Cooker's Throwdown Friday III ... 11-11-11

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
Greeting Throwdowners!!! I am posting this thread with a 1.5 pound gain from last week ... milkshakes are my master:rolleyes2: ... TheChimp is out of control. Nothing else to say except..... HAPPY 70TH BIRTHDAY SUPERBOB!!!!! ... Our resident superhero is turning 70!!! ... I tried to have an 11 pound loss for the race in Bob's honor but that did not work ... so I tried to keep it at an 11 pound gain and that did not work ... so all can do is lift a frosty glass of cookie and cream milk shake in Bob's honor!!!

Bob, we salute you and thank you for your contributions to the Throwdown, your humor and your friendship!!!

Sprint To 11-11-11 Starting Weight: 207.5
Last week: 220.5
This Week: 222.0
Race Stats: +14.5

Thanks for the early birthday wishes, Mr. Chimp! Are those banana pudding milkshakes? Could have worse things as a foodstuffs master -- I guess peanut butter is Superbob's No. 1, though many other items are in the running (including scones of course). ;)

Superbob started the Race to 11-11-11 at 117.934 kg and ended it at 117.934 kg. (Okay, that is 259 pounds and 15.99 ounces. :p ) -- a lot, but don't forget the steel. And also when you're hitting the big Seven-Oh!, the status quo is not such a bad thing. :p

Superbob's seven decades have been filled with many blessings, one being the friendship of all you wonderful heart buddies. Thank you for all you add to my life, and for putting up with my not so infrequent whining about fights against the infirmities of advancing age. Superbob is determined to vanquish them one by one! :thumbup:

Starting race weight: 157
Ending race weight: 159
Gain of 2 pounds

But not to worry! I'm on track; I've got a plan; I'm following it.:wink2:

No early birthday wishes for me. Bob can savor the last day of 69 before starting his 70th year of battling evil and injustice.:thumbup:

On a serious note, we received word yesterday that a surgeon Bob has collaborated with on designing a device to remove mucus plugs from ventilator patients without having to reintubate them, had an aneurysm rupture in his splenic artery. He was at home with his wife and children when he recognized something was wrong, but thought he had time to get to the emergency room. He had his wife take the children (8,5 and 3) to a friend's house, and when she returned he was unconscious and unresponsive on the floor. He was rushed to the hospital, later airlifted to a bigger medical facility, where they operated. He coded twice during surgery, but is alive and sedated on a ventilator. He is only 42 years old.
I find it very ironic a man who worked so many years to create a device to help ventilator patients now finds himself on one, and of course, I wonder if he doesn't have a previously undiagnosed connective tissue disease like many of us do. More importantly, it is a reminder that no day is promised to us, and each one is a gift.

What a reminder that is Duffey! I am many times guilty of not recognizing just how much of a gift that each day is. Prayers for your friend and his family!

Best wishes Mary on your new regimen! Two pound gain isn't bad at all. Life is a challenge after all!

Superbob, here's wishing you a quick knee replacement surgery scheduling. Maintaining is also alright in my book!

Cooker, 1.5 is not bad for being under so much stress. Not to make a big deal out of it, but high stress is so difficult for anyone to deal with. Hoping for a turnaround in your stress level!

I weighed this morning and I jumped off the scale quickly before it changed its scaley mind. I weigh 183.9, which is down 1.7 from last week. For the race I'm down 1.5.

This is a victory especially considering we spent the weekend in Georgia at my stepdaughter's home. She made two gourmet meals that contained zero percent lite. Penne Rustica and Boeuf Bourguignon (fancy for Beef Burgundy). Oh My My they were exceptional, truly magnificent. I like food and I guess it shows.

Starting race weight: 157
Ending race weight: 159
Gain of 2 pounds

But not to worry! I'm on track; I've got a plan; I'm following it.:wink2:

No early birthday wishes for me. Bob can savor the last day of 69 before starting his 70th year of battling evil and injustice.:thumbup:

On a serious note, we received word yesterday that a surgeon Bob has collaborated with on designing a device to remove mucus plugs from ventilator patients without having to reintubate them, had an aneurysm rupture in his splenic artery. He was at home with his wife and children when he recognized something was wrong, but thought he had time to get to the emergency room. He had his wife take the children (8,5 and 3) to a friend's house, and when she returned he was unconscious and unresponsive on the floor. He was rushed to the hospital, later airlifted to a bigger medical facility, where they operated. He coded twice during surgery, but is alive and sedated on a ventilator. He is only 42 years old.
I find it very ironic a man who worked so many years to create a device to help ventilator patients now finds himself on one, and of course, I wonder if he doesn't have a previously undiagnosed connective tissue disease like many of us do. More importantly, it is a reminder that no day is promised to us, and each one is a gift.

Ohmygosh, Mary -- that's really scary, and ironic, and instructive -- all at the same time. Very glad that he has pulled through -- praying for a full recovery.

You are so right about the fragility of life -- something we need to recognize every day, along with our blessings.

As far as your new TD plan, you get a big :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And also a thumbs-up for Wise --- he might well win a silver or bronze medal in this particular race.

After Our Challenge to Maintain, will we be having another sprint to Saint Paddy's Day? That was one of my favorites -- maybe it was the thought of green beer at the conclusion.

Will be trying to limp the Walk to End Alzheimer's here Saturday morning -- and then use my referral to an orthopedic surgeon next week. : )

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Bob!

Today I am at 138.1. That's what, up 0.4 from the Friday before labor day?
But Wednesday I was at 137.1 I KNOW I just need some of that prune juice....

Goal through 1/1/12 will be to stay RAAHHHT CHEER! (that's southern for "right here.")
Working hard to stay in the same place.

Hi Everyone

Happy Birthday SuperBob!

Final weigh in for the race 195 a 11lb loss - I was hopin for 11 on 11/11/11
Chest 40" was 42
Waist 37" was 38 1/2
Bottom 40", never looked at that but thought it might round out the picture
Ht, 6'4", geeze I turned into a bean pole!

Hope I can maintain this...Thanks for the company on getting lost.

Bob

Hi Everyone

Happy Birthday SuperBob!

Final weigh in for the race 195 a 11lb loss - I was hopin for 11 on 11/11/11
Chest 40" was 42
Waist 37" was 38 1/2
Bottom 40", never looked at that but thought it might round out the picture
Ht, 6'4", geeze I turned into a bean pole!

Hope I can maintain this...Thanks for the company on getting lost.

Bob

Congrats, Bob.:smile2:
Now let's see the picture to prove the measurements.:wink2:
(Is that considered sexual harassment?):eek2::biggrin2:

Great Job everyone. I'm down 2 lbs this week but boy I am struggling. Trying to maintain through the holdidays.

Good going, Earline!:thumbup: I got my third day of "the plan" in so I'm feeling pretty good myself.

Hey Cooker! How many glasses of prune juice have you consumed in 24 hours?:tongue2:

Superbob, hope you celebrated your birthday in an appropriate manner!:smile2:

LOL ... What would this forum be without a comedian or two?:rolleyes2: ... No prune juice for TheChimp thank you:tongue2: ...

Lot's going on this past week, Cort's surgery, Bob's 70th birthday ... I have been concentrating on my new plan and assault on flab ... when I weighed in at 222 on Thursday something clicked or snapped (my pants button:eek2:) and I decided I was headed for trouble if I did not hit the brakes ...

I was at 218 this morning :thumbup: ... I'm praying that the downhill slide continues!!!

With the sprint behind us and the beginning of the "maintaining through the holiday season" challenge starting up I just want to wish everyone good luck ... maybe we can track weight and activity ... kind of hold each other accountable ... just a thought ... I'm starting my walk now, to the coffee pot and back to the computer:tongue2::tongue2:

Tracking weight and activity sounds like something I would like to do. I walked six miles last week, intend to walk 10 this week, then increase in small increments. We've got a great walking trail near our house that meanders through the city, and with the advent of colder weather, DH and I are taking advantage of it. I weighed yesterday, no loss yet, but I'm confident it will happen.
Good going on the weight loss, Tom. Keep it up and leave the junk food alone.

Superbob now has a roaring case of the creeping crud (or maybe the galloping crud) :eek2: - and no it's not a hangover from the birthday celebrations. He didn't even walk Superdawg yesterday but of course she's not going to allow that to continue. :rolleyes2: SB has a visit with orthopedic surgeon in December to see if anything can be done about his bone on bone knee, and also a final one (hopefully) with the blood doctor to see if he's solved the mystery of declining hemoglobin (probably an effect of meds -- my theory).

Sorry to be so depressing but you can see why SB thought maintenance a good goal for the holidays. Good going Mr. Chimp and Duffster -- you're getting back on track. If any of you want to sprint to New Year's, the resident superhero will hand out mini-scones as you run by. :wink2:

Superbob now has a roaring case of the creeping crud (or maybe the galloping crud) :eek2: - and no it's not a hangover from the birthday celebrations. He didn't even walk Superdawg yesterday but of course she's not going to allow that to continue. :rolleyes2: SB has a visit with orthopedic surgeon in December to see if anything can be done about his bone on bone knee, and also a final one (hopefully) with the blood doctor to see if he's solved the mystery of declining hemoglobin (probably an effect of meds -- my theory).

Sorry to be so depressing but you can see why SB thought maintenance a good goal for the holidays. Good going Mr. Chimp and Duffster -- you're getting back on track. If any of you want to sprint to New Year's, the resident superhero will hand out mini-scones as you run by. :wink2:

Bob... hope you get over the crud quickly ... we both had it and had to get antibiotics to knock it out:thumbup: ... When a knee is boogered up in will put a cramp in superhero activity, I hope you can get relief for it soon.

I think trying to maintain is a great goal ... If I can lose some that will be whipped cream on my pumpkin pie .... I just need to keep my guard up and not throw my hands up and say, "what's the use":thumbup:

Latest posts

Back