for a few hours.

I found that trying to focus the worrying on the things I could control (getting the house ready, etc. etc) helped a bit. Personally, there's not way I wasn't going to worry.

FWIW, my surgeon said he did comparable surgeries about 60 times per year, and he even does heart transplants. I know what a big deal this is for the patient, but for an experienced surgical team it's just another day in the office. It's surprising how quick the recovery from OHS goes.

I'm with AZ Don. For us it may very well be the biggest thing ever. For our care teams, it is truly just another day at the office. While the heart-lung machine sounds scary, you will not even realize that you are on one. When you awaken after surgery you will feel no different because of it.

Hi

...that they will be cooling my body down,

well people fall into icy rivers and that's what happens to them too helps reduce the demand for Oxygen. It keeps them alive. Heaps of parts of the body can tolerate low levels of Oxy but not the brain.

taking all the blood out
well you know they don't take it all out ... I didn't think they even took out most of it.

Organs need to keep running. They do lower your blood pressure. Similar to what happens when your body goes into shock (like in a car accident).

Only its WAY more controlled.

and keeping my brain alive on the heart/lung machine.

that has to be a good thing right? They also keep the other organs alive too ... ;-)

It scared me to think I would be clinically dead.

well actually you will not be clinically dead. Not at all. Brain function will be normal, your metabolites will be normal too. You'll just be in a very deep sleep.

When they determine if someone is dead they have to do a range of tests to ensure they are not simply unconscious or in a coma. You won't be anywhere near that.

Its all fine. I've done it 3 times (don't suggest this as a hobby though) and here I am. I know that one feels anxious (I still did) but its best not to overblow it.

:)

I found it mildly unsettling; however, it's what needs to be done; it's managed and controlled by professionals who know what they're doing and do this regularly. You won't really be clinically dead, as you'll still have brain waves and all your organs will still be oxygenated. It's just that your heart won't beat for a while.

JAYHAWK: It is understandable to be freaked out.....I was until I saw the video whose link is in my signature.
The process is called DHCA with RCP- Deep Hypothermic Cardiac Arrest with Retrograde Cerebral Perfusion. The video link is my surgeon describing the whole process. I actually saw this pre-surgery and found it to be comforting not scarey. The only thing difference is I now have a mechanical valve not a tissue valve.
Being an engineer the process made so much sense to me. I am now going on seven months post op and I am doing just fine. My surgeon does over 200 surgeries like this per year. Mine was one of the more complex. My total time in the operating room was 9 hours. Have total confidence in your doctors and the hospital and you will do just fine.

Last edited:
My grandfather likes to talk about his little brother who had (successful) open heart surgery many years ago, and, as he puts it, "They packed him in ice." Everything old is new again?

Back