CoaguChek S vs. CoaguChek XS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davros

Hi, I purchased a CoaguChek S in 1999, primarily because I was travelling overseas a lot and wanted to test myself in other Countries. Now that Roche does not support strips for the S model anymore, I wont be buying the later model. Why do this when its free for a lab test? Test in the morning and results phoned through from the Dr. later that day. The only down side is more needles in the arm but as my INR has been stable for a number of years I dont test that often.
Why are others buying the CoaguChek? Is it because your labs charge for an INR test or is it because you are quite remote from a Lab or is it for self management of your Warfarin?
For others who have the S model, what are your views of Roche now they dont suport the unit. Will the same situation occur in say 5 years time for the XS model when they release a new one?

Hi Davos
I've used both the S and the XS. There is a world of difference in ease of use between the two. Not necessarily in order: XS is smaller, strips carry their own quality controls and do not require refrigeration. You know the pre=test tests needed to conform accuracy of the S--none are required for the XS. Although I took the S to England I didn't encounter any problems with it--it took up more space in my luggage. And my S wore out in just less than two years.
Vein draws are covered by insurance. All expenses associated with home testing are paid by myself and all costs are tax deductible at income tax time.
Following 4 years of vein draws the vein was scarred and painful. So I found something better. I would never return to lab draws.
Warfarin is a life-long complication to anything else that complicates my life medically requiring me to do all I can to level the playing field.
I think the later model monitors like my XS will be in vogue for a long time to come and the S should be confined to the scrap heap.
Sandra

The S IS being sent to the scrap heap.

It upsets me to see that people are still selling the S. I've written many times that Roche HAS discontinued the meter. Roche has been very blunt about the meter NOT being for self testers. Roche has made it clear that they will NOT support it after this October. They told me that their supply of strips for this meter should run out before next March.

I'm personally somewhat disappointed that Roche hasn't done more to inform the public that a) home testers should NOT use this meter and b) they will no longer support it after October. For some users (but not for me), they've offered discount upgrades to the XS.

I see vendors on eBay cheating the uninformed by selling the S - sometimes for ridiculous amounts of money. I'm very tempted to try and sell the S that I own on eBay, with a very clear description of WHY NOBODY SHOULD BUY ONE. Perhaps this will kill the sale of this tester by the uninformed or greedy sellers. (I see nothing wrong with selling the strips - people who want the strips probaby already have a meter, and it's not bad to be able to let them continue to use the meter as long as they can).

Oh - although I don't have an XS meter, one of the nice improvements that they've made to the XS is the one made to the strip -- blood can be applied to either side of the strip, rather than trying to put a large enough drop of blood onto a small dot on the strip. This is supposed to be much easier than it is with the S.

(As for how I test -- I started with a ProTime, upgraded to a ProTime 3, and now have an InRatio - which I like much more than either of the ProTime meters or the CoaguChek S)

And, in regards to speculation about the life of the XS -- if it took Roche more than a decade to stop supporting the S, I wouldn't be too surprised if the XS will be supported for quite a long time. By the time a new meter SHOULD be coming out, it is possible that there will be a different anticoagulant available that doesn't require testing to monitor its effects.

Hi, I purchased a CoaguChek S in 1999, primarily because I was travelling overseas a lot and wanted to test myself in other Countries. Now that Roche does not support strips for the S model anymore, I wont be buying the later model. Why do this when its free for a lab test? Test in the morning and results phoned through from the Dr. later that day. The only down side is more needles in the arm but as my INR has been stable for a number of years I dont test that often.
Why are others buying the CoaguChek? Is it because your labs charge for an INR test or is it because you are quite remote from a Lab or is it for self management of your Warfarin?
For others who have the S model, what are your views of Roche now they dont suport the unit. Will the same situation occur in say 5 years time for the XS model when they release a new one?

You have enjoyed home testing with your older "S" model for the past 12 years, that is excellent in itself !!
I bought the newer "XS" model in 2007 and have been blissfully testing at home for almost 4 years.
Yes, testing at the hospital is free, but a hassle for me, and my arm veins weren't holding up very well.

If Roche decides to put another upgraded home monitor on the market in a few years as technology advances,
it will my pleasure to buy it and continue to enjoy this product.
At $500 this has been the best bargain I've purchased in a long time, and the Roche Canada customer service has been
exceptional. :)

Bina:

You didn't sound, to me, like a sales rep for Roche. I'm hoping that I don't sound like a rep for InRatio (Hemosense), either, because I have high praise for the meter I'm using.

In the past, I may have sounded something like a rep for the Protime meters.

What you and I are demonstrating (for me, at least), is the great feeling of freedom and empowerment that being able to self-test gives us. It's not just getting away from the trip to the lab and the blood draw, it's being able to test on your own schedule. For you and me, going from a meter that is not as easy to use as my InRatio or your CoaguChek XS are to one that really makes the testing easier, just makes it that much better. Sometimes it's kind of hard to NOT sound like a sales rep.

Hi

Thanks for your comments. I am a bit alone here with my CoaguChek. I dont know anyone else who had bought one and have been frustrated with the S model. I have found it not easy to get enough of blood for a strip test. Sounds like the XS is a quantum step in ease of use.

Looks like I might have to look at invest in one afterall. Might pay Roche a visit and try one out.

I have a CoaguChek S, and had the same problems you report. I've gone through MANY strips trying to get a good drop.

A few suggestions that may help:

Try running warm water over your hand for a few minutes (this actually helps) before taking the blood.
The location of the incision on the finger also makes a difference. There's a good picture on the InRatio site (yes, I realize that we're talking CoaguChek S here) that shows where on the finger you should make the incision (it's near the fingertip, possibly closer to the nail than you normally think about incising) - and be sure to use the right sized lancet. I use either a 26 or 21 gauge, or a one-time device designed to make a large enough incision. Also, don't be afraid of using a bit of pressure on the lancing device before lancing your finger - it should lance a bit deeper and may get more blood than expected.
For myself - with a cataract in one eye - it's not always easy to put the drop of blood on that little dot - a pair of reading glasses sometimes helped me position the blood in the right place.
Try putting pressure on your fingertip, above the last knuckle after making the incision - it should help with the blood flow to the incision site.
You might also try using a capillary tube (they sell these for blood collection and are listed on eBay in the InRatio pages, but they should also work with a CoaguChek S). These things didn't work well for me the one time I tried them - but you may have better luck.

If you still have strips, you may as well TRY to get a big enough drop for the CoaguChek S. (Also - remember that this meter is designed to take blood within 15 seconds of making the incision - and also that you shouldn't try to 'milk' your finger to get enough blood).

When it's time to move from the S (because you probably won't be able to get the test strips - and even if you do, they'll expire next March or April), you will find that the CoaguChek XS or the InRatios and possibly even a new ProTime meter should be much easier and more convenient. You may even wonder why you put up with a more difficult meter for as long as you did. (I would have continued using my ProTime if I hadn't gotten a great deal on an old InRatio).

I go to a hospital lab for my vein draws. I call the lab in about 2 hours and get the results. I am never sure when mt doctor will call me to give me the result. The lab is only 3 blocks from my home. I am relatively stable so I usually test every 4 to 6 weeks. It costs me zero to use the lab.

I have been doing this for 22 years and have had no vein problems. The techicians are skilled and the needles are very sharp.

I go to a hospital lab for my vein draws. I call the lab in about 2 hours and get the results. I am never sure when mt doctor will call me to give me the result. The lab is only 3 blocks from my home. I am relatively stable so I usually test every 4 to 6 weeks. It costs me zero to use the lab.

I have been doing this for 22 years and have had no vein problems. The techicians are skilled and the needles are very sharp.

You're fortunate that the lab will give YOU the results. Some have reported here that labs refuse to give them -- the patient -- results w/out reporting such to the Dr.'s office first.

I think we are entitled to have medical records released to anyone including yourself. Before a draw, I sign a form which specifies that I want the results mailed to me or I would phone for the results. The physician automatically receives the results. If you have a self monitoring device, you will see the results before the physician sees it.

This may be a Federal law.

I would hope most HMO type clinics have their own coumadin clinic and then test with a coaguchek XS or other machine, using just a finger poke.
It seems silly to send people to a lab for a vein draw for an INR, when the machines are so readily available.

Latest posts

Back