colonoscopy while on coumadin-what i learned

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mile high

There have been many posts concerning colonoscopy's and whether to bridge or not to bridge. Since the time I have been a member there has been a shift in the posts of positively using bridge therapy to one of maybe not using bridge therapy.

After reviewing posts here, especially within the last six months, and discussions with both my cardiologist and the gastroenterologist I, along with the doctors, decided to stay on the coumadin for the procedure. The intent was to have the procedure done with no polyp removal and if it was determined that there polyps to be removed then the procedure would be done a second time with the determination of how to handle the coumadin/ bridging part at that time.

To some extent the decision to pursue this path included the fact that there is no family history of problems in this area and that I was having no specific problems. I was having this done only because I had turned 50 and they say that this is a time to have this procedure done.

The result was good. Only one polyp in the rectum which they did remove. Otherwise a clean bill of health.

I had my INR checked the morning prior to the procedure and it was 2.6. So on the low side of the accepted range which I felt was a good place to be for this procedure.

What did I learn? First, you need to have the antibiotics administered either before or during or after the procedure. You need to watch out for yourself on this with other type procedures that require this. Keep reminding everyone that you have a mechanical valve and you need this. These people are very busy and you must watch out for yourself. Second, it gave me my first opportunity to think about and explore the whole bridging or not situation as well as begin to mentally prepare for situations where bridging will have to be done. It is about educating yourself and advocating for yourself.

I hope this helps others.

Mile High

Dear Mile

So glad of your good results. My husband, Tyce, also had his colo done in November w/o bridging.....same results and same rules.....LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT YOU ARE ON COUMADIN BEFORE HAVING THIS PROCEDURE DONE AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE GIVEN ANTIBIOTICS. Tyce's were iv before he went to nana land.....SOOO very important.

Glad to know you're safe for another 5 years.

Evelyn

How about posting the names and phone numbers of the doctors who get it right. No mentions of doctors who do otherwise. That way there can be no accusations of wrongdoing. Just praise for those willing to do the right thing for valvers.

ABSOLUTELY AL...

Dr. Joe Duva 631 727 6122.......and absolutely right!!!
Riverhead, NY
Evelyn

mile high said:
There have been many posts concerning colonoscopy's and whether to bridge or not to bridge. Since the time I have been a member there has been a shift in the posts of positively using bridge therapy to one of maybe not using bridge therapy.

After reviewing posts here, especially within the last six months, and discussions with both my cardiologist and the gastroenterologist I, along with the doctors, decided to stay on the coumadin for the procedure. The intent was to have the procedure done with no polyp removal and if it was determined that there polyps to be removed then the procedure would be done a second time with the determination of how to handle the coumadin/ bridging part at that time.

To some extent the decision to pursue this path included the fact that there is no family history of problems in this area and that I was having no specific problems. I was having this done only because I had turned 50 and they say that this is a time to have this procedure done.

The result was good. Only one polyp in the rectum which they did remove. Otherwise a clean bill of health.

I had my INR checked the morning prior to the procedure and it was 2.6. So on the low side of the accepted range which I felt was a good place to be for this procedure.

What did I learn? First, you need to have the antibiotics administered either before or during or after the procedure. You need to watch out for yourself on this with other type procedures that require this. Keep reminding everyone that you have a mechanical valve and you need this. These people are very busy and you must watch out for yourself. Second, it gave me my first opportunity to think about and explore the whole bridging or not situation as well as begin to mentally prepare for situations where bridging will have to be done. It is about educating yourself and advocating for yourself.

I hope this helps others.

Mile High

Thanks for your insights. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the 28th--and have been debating whether I should bridge or not. My brother is being treated for metastatic colon cancer. I had polyps removed with my scope 3 years ago. My cardio at CCF recommended the "don't stop if you don't expect to find anything, bridge if you do" that we've discussed on the list before, and he knows Dr Jammer, whose article Al referenced last week. I have an appt with my primary next Tuesday so I guess I will get the final word from her then.
I'm leaning toward bridging just because I had polyps before....

Latest posts

Back