collecting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

monker

Not everyone collects things, it's a personal thing I guess.
Beanie Babies, stamps, guns, all kinds of things.

I knew someone who collected pocket combs they had found in the gutter. True!! She had hundreds of them. And this was a professional person with a very good job.

So let's hear about the really weird stuff you collect.

I'm 55 and addicted to toys and action figures.

I collect music boxes. Bought almost none of them. When folks discovered my passion that's what all my presents were from then on. I have all kinds from old tin mill paddle wheel to merry-go-round, sewing machine complete with thread, an old western bar to a church where the minister comes out of the door. But I have so many now that I have tried with little success, to tell folks - NO MORE, PLEASE! Anybody need a music box?

I've started many collections. None ever got very far.

I collect dust, does that count? :(

Ann, sounds like you could make a small fortune on e-bay with those music boxes.

And Ross, judging by the number of replies to this thread you're not the only one collecting dust.

Monker

Monker

I collect post card from places I visited, when family members found out they started mailing me postcard from places they are visiting, needless to say, I have way too many!

My husband and I used to pick up a coffee mug from everyplace we visited, now I gave most of them away, except the really special ones, Like from Paris. Now to replace the cup we are picking up a christmas tree ornament this has been slow going 'cause we haven't traveled much in the pass few years.

My husband has several sets of old trains, working, and the towns that go with them, like plasticville, I think they are great. he alternates putting up a different one each christmas.

I have quite a large collective of partially used drugs pre & post surgery, eventually I'll get around to tossing them out, some of them might sell on e-bay, or the streets of the closest city ( Philly or Camden) I could even wind up on "America's most wanted"
Just jesting!!!

Terry40

I also started collecting pill bottles after surgery. I had so many prescriptions which I only took a few days...

Good idea, Monker - my son is in e-business on eBay - he could sell for me. He accidentally got into e-business by selling odds that he had at home - they sold like hotcakes so he finally got a few lines of goods, went to it full-time and now has his own store besides the eBay site, with 2 1/2 employees! Thar's money in them thar eBay sites, I reckon.

Wouldn't call it "collecting". . .

Wouldn't call it "collecting". . .

Well, I don't think I would really call it collecting (don't ask my wife, though), but over the years I have accumulated a couple of dozen or so fountain pens. Some are antiques of modest value, used daily. Some are current production, also used all the time. In my work, I write a lot, take notes, and sign lots of letters and checks. The fountain pen, with its line and shading variations, gives a signature a neat flair.

I used to collect cars -- had 5 at one time, mostly elderly Chevy Corvairs that I used to race, show and drive to work. None of those left, though -- no time.

Not much time for collecting, but because of that I would bet my dustball collection would rival Ross'!

True Story

True Story

When we first purchased our home here in the Mountains of North Georgia..I was told by many older residents that a Black Bear lived on our property...I laughed it off. That was in the fall..the following spring ..early April I walked out on my front porch and looked at the sky to see what type of day we were going to have..as I lowered my head. there stood at my birdbath this huge bear. He looked at me.. and I went flying into the house. He wandered off.:eek: That was five years ago..now we are best friends every April-June....He even pushed my door in at 4 a.m. 1 month post-surgery. I had just moved back into bedroom from Living room bed. Can you imagine if I had still been sleeping in there:eek: :eek: :eek: When door opened (hubby forgot to give it a good push and turn to lock)....dog began barking and he wandered back off porch. I had left fish food for my outside Goldfish in pond.......He hibernates down below our property in an old log.....so needless to say. I don't collect Black Bears but house is full of them from children, friends, ect. Even have a Black Bear Toilet Paper holder...Bear Crossing sign at driveway..Black Bear fountains and on and on....:D :D :D Will make picture this spring and let Ross post it for me. Bonnie

Use to collect beanie babies. Ebay sounds like a good way to get rid of them. Angles and fairies, charmining tails and heart jewelery are my passion now. Have to be carful how much I collect I don't have the room for all of them. martha

...from travels

...from travels

I collect Nativity scenes from wherever I travel. My favorite is from a mercado in Santiago, Chile and was made of clay and painted by hand. [Who said Jesus was white!] Cost me a whopping equivalent of $11 USD.

Last edited:
Years ago, I was a short-order cook at HO-JOs. At the end of every season, the manager would give away/throw away, the lost and found items. I would keep the cigarette lighters. Just for kicks I started saving them. I now have over 100 lighters. I have only purchased them when I have traveled to some distant, or signicant places. (peggys cove) Nova Scotia for example.

Gisele, If your reading this---Skiied 5 more times, then responsibilities took my time,and I was just getting the hang of it. and yes, I ski-ed, ski-meister, one more time.:D

collectors

collectors

Okay, Ann collects music-boxes and is about to make a forture on e-bay.

Terry40 has a great post card collection, Christmas ornament collection and along with those mugs there's also the toy trains and towns that go with them. (Geez Terry, it's no wonder you don't have room for the mugs.)

JimL will be opening his new pharmacy soon.

Steve collects fountain pens but won't admit it.

Granbonny, I read your post and was surprised to learn that black bears use toilet paper!

Martha, sitting right beside me is the much sought after and very rare "Maple" bear!

Girlie, you forgot to mention the color of the one you got. Green?
Blue? What?

Mamsram, chose cigarette lighters at "lost and found", while the rest of the staff took the cameras, cell phones, rings, and cash!

And Ross is still collectin' dust.

Thanks all of you, for a great read. Keep 'em comin'.

Monker

Bet you longer term members can guess that I collect goatie things and sheep too. Also the Border Collie has gotten into the action too. I have Hummel and Lladro goat ceramics and lots of stuffed sheep and goats. Loved our trip to the Alps...so many goat things! As well as goats along the roadside. My husband collects diecast cars and interesting old engineering tools.

We seem to collect animals. 6 cats and two dogs. That, and we seem to just collect stuff...

Other than my "baby girls"...I collect model cars & HO scale train stuff.... Course, I'm a pack rack, which doesn't help matters...........

Peace...Always,
Cort Stevens...pig's valve & pacemaker-enhanced 29/swm
Instant Messengers...AOL="fc72mc"...Yahoo="knightfan2691"
member, Faith COB, Batavia IL http://www.faithcob.org
My Chevy MC Family & Story = http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/cort
G1=1970-1972...72
G2=1973-1977...76
G3=1978-1980...79
G4=1981-1988...81
Ga=1995-1999...uh, no
Gb=2000-2004...00 *****FOR SALE*****
G5=2005-200?...05...SS, wanted w/V8 & RWD
RIP: 1976=Parents' [my] car ... 1988=Silver Bullet
**********WANTED: 87 MC LS**********
http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html

Collections

Collections

Bill and I collect US licence plates we have around 25, we always try and pick some up when we are on holiday in the US
we then put them on the garage wall and they look great.

Bill also collects Harley T Shirts from all the Harley dealers and Rallies that he has been to he has lots and always says that he is not buying anymore, but when he visits a new dealers he cannot resist.
But at least he does wear them

Keep smiling

Jan

Jan

Jan

Old license plates make a cute roof for birdhouses. I have one on my front porch..Georgia 1966..the year we were married. Just fold them and nail to wood birdhouse frame. We should start a swap on VR..you send me something from where you live and I'll send you something from Ga., ect....We have a Harley shop here in Helen, Ga. where I live..During nice weather hundreds of Harley riders come up here. #1 tourist town in Ga. They even have their own parking in front of their favorite watering holes.:D I love the tee that says..If there is no one riding behind me, the b___h fell off.:D :D :D :D (On the back of his tee)Bonnie

Latest posts

Back