Competitive Cyclist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeroy996

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here but have been reading for months. I had my surgery last Wed the 4th of june. I had the Ross Procedure by Paul Stelzer at Mt Sinai. i went into the procedure with an enlarged heart and a dilated ascending Aorta from a bicuspid aortic valve (the valve was a calcified mess).
My question is; I'm a week out from the op and have been given no restrictions. The doctor said anything was ok as long as I didn't hurt myself. I want to know if you think I should ride my bike. Clearly falling off is a risk, and I intend to be careful. However, the exercises recommended seem too little. I don't bother with the spirometer because I top it out every time.
I don't intend to push my heart rate up but keep it consistent.
I did read the posts about driving but the doctor said I am wired up good and tight.

Welcome to VR.com...Glad you are doing so well.....I think maybe you should call your doctor and make sure you both are on the same page....One week out and no restrictions?????.....I think that it would be wreck-less to bike ride this soon.....I am shocked....I think you asking for trouble....please call your doctor and reconsider your thinking on this.

Please, please, please talk with your surgeon and cardiologist in detail. This site is a wonderful resource for finding out about people's experiences and common concerns, and for getting information that helps generate good questions for your docs and other providers. There are major medical issues, such as the prevalence of aorta issues with bicuspid valves, about which I wouldn't have even known to ask if I hadn't seen some of the postings here. But no one on this site is practicing medicine or is in a position to evaluate your body.

Congratulations on having such a wonderful recovery so far! Whatever the specifics of your treatment and recovery plan, having such a strong, healthy body will serve you in good stead as you get back to 100%!

Best wishes,

Ditto what's been said. I find it hard to believe any doctor would say no restrictions one week post OHS. It takes the same amount of time for the sternum to heal regardless of the underlying heart condition. I had a fairly "simple" mitral valve repair for torn chordea, with no other heart disease or damage, and I was told not to drive for 6 weeks.

Thanks guys, that is a lot more information than I received on my departure. They simply made sure I could walk and climb some stairs. They cut the perkozet the day I left which I found rough. I did not recieve any post op informationon on departure. I received my prescriptions only and when to take them.
i really don't know who to contact - these are the questions I asked before leaving. I will go by your guidelines, you all seem consistent. I have an appointment with the surgeon next Tuesday for another check up, I'll ask more then.

While I'm healing fast, I know I'm not right.

Clarification

Clarification

Yeah, it sounds like you need some clarification about the restrictions thing. I started riding again at about six weeks post-op. I had a tough time handling the bounces and jolts. It really hurt my chest. A new mountain bike with front suspension helped.

Those of us who cycle tend to feel it's not if you crash, but when you'll do it. I had one bad one last summer that resulted in three dislocated fingers and lots of good bruises. I hate to even imagine what would've happened when I flipped the bike and went over the handle bars if my chest hadn't been healed well.

One week post-op sounds too quick to me; people hassled me for pushing the envelope by returning to cycling six weeks post-op. Maybe your surgeon will give you good news and tell you to go for it.

-Philip

I concur with all the advice given so far. I was also in very good condition going into my surgery, and was up and walking that same night.

However, I find it very hard to believe that you were sent home with "no restrictions".

Please don't misinterpret this; but if you were on percoset at the time (it is a narcotic) it is possible you misunderstood your discharge instructions.

We were all "wired up tight", however, the wrong activity can result in a non-union of your sternum which will haunt you for the rest of your life.

4-6 weeks is generally the minimum before they will let you start to drive yourself. The last thing you need is an airbag impacting your chest. It would be prudent to ride in the back seat until then.

Exercise- walking should be the extent right now. Walk as much and as often as your body will allow. Generally no lfting over 10 pounds for at least 8 weeks.

Bike riding; the pressure of your arms against the handle bars is enough to disrupt the healing/union of your sternum. Internally, your heart and aorta are still in the initial stages of repair. Over elevating your heart rate will prove very counterproductive at this time, and might send you reeling backwards.

You should have received specific do's and don'ts from your surgeon as well as the discharge nurse at the time you were released. Additonally, haven't you had or scheduled a follow -up with yur cardiologist?

Please exercise caution until you can get your questions answered by your treating physicians.

My surgeon "owned" my case for 4 weeks and then remanded me back to my cardiologist. Perhaps the surgeon and staff didn't understand your athletic perspective. Please, please be patient. Sounds like you're doing well.

Oooof, makes me queasy thinking about biking less than 3 months post-OHS.

If that's you in the photo ;) then you know that arm use in biking isn't about holding your upper body off the top tube. The amount of torque you will apply to your sternum while pulling on the bars will wreak serious havoc on how your chest will heal. My husband's surgeon is a pretty cautious guy (and I was known in the CCU as the Sternal Precautions Nazi) and he wouldn't let my husband even mow the lawn until 4 months post-surgery because of the lateral forces required to move the mower around corners.

So many times, the docs don't take the time to get to know the patient. Many valve patients are not terribly active so they can be released and told to keep exercising. Competitive athletes are in a whole other class. As you said you are already topping out your spirometer and you can probably exercise pretty hard before you elevate your pulse above recommended levels. I would recommend a stationary bike for a while. Listen to your body and don't overdo it - which will probably be really hard for you.

leroy

leroy

Sorry to tell you this but you need to stay off that bike for a little while. My doc. said the sterum is 80% healed at 6 weeks and is not 100% till 12 weeks. I wanted to ride my bike and he said if I had a fall and hit my chest it would NOT be good! Take care and try and be patient, the body takes time to heal. Debbie :)

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here but have been reading for months. I had my surgery last Wed the 4th of june. I had the Ross Procedure by Paul Stelzer at Mt Sinai.

Welcome Leeroy

Stelzer is a rock star. I know a guy who got Rossed by Stelzer about 15 years ago, and he is currently performing well in Ironman triathlons in his late 60's. Best wishes for a full and excellent recovery. I agree w/ comments of others; don't jeopardize your recovery by an aggressive return to biking. There's a 24 YO jock lady at cardiacathletes.org who has posted about her non-union sternum and torn pec muscles...she is NOT having a good time of it. Plse be patient for a couple of months and you will be better for it.

(I'm a non-competitive cyclist)
image006

Don't rush it, man. Before you know it, that surgery will be a distant memory.

They told me to wait 8 weeks before getting bike on the bike. I waited exactly 8 weeks. Surgery was 11.5 months ago, so I got back on the bike about 9.5 months ago.

Last week I did BRAG-The Bicycle Ride Across Georgia. 442 miles in 7 days. Absolutely no problem. Now, if I had been riding right after surgery and fallen, would I have been able to do this? Probably not.

Take care and give it time. You've got the rest of your life to ride.

briefcase

briefcase

I was forbidden to carry my briefcase and new born baby girl for the first several weeks (or so) until the sternum was healed so I can't imagine the docs will be on board with you rockin out on your bike! at any rate sounds like you will be on the road again soon.
Best wishes,
John

My husband is a competitive tennis player. When he went to cardiac rehab after 1 week -- legs only. No arms exercises for 6 weeks. But now at 8 weeks he is beginning to swing a racquet -- if no one hits the ball away from him -- his feet don't want to keep up with the rest of his body quite yet.

The cardio doc at rehab said make sure to let your cardio know the level of competition you wish to return to. They should be able to come up with a stress test to emulate that level of cycling.

Ditto to the comment: you are not the average VR patient, BUT you bones probably take just as long to heal as anyone else's.

Hello my name is rebekah louise shaw. I had my operation last july i had the pulmoray heart valve replaced i was only in a week after it. but then i started doing normal things which i should not have as i got up one morning and could not walk and had a very high temperture and rushed to leeds and was in for another week. i think its very good you want to get back on your bike but i would take each day as it comes.

I'm curious as to what you doctor said when you told him you were interested in starting back biking.

If I were in your position, I think I'd be sticking with a stationary bike for a little while yet. You can get a good workout without the risk of falls and road bumps. Put the Tour de France on the TV in front of you and go.

Latest posts

Back