Cooker's Throwdown Friday ...10-4-2013

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
Tough week for TheChimp ... STRESS ... I ate the wrong stuff and a lot of it!! I'll try to get it back on track.

I'm up 4 pounds:rolleyes2: How did your week go? Better than mine I hope!! Got to cut this short and get back on the stress wagon:eek2:

2013 Starting Weight: 231
Last Weigh In : 218.00
Todays Weight: 222.00
YTD: 9.0

Don't be too tough on yourself, Mr. Chimp. I still think a good part of your gain is fluid retention and hydration. Have you ever calculated how many excess calories you would need to consume to gain 4 pounds? The standard (IIRC) is that 3,500 calories equals one pound. Four pounds would have to be 14,000 calories! That must have been some party! (How much of it do you remember?)

My usual approach when I have a bad week is to log it and move on, staying with the program. Usually within a week or so, I'm back on track and making progress. I think you will, too.

That said, I'm back on track, I think.

Start of year: 164.6
Last week: 158.4
This week: 157.4
For the week: -1.0
YTD: -7.2

It looks like I'm rattling around a plateau, but at least I'm in my target range. I am apprehensive with winter approaching, though.

Last week I reported that I was a pound and a half above my target zone weight to be achieved by end of 2013, and this week I am reporting that I am two and a half pounds above that target zone, so if my rusty arithmetic skills serve me, that is a one pound gain since last week. :frown2:

I have been plenty active, but I have not been eating sensibly. Hoping that watching my Redbirds in the playoffs won't lead to more nervous eating. Goodness knows what effect watching my rebuilding Tennessee Volunteers try to upset the Georgia Bulldogs will have. :eek2:

I have got to do better and get in my target zone by the end of December -- in fact I need to get well down into that zone in order to have a little allowance for holiday feasting.:thumbup:

Mr. Chimp, you always come back from these setbacks. I know you will do so again. And good goin', Steve -- sounds like you are right on track. Suzanne, stick with us -- I see you had a post that drew no reply for a few days -- sometimes folks just get busy and can't check in. We are very glad to have you with us. How did your cardiologist's visit go?

Last edited:
We're a quiet group this week! I stayed the same, weight-wise, but I do have a better attitude going into the new week. Cooler weather is forecast so my enthusiasm for outside walks is directly proportional to the drop in temperature. My goal is to lose 4 pounds in the next 4 weeks . . . ready, set, go!

I have been a bad chimp and trying to get back on track ... The Gamecocks won but Kentucky put up a great fight!! Broke my heart that the Vols did not beat the Dawgs :frown2:

I have been a bad chimp and trying to get back on track ... The Gamecocks won but Kentucky put up a great fight!! Broke my heart that the Vols did not beat the Dawgs :frown2:

Broke YOUR heart? Think about the heart of this one-time boy who grew up rooting for the Vols every autumn Saturday with his dear old Dad! :smile2: Going all the way back to single-wing days.... But I really believe the new coach there is instilling renewed spirit and some of that was on display yesterday --- what an effort! Overtime loss -- game could have gone either way. Georgia #6 in nation.

I know the Gamecocks are coming to Neyland next Saturday and The Chimp and I will be on opposite rooting sides but I ain't doin' no trash-talking. I know USC is a very good team. I hope to see the same level of effort and continued improvement from the young Vols....I think they will be returning to contention in SEC over the next few years.

Meanwhile, why so quiet here -- everyone too busy savoring Krispy Kremes -- or maybe scones in Superbob's case? :tongue2:

Last edited:
Hi all! Like me, it looks like many of you are going through some transitions as we move from Summer to Fall.

I am down half a pound this week, which means I am back to my first reported weight: 20 pounds lost since early March.

I saw my cardiologist for the tightness in my chest last Tuesday. Like the rattle in your car that disappears when the mechanic drives it, the tightness was gone by the time I saw my doctor. He thought it was probably pleurisy or other inflammation. He did not want to do any other tests unless it reared its head again in a meaningful way.

Better news was that my cardiologist took me off the beta blocker Metopropol. Even though my dose was low, I felt like it was making me tired and – to be honest – cranky. I can honestly say I really feel like my old self again!

I am looking forward to getting back to my walking and running routine tomorrow.

Have a great week. Stay healthy and happy. -- Suzanne

Hi all! Like me, it looks like many of you are going through some transitions as we move from Summer to Fall.

I am down half a pound this week, which means I am back to my first reported weight: 20 pounds lost since early March.

I saw my cardiologist for the tightness in my chest last Tuesday. Like the rattle in your car that disappears when the mechanic drives it, the tightness was gone by the time I saw my doctor. He thought it was probably pleurisy or other inflammation. He did not want to do any other tests unless it reared its head again in a meaningful way.

Better news was that my cardiologist took me off the beta blocker Metopropol. Even though my dose was low, I felt like it was making me tired and – to be honest – cranky. I can honestly say I really feel like my old self again!

I am looking forward to getting back to my walking and running routine tomorrow.

Have a great week. Stay healthy and happy. -- Suzanne

Good goin' Suzanne! Sounds like you are doing better than most of us! :thumbup: Glad you got good news from the cardio.

Last edited:
Nice going, Suzanne! I sort of envy those of you who can "kick" the metoprolol habit. I still take 25 mg/day, and I'm sure I still have some of the side effects. My cardio, however, doesn't want to let me toss it. One of these days I might ask about a substitute, but for now I can deal with it.

I'm glad I weighed last Thursday, and afraid to go near a scale now. What a weekend. My wife and I had dinner Friday in Chicago's Greektown. I hadn't been there for 20+ years, but those restaurants can really put on a spread. Then Saturday was Bar-B-Que at Sweet Baby Ray's. Sunday we went to a local symphony concert, and then out for dinner at a regional Italian restaurant. Triple whammy - 3 major meals out at restaurants - and none of them had a "health conscious eaters" menu! At least I have a few days to work off the sodium from all the sauces.

Back