Cooker's Throwdown Friday ... 9-20-13

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
Greetings! I hope that everyone has had a great week:thumbup: I'm down a whopping 4.75 pounds this week!!! I know this is unusual for me and I think it is more of an adjustment as I have been trying hard and losing little. Cutting back and staying active I'm sure is the key.

It is good to see the thread activity pick up a bit and a new member!! How has your week gone?

Keep on keeping on:thumbup:

2013 Starting Weight: 231
Last Weigh In : 223.75
Todays Weight: 219.00
YTD: 12.0

This hasn't been the best week for me. I've missed two days' gym time already - life just sometimes gets in the way. On top of that, I was out to dinner yesterday with an old friend, and you know how that goes. . .

I will weigh in tomorrow AM, though. I just want to give my sodium levels another day to normalize after the restaurant battle yesterday. I should also have a chance to get back to the gym after work today, and that will help me to feel that I'm back on track. No kidding - after being a regular exercise nut for all these years, you really do feel guilty when you miss a day or two.

It's a broken record . . . I'll weigh tomorrow! I'm watching grandson every Thursday from here on out so Friday's will probably become my date with the scale, weigh-in day.
Good going, Cooker! That's a substantial amount of poundage to drop in a week!

I guess it would be good if I got in on this. I'll get my first weight tomorrow morning I guess.

Is the idea to, in a friendly and only slightly competititive way, see who lost the most over the previous week?

I guess it would be good if I got in on this. I'll get my first weight tomorrow morning I guess.

Is the idea to, in a friendly and only slightly competititive way, see who lost the most over the previous week?

Welcome to the Throwdown! great to have you join us. We've been doing this weekly now for 7 or 8 years, and at times we've done the weighing-in in a competitive way (always friendly though) -- such as with "races" to particular dates, usually holidays -- sometimes boys versus girls, sometimes not.

Lately we've not done this in a competitive way -- maybe we've mellowed out. Or just rounded out. :biggrin2:

I think we've come to know each other (and ourselves) sufficiently that we know the results of these races before they occur. It's mainly about making progress in the long run instead of short bursts that usually aren't sustained.

I'm open to whatever the group would like to do. (although sometimes I fret that we may have lost a few folks along the way because the racing back-and-forth got a little too intense)....

As I expected - not a good week for the numbers, but a very good week for personal satisfaction. On Wednesday I had dinner with a friend of many, many years. We met at work some 35 years ago, have worked side by side at two companies and have generally stayed in "loose" contact over the years. As we get older, we try to meet and catch up a couple of times a year - one is never sure how many more times we will be able to do this.

Actually, as I get older, I find that I am re-connecting with more friends of my earlier years than new friends. A couple of weeks ago we had dinner with a friend and his wife. We were almost embarassed to realize that this friend and I have known each other for over 50 years. Life is funny that way.

For the numbers, I did backslide a bit, but I'm writing it all off to fluid retention from the restaurant foods.

Start of the year: 164.6

Last weigh-in: 156.2

This week: 158.4

Although I gained 1.2 pounds this week, I am still down 6.2 for the year. I guess that is as expected considering restaurant food and reduced activity. I have my first physical therapy appointment next week to try to get control of my back issues (pinched nerve, arthritis). Hope they can help me to get back on track. Acting like my back is made of glass is getting old. . .

Glad you were able to have dinner with your old friend, Steve. I hope the physical therapist helps with the issues you're dealing with.

I hope the two recent additions to the Throwdown ranks, Suzanne and jmstallard, stop by to let us know how they're doing.
I'm working on getting vacation weight off. I'm down a little more than a pound since last week, so that progress even if it's slow.
Starting 2013 weight: 151.5
Last Weigh In: 150
Today's Weight: 149
YTD: 2.5

I dunno about the need for a competition right now.
I think the goal for this time of year is to not gain, isn't it? With all the holidays coming up, that's going to be my goal!

I've slacked a little on the exercise this week: no noon walks, because of all the evening dog walking, and I skipped the elliptical this morning due to fatigue. The foster dog still asks to go out twice each night. Jet usually only asks once, and then only if one of us is headed to the bathroom anyway.

Last night it started to rain (hooray!! we need it desperately), which means both dogs had to be wiped down before coming back to bed. So we are really AWAKE by the time we are done, and it takes a while to get back to sleep. DH tries to let me stay in bed on weeknights, but still, it's rough not to sleep through the night.

Foster beast is mellowing out a bit the last few days. Either the neutering has kicked in, the "new" has worn off, he's not feeling well because he's still on antibiotics for a bite wound at the shelter, or he and Jet have just worn themselves out! It's exhausting just supervising that pair.

Hello again!

I weighed in over the weekend and had gained a pound. But here I am anyway.

It was a tough week for me in terms of stress. I still get very fatigued and then don't deal well with the slings and arrows coming my way. So, I was back to snacking at my desk. Sigh.

I am hoping for a good week this week. I am running my first 5k ever next weekend. I am fine with the distance. I am slow but the race has no minimum pace. I am a little nervous about the whole experience. I did not sign up because racers get a free pancake breakfast. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Glad to hear from everyone. I hope you have a great week as well. -- Suzanne

Hi Suzanne! I'm glad you checked in. Showing up is half the battle! Good luck with this week-end's 5K. I've never run one, but it's on my to-do list.

Speaking of exercise, I need to get back to the gym . . . mainly to see Ben Affleck working out! Yep, the movie Gone Girl is filming in Cape, and he was seen over the week-end and this morning at our fitness center with his personal trainer. The movie's caused a lot of excitement in our town of 30,000. Now if I can harness some of that excitement and get motivated, I'll be doing good!

Suzanne - I'm envious! I wish I could run a 5K, but my knees just won't hear of it. I used to do about 5K daily as my usual training routine. I didn't really run competitively -- I just enjoyed getting out and logging a few miles every day. Good luck, and I know you will enjoy it immensely.

I'm still making my way through another week. Can't work out at full intensity - that *%$()# nerve in my lower back keeps reminding me that it isn't happy. I don't know what it wants, but at least I have my first physical therapy session on Thursday. That one is supposed to be mainly sign-up and evaluation, but I hope they at least give me some idea of what to expect.

I've been doing a lot of walking. That doesn't seem to aggravate anything, so I have been getting out 2 or 3 times a day for a mile or two each time. Some days I've managed to log 5 or 6 miles that way. It probably helps general weight management, and can't hurt cardio conditioning, either.

Duffey is right, Suzanne -- showing up is half the battle. I'll be doing good if I do that this week 'cause to celebrate our 47th anniversary, DW and I went to the finest seafood restaurant and went with an exquisite appetizer, huge entrees, and then a complimentary huge slab of hummingbird cake doused in chocolate syrup and whipped cream. :eek2:

I will try to do extra exercise today but that was a lot of calories and will probably show on the scales this week.

Good luck with your 5K! I used to run a lot of those, but with my knee replacement, I am not supposed to run anymorel however, walking, biking, swimming are all good. Let us know how you do!

I'm still here. Still unweighed, but that will come. I am still working crazily in my new part-time job.

Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Superbob! Big congrats to Superbob and felicidades a Señora Superbob. That is big deal and sounds like you celebrated it appropriately!!!

Steve I hope that nerve is whipped into submission soon.

Hope everyone is doing well. Welcome new members!!!

Superbob - Many congratulations on 47 years! That is truly an accomplishment, in so many ways. May you have many, many more.

I'm still knocking around here. Had my first physical therapy session this AM for the back and nerve issue. I really think it will help a lot. Although I have some arthritis and other bone issues, the major contributing factor to my pain seems to be the loss of flexibility in the left side of my lower back. They feel that although they may not "cure" the cause, they can do a lot to make it less painful and easier to deal with. Even this soon, after only one session, I feel better. I need to continue to do the exercises thay have prescribed, but if I can succeed at cardio rehab, this should be easy.

I didn't weigh today, but I will tomorrow. Come what may, it feels like it won't be too bad.

Keep on keepin' on!

Superbob - Many congratulations on 47 years! That is truly an accomplishment, in so many ways. May you have many, many more.

I'm still knocking around here. Had my first physical therapy session this AM for the back and nerve issue. I really think it will help a lot. Although I have some arthritis and other bone issues, the major contributing factor to my pain seems to be the loss of flexibility in the left side of my lower back. They feel that although they may not "cure" the cause, they can do a lot to make it less painful and easier to deal with. Even this soon, after only one session, I feel better. I need to continue to do the exercises thay have prescribed, but if I can succeed at cardio rehab, this should be easy.

I didn't weigh today, but I will tomorrow. Come what may, it feels like it won't be too bad.

Keep on keepin' on!

Physical therapy has always helped me --- lower back, heart, knee. I think if I had a life do-over, I might become a physical therapist. They do so much good for people. I am hoping your PT continues to go well, Steve.

And thanks for the anniversary best wishes -- I am a little worried about stepping on the scales this week, given all the celebration feasting. We'll see how it goes. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday.

Superbob: Congratulations to you and your wife. That is truly an accomplishment. I hope you enjoy many more years together. Spending time with loved ones is the best reason for being as healty as you can be. -- Suzanne

Back