Clumsydancer Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clumsydancer

Hello everyone, I am now post op and wanted to keep everyone up to date. I have to admit, the surgery is hell. It sucked everything out of me and took all the courage I had to go through with it. Having said that, I am only 1 week post op and I can tell things are better, though I can't do much yet, I can just tell my oxygen is better and that I will benefit from more energy than I have had in a long time.

It turns out that I did not have a bicuspid aortic valve. When they went in they found a perfect hole in one of my leaflets. Does anyone know if that is congenital? They sent the valve to pathology, but I haven't heard anything back. Doc said it was dime sized and perfectly round. Any information you guys have on that would be great!

For those looking to go into surgery, it is tough, I will not lie. But, like I said, one week post op and I can tell I am going to be much better. All I have to do is manage my Coumadin, but that doesn't seem too bad.

Nate

Nate: Welcome to other side. Everyone's situation is different. Glad to hear you have optimism and you can see that things will be getting better for you. As complex and lengthy as my surgery was I felt it wasn't that bad. However, my post-op recovery with non-heart related complications were hell. I am now day 26 post-op and each day gets better and better. My walking pace and stamina continue to improve. I usually take 4 half-mile 12 minute walks per day . Yesterday I walked my first mile. I did it in 22 minutes. I am finally able to sleep on my side. I am sleeping great no need for chemical assistance. Keep up the good work and you will be comforted as you see dramatic improvement in your post-op recovery. This past week my improvements were dramatic. My lungs are finally back to normal. Looks like we finally locked in my Coumadin dosage for a stable 2.7 INR. It is nice that I will only need blood draws once a week instead of two. Eventually this will be once per month. If this is true I will probably not home test as it is very convenient to get blood draws 2 miles from home.:thumbup: So what was your valve of choice?

Last edited:
Hi Heart,

Sounds like you are having a good recovery. I am up to walking 7 minutes twice a day today, going for 8 minutes twice tomorrow. I am optimistic, though I am certain I have obstacles to overcome.

I am sleeping on my right side at times, but only on my couch. I have yet to make it into my own bed, but am going to try tonight. I'll follow up with that tomorrow.

Sounds like you have your INR worked out pretty well. I hope mine is as quick so I can get to the once a month. It isn't inconvenient.

Nate

Well done clumsydancer,

Wishing you a smooth and speedy recovery.
Interesting about the hole in the leaflet- not heard of that one before.
Anyway best wishes.

Adrienne :cool:

Roger that Cooker, lol. I did a ten minute walk today and it is such a nice day, I think I will do at least two more. My apatite never suffered, I have been eating since surgery, though hospital food was terrible so I had nothing but fruit. I have to say, from day to day I feel better and better. I'm starting to become optimistic about my life again and it feels good.

That's great to hear Clumsydancer. Congratulations on the successful surgery and recovery thus far. You're lucky that your appetite didn't change. My appetite hit the skids for about two weeks post op.

Nate, I wanted to reply to your post and mention that you can walk a bit more at this stage. No need to lift heavy weights or run, but you should be able to do lots more walking. It's no easy task, but a tiny bit of pushing yourself is allowed. The more you walk the faster you will feel better. Your body will adapt and let you do more. Just like any exercise, the more you push (within limits, of course) the more you get ;)

Looking forward to hearing more updates on your recovery.

Thanks for the feedback Gymguy. I concur and am stepping it up. The weather has been crappy lately but it's clearing. So, it's pleasant and I'm gonna push harder.

I so believe walking is the single best thing we can do to aid our recovery.
Walk, walk, walk.

I know for sure walking made a huge difference for me and helped me not only physically but emotionally as well.
I made sure each walk was at least two or three houses further than the one before it. (I don't live in an area where people live on an acre of land. :) )

I wanna walk more, but the weather is kinda crappy. I can't wait for sunshine and warm breezes on my walks. I live in Missouri, weather here is a crap shoot.

Latest posts

Back