Clearing some things up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

This is a multi-faceted question or statement that I need some answers on, so I hope you could help me out here.

I have seen a lot of people on here that apparently left the hospital post-surgery in AFIB or suffering from it in conjunction with their surgery. For you surgery veterans, is this typical or a condition a majority of patients experience?

What is the typical amount of time it takes for people to come out of AFIB?

From a progressive standpoint how many times per day should I be walking and for how long/how far at let's say two weeks post surgery?

Should I still be using the spirometer at two weeks post surgery?

I know how much rest is important and it would seem prudent that you should nap when you feel like it, but I worry about being in bed/laid down too long and risking pneumonia. Am I being unduly scared about this concern?

Finally, I realize how serious and complicated my AVR and aorta sugery was, am I expecting faster results as far as getting better as being unreasonable?

Thanks for your responses and hopefully the answers are broad enough in scope that others in my situation will benefit from your answers!

Canon4me,

I can't really give you anything on the Afib thing, as I only had it pre surgury and it lasted 6 hours until the cardiologist on call at the ER decided a cardio version would be better than trying to bring me out of it with meds.

As far as walking, I started to walk a hour a day at first week home, 4 walk of 15 min each, all of it was in my home as we had sub zero weather and a foot of snow outside in Dec. I would keep track of my walking time on my IPhone with the stopwatch. By week 3 I started to use our treadmill at home for a hour a day. I started cardio rehab twice a week at week 4, and did the other days on my own. I just wanted to get back to where I was pre surgury and beyond. I went back to work at 10 weeks, pulled a 30 day hitch, that was a shocker. Since my Afib event 2 months prior to surgery, I began taking better care of myself. I have lost the 30 lbs. I had extra, and have maintained it for the past 5 months. I've had some tough days, don't get me wrong, but the good ones are out weighing the bad for sure. Ive had to play with the meds to get the right fit also. I just want to feel normal again, like everyone else.

I stopped using the spirometer at week 4, soon as I started rehab. Never really had a breathing problem after a week out tho, found deep breathing while exercising was tough for awhile, when sturnum was healing. I think everyone's expectations of where they should be, and where they want to be, is different, and I too felt at times it was going to slow. Today I know its a work in progress and things come back different for everyone. So I don't think its unreasonable to expect faster results, we all want to get better faster. Everyone's heals different, but we all heal, and I'm grateful for that.

Take care of yourself, eat, rest, exercise, things will get better each day.

Oilman, thanks for your reply. That's exactly the type of information I was looking for!

canon, Don't despair. Each of us recovers at our own pace. I had all kinds of trouble after surgery - some directly related to the surgery itself (afib, getting used to pacemaker, meds, etc.) and some indirectly related (nasty digestive problems for a full month). I was finally re-admitted to the hospital a month after heart surgery to sort out all the digestive mayhem caused by the pain meds. I didn't get to start rehab until I was 12 weeks out. For the first 4 weeks, I could only walk for 10-15 minutes a couple of times a day. From week 5 through about 12, I was able to walk a mile or so each day on an indoor track. I started rehab in week 12 and was there 3 days a week and at my own fitness center the other 2 days, doing the same routine as at rehab. Even with all the problems I had, I was back at my office job around week 5 or 6, although I started back part time and worked gradually back to my usual 50-60 hour weeks.

My recovery seemed to be going very slow until I started rehab. From then on, it was flying. Now, over 2 years out, at age 65, I feel that I can do more now than I could do 5 or 6 years ago. I'm stronger, more confident and just happier with my life. Yes, I have some limitations, but they don't get in the way of my life. Some things are not easy to do with a pacemaker. It takes about 15 seconds to realize that I need my heart rate to increase. So, if I am not naturally pacing (which I sometimes do), then it will take a bit of time to adjust to increased activity. I guess that means that I don't play tennis or baseball - but I didn't play those sports anyway, so no loss to me. But other than pacemaker-related situations, I have no restrictions imposed on me by either my docs or my body. Life truly is good - and I believe that you will come to a similar place when your body is ready to say so.

Thanks, Steve! Your messages are always so informative and uplifting. They making coping with recovery that more tolerable.

Canon: My surgery was on 6/6, so I am a rank amateur like you.

I was given a workbook at discharge with goals for each week. Starting with the second week after discharge, I am doing a morning "endurance" walk. On the first day of the second week, I walked 5 minutes out and 5 minutes back. After that I add 1 minute each way each day. I also walk some every hour and do one more sustained walk each afternoon.

I use the spirometer 6X each day, as I still am having issues with deep breathing.

Per my workbook, I should need fewer pain medications by the end of the second week post-discharge. I'm not sure how applicable this is, however, as I have not taken anything stronger than Tylenol since discharge.

I hope this helps. -- Suzanne

Just one thing to add to the good advice you've been given: my discharge instructions specifically said to get up, shower, and get dressed every day, put your feet up when you're sitting in a chair to rest, but don't go back to bed during the day. The idea is that you're not an invalid, but recovering. Also, get your doctor's advice on how long to use the spirometer. It really is important.

Canon, I would agree with the post by DebbyA. I too would get up each morning, shower, wash my hair (lots of night sweats for about a month post surgery). Get dressed and try to eat a light breakfast. At first I started walking 4 times a day to the end of my drive way. The the following week to the end of my block (( live on the corner) so end of block is about 30 feet from end of drive. In any case, I extended walks a little each week but still walked 4 times a day. Naps are not a bad thing if your body tells you to rest. I used my spirometer until about 4 weeks after surgery, (however about 2 days after getting home from hospital, I swallowed some food too quickly and coughed for about 5 minutes!!!!). But my lungs did expand.
Anyway, just cut yourself some slack. I'm not thinking you need to become a couch potato but you also need to allow your body some time to recover from the shock of being handled like a christmas goose. You will get your strength back soon enough and then all this will be just a memory. Best wishes to you.:biggrin2::thumbup:

Just one thing to add to the good advice you've been given: my discharge instructions specifically said to get up, shower, and get dressed every day, put your feet up when you're sitting in a chair to rest, but don't go back to bed during the day. The idea is that you're not an invalid, but recovering. Also, get your doctor's advice on how long to use the spirometer. It really is important.

This is EXCELLENT advice!!!!

I didn't have AFIB, and I really don’t remember how far I walked during my recovery, but I do remember doing what DebbyA posted above - that and an accepting attitude of what I was and was not able to do on any given day really helped me.

I know I walked at least twice a day, but the distance would vary depending on how I felt. I know I napped almost every day and the time for those would also vary. I took one day at a time and blessed each morning when I woke up because I was alive!

It did take me about a full year to feel “normal” and now I’m two years out and I feel GREAT – Try to be patient, you will recover – it just takes time.

You're doing great so far!

All great advice I'm hearing from each person. I probably will walk 3 times daily but will go for longer distance and a decent pace. My pace this morning I was doing fine and my wife was having a hard time keeping up. I think an important thing is once I'm up, if I feel like resting sit upright with good posture in a chair because lying down can somewhat compress the lung area and sitting in a chair with good posture can aid your breathing. I'm also taking musinex during the daytime to help keep clear.

canon - Good point on the Mucinex. That was (and still is) the only med that my docs recommend when I have sinus problems. Due to a few other complications ("middle-aged guy stuff"), I have been told not to take decongestants when I have sinus problems, so the mucinex helps it to drain.

Latest posts

Back