Complications but made it to the other side

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azzurri

Thought I would post about my recent AVR experience since I have derived so much support and comfort from lurking on this site for the last three years. I'm a 47 year old male who was diagnosed with severe aortic regurgitation and a dilated aorta three years ago. I had my AVR (On-x) and aortic graft procedure done at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago on March 18. The surgery itself went well but by the fourth day after surgery I started to notice that it was getting more difficult to walk rather than easier. They did an echo on me and noticed some fluid build up around my heart (pericardial effusion). The size of the effusion was described as small to moderate and they initially took a conservative approach hoping that the effusion would just get reabsorbed by the body. I had an echo done on the next two consecutive days which showed no changes and they were considering sending me home but it just didn't feel right when I tried to walk and my heart was racing in the low 100s even while at rest. On the sixth or seventh day, I fainted in the bathroom while shaving. Basically just fell forward into the sink. Not sure how long I was out. Thereafter, they decided that we needed to drain the pericardial effusion which, I was told, could be done by using a long needle (amnio) or by reopening me (gulp!). After much discussion, it was determined that the amnio was too risky and they would have to reopen my sternum to do a pericardial "washout". As you might imagine, I was pretty bummed out at that news.

A couple hours before that second surgery, I went into afib and my heart was racing out of control (with rate over 150) with my blood pressure plumeting downward. That was a scary morning. They brought me into the operating room where I was cardioverted and then the second open heart surgery was performed. As I recovered from the second surgery, I went into afib again. They started an Amiodorone drip which severely irritated my arms but ultimately was effective in getting me back in rhythm (along with Metoprolol).

After sixteen days, I was finally discharged and have been home slowly making progress. I'm walking a little more each day and I'm being slowly weaned off the Amiodorone.

Obviously, I was disappointed that things did not go smoothly but I kept thinking of others on this site (Steve) who went through significant complications and came out just fine in the long run. And for everyone of us who goes through complications, there are just as many who have a bump-free experience. In fact, on my recovery floor was a 93 year old man who had just had AVR and he was doing laps around the hall at a much faster pace than me!

So thanks to everyone who contributes regularly to this site. I think your contributions are invaluable to those facing AVR and other issues.

Hi Azzurri,

Welcome to the other sides. Unfortunately there are a few bumps after this surgery and you hit a big one. But sounds like you are doing better now and each day you will get and feel better. Everybody advances at different rates.

Anyways, since it appears we are no more than 3 miles from each other, let me know if you want to meet up and talk or if you want a walking partner to get you out and about.

Hi Azzurri,

Welcome to the other sides. Unfortunately there are a few bumps after this surgery and you hit a big one. But sounds like you are doing better now and each day you will get and feel better. Everybody advances at different rates.

Anyways, since it appears we are no more than 3 miles from each other, let me know if you want to meet up and talk or if you want a walking partner to get you out and about.

Thanks Whilst! I may take you up on that. Would be great to hear how everything has been since your surgery. For now, i think I need another week or two before I would be up for a meeting but I'll check back in with you.

sorry to hear about the roller coaster ride post surgery. My best wishes for the remainder of recovery to be plain sailing and unenventful.

Sorry to hear you had such problems post surgery Azzurri….I do hope that things go more smoothly for you now. Look after yourself and make sure 'they', whichever doctor that is, look after you too !

"In fact, on my recovery floor was a 93 year old man who had just had AVR and he was doing laps around the hall at a much faster pace than me!"

Don't those guys just make you crazy? I remember the little old ladies who could lap me easily. It all works out, though.

Anyway, it sounds like we have a number of Chicago area members who have recently completed surgery. Maybe it is time to try to organize a Chicago Group gathering. We used to do this a couple of times a year - meeting for coffee or brunch. Anybody want to start a new thread?

Welcome to the other side. Sounds like you were well taken care -- even with the complications. It sounds like you are doing great now. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

it's gonna be ok, I'm 24 years old 12 days post surgery and it's harder for me to talk or talk as I'm exprecieng shortness of breath post operationa and they told me that his is normal things will get better, i was like you noticing those who is older than me but doing better than me the nurse told me that older people tend to feel less pain as they are kind used to it but younger people tend to feel more pain that's why i was after surgery feeling soooooooo much pain and i meaaan reaaal pain and i as all of kind of pain medications and nothings seems to work but now the pain start to get little better, still trying with enhance the shortness of breath but not yet hope ill get there soon
and hope you will get better and better each day :D

Azzurri - so sorry you went through all of that. another OHS is just horrible. I was readmitted twice since surgery but finally got out yesterday again. No big deals here - well blood clot and suspected pulmonary embolism which turned out not to be. I thought I might have passed you in the hall yesterday (I was racing a 40 something year old man) but saw you got out already. Here's to a smooth recovery for you from here on out.

Glad to hear you are out of the woods.

There is a lot of "happy talk" presurgery, and that's needed before surgery because it is true. However, there is always, as I think of them, "the 2%". Those that don't survive, and thankfully you've escaped that. I met someone last week whose husband passed last year following a BAV and root replacement leaving behind her and two young children. We who survive are truly blessed no matter how good/bad the recovery.

Latest posts

Back