coffee

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Rod Harry

At what point can I begin to drink my 1 or 2 cup a day? I know that it's too soon now, I'm only coming up on 2 weeks post op on my second MVR.

I'm thinking maybe 6 to 8 weeks?

I dont think that I had any symptoms attributed to drinking. I had a few mild mis beats, that came on whether I was drinking coffee or not.. I'm looking at staying safe, and if that means waiting 6 months or a year, or just quitting, then I'm all for that.

I never did cut back on coffee, once I was home I was drinking at least 2 cups every morning.

Same here ... In fact, my cardiologist told me three years prior to my AVR to stop caffeine do to A-Fib ... I remember he asked if I had headaches from caffeine withdrawal ... I said no, he said that was unusual, I said not really, I never quit caffeine ... I drank ?real? coffee first day home from AVR but I also had ablation for the A-Fib ... of course my advice is to follow your doctors instructions .... everyone knows chimps are non-compliant:rolleyes:

I have stopped all caffine except Folgers has a coffee that is called 1/2 cafe and I do drink that every morning at least two cups or three. Never had a problem, it is good coffee and I loved coffee! So try it!

I had coffee in hospital, and one of the first things I did when I got home was to have aREAL coffee - no-one ever said to stay away from caffeine that I can remember, but I never haad probs with a-fib ..

I am almost certain I had some coffee with my meals before I left the hospital. If not, I am sure I resumed it soon after getting home. Can't recall any doctor saying I ought to quit.

Of course, some docs will lecture against all caffeine, just like they lecture against red meat. All things in moderation is my philosophy. If there were a problem with a-fib, I could definitely see holding off on the caffeine.

They served coffee in the hospital when I had my surgery - not that I drunk any. My taste buds were shot to pieces and coffee was the last thing I felt like drinking. Now I'm back to normal and drink 1 or 2 cups a day.
Everything in moderation - that's what my doctor says.

Heck I got some of the nursing staffs stash. Much better then what came from the cafeteria trays.

When I went in for testing the week before, I told the nurse that I had stopped drinking coffee, and she did say "why?"

I had some weird occasional fluttering going on, before surgery, and I thought it might go away if I stopped drinking. They did give me coffee on the breakfast tray, but I just wasn't in the mood, and I thought it would be that watered down crap..

I guess I'll call tomorrow & see what they say.

Two OHS, and no one ever told me to not drink coffee. I had coffee in the hospital within a day or two of my second surgery.

I had coffee in the hospital (even though I couldn't stand the taste of it). I tryed drinking coffee when I got home but it was about 2 weeks before it tasted good. Of course, nothing tasted good for about 2 weeks after I got home!!! No one told me not to drink it so I never stopped. I drink about 3 cups in the morning and 1-2 in the evening. Let us know what the surgeon tells you Harry!!!

i had caffeinated coffee when i was staying in the step-down unit at the hospital. that is one thing if at all possible i am not giving up. i have cut it down to 3 cups a day right now but it doesn't seem to have any affect on how my heart is beating that i have noticed.

I drink decaf coffee & tea after all my procedures, that is of course that the hospital coffee is drinkable.

They gave me coffee in the hospital that was strong she would come ask me if I wanted some? I just don't think a little bit hurts, I just don't drink soft drinks much, never have. But sometimes I will drink some tea straight up, it could not have that much in it to hurt you. I think if you drink it all day long you might have a problem. I just don't like the taste of the strong stuff anymore, after being off of the caffeine for so long.

I love coffee -- beverage, lattes, candy, ice cream, mousse, anything coffee flavored -- and would be up a creek if I had to stop.

My dad, who has a right bundle-branch block, does have to watch his caffeine intake. He generally drinks decaf coffee & decaf iced tea. But he does love coffee ice cream.

FWIW: Coffee ice cream floats are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back