Choosing a Surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarbJean

We live upstate New York, outside of Albany, in La
Hi to all. I am new to this board, but I am so thankful I have found it. It has given me sooooo much info. Last week, my 24 year old son was told that it was time for aortic surgery. He was diagnosed at age 5 with Marfan Syndrome. For 20 years, I have waited for the day to come, but the initial shock of hearing surgery is needed is still with me. We have an appointment on June 3rd with his doctor in Philly for an MRA. What I think I will find hard is making the final decision on what surgeon to choose. I see that many of you have used surgeons I am considering. On my list so far is Dr.Coselli at Baylor, Dr.Cameron at Hopkins, Dr. Svensson at Cleveland Clinic, Dr. Barvaria at UPenn, Dr. Miller at Stanford. My Marfan contacts have used them for their surgeries. We live in upstate NY near Albany and I always figured we would travel for the surgery. I don't even know how you contact these surgeons for their opinions. Do you just have test results sent to them and then call them? Are there waiting lists for surgery? We would like to have it done in July. The thought of a dissection is looming heavily. Any ideas? Thanks, Barb

Hi Barb and welcome. Sorry that your son needs to have surgery, but he is young and that will help him tremendously. As it is, this surgery has very good odds for first time surgery (97-98% survival if you have a good surgeon who does a lot of them which I would say any of the surgeons you are considering would fit into that category). As far as contacting them, I had great luck by just e-mailing each of the ones I was looking at, and all of them answered me within 24 hours. I then had my local cardio send all of my test results to them for their review and then I had phone conversations with them until I finally decided who I was going to go see in person. I ended up at the Mayo clinic. You can also have his current cardio contact each of these surgeons for you and send them his info. They will know how to get in touch with them. If you want to have surgery in July and you haven't even decided who you want to do the surgery, I would get on that. I didn't have too much of a wait, in fact after my first conversation with the Mayo, they wanted to schedule surgery within the next two weeks. But, being that it will be summer time, you may run into scheduling problems with vacations.

Good luck to both of you.

Hi Barb, I can understand how you must be feeling since my 22 (as if last week yeah!) yo son is also the heart patient. We live in South Jersey and Justin has had most of his surgeries at CHOP, but he goes to the Adults with CHD clinic that is a combo CHOP & Uof P. Right now he is in between Adult w/ CHD cards until the new one from Boston starts, but he also has doctors at St chris in Philly and has gone to Boston childrens and we always get a 2nd opinion from them for interventions. Who is his doctor in Philly and what hospital are they at? Usually their office can make all the contacts for surgeons, but for a couple oopins I rather do it myself I find it quicker and lik e getting the info first hand.
Over the years i've gotton many opinions for Justin, IF the doc is at UofP they could probably just contact Bavaria and get the ball rolling (Justin uses Spray because of his complex CHDs,multiple surgeries, but IF he needed just aorta, I would go to Bavaria. As for how, i always find calling gets things moving MUCH faster than emailing, or email then call to follow up instead of back and forth emails. . I call up whoever I want to go to and ask them exactly what they need to give an opinion Before I send anything. Usually they want actually CDs of all the latest echos, MRIs caths ect in addition to any reports. You will have to fill out alot of forms to have the info sent. Some hospitals now have the forms needed online and you can just print them up and send them in, if you don't live close. We've usually stayed on the East coast, since the top CHD centers are usually CHOP and Boston and there are some really great Heart centers in the Norht east, CCF Hopkins, boston, ect, I feel better not being too far from the hospital in case of post op complications after we get home. which Justin has had after a few of his surgeries. IF Justin had Marfans, I would probably make at least one of the 2nd opinions come from Cameron at Hopkins. Usually what we do is get opinions from a few centers/surgeons by records/CDs only then when we narrow it down then we go in person.
As for timing, in our experience the BEST surgeons in the best centers are usually booked pretty far out, but if they feel you cant wait they will get you in and bump someone. I would think if you started calling now and getting the ball rolling, it would be possible to get a July surgery date. But Summers can be tougher, because of vacations as Kim mentioned and alot of people schedual surgery during summer break if they go to school. When Justin is pretty stable but needs surgery, he has had to wait a couple months if we ask for the first opening, BUT he also has had ER surgeries 2 times. Once was the day after a routine cath that showed he needed surgery, they kept him over night and had surgery the next morning, the other time was 10 days after surgery he had an infections in his sternum, we took him in to get checked and he had surgery the next morning so don't worry IF they don't think it is safe for him to wait they will get him in earlier.
Since your son is 24, what are his thughts about what he wants to do where he wants to go? I know it is hard after being the one in charge for so many year and making all the medical decisions when your child has health issues all/most of their lives. The hardest surgery for us was when justin was 17, because since i knew the next surgery he would be an adult and need to know how /what to think about ask, decide, we used that surgery as the one where he had alot of input and made the final choices where to go. it was very hard to step back alittle. He ended up having another surgery when he was 19, and even today he relies alot on my thoughts, but be sure that EVERY center you go to your son fills out the HIPPA forms that you can get all the info, ect.
If you or your son have any qustions just ask
Lyn
Speaking of bumping, don't be shocked if right before surgery, it gets postponed, especially in centers that do heart transplants.

Last edited:
You are in my area. I would like to highly recommend Dr. Harry DePan who is now at Albany Medical Center, and who operated on my husband three times, two valves, and one lung. Joe never had any problems after any of the surgeries, and he is a most caring doctor. My husband just thought he was great and so do I. Dr. DePan was Chief of Cardiothoracic surgery at Ellis Hospital in Schenectady for about 14 years. He recently joined Albany Medical Center where he is doing cardiothoracic surgery and is also an Associate professor of surgery at Albany Medical College.

There is a fine cariologist at Albany Medical Center, Dr. Edward Philbin, who was my husband's cardiologist for many, many years. Joe had multiple and complicated problems, and Dr. Philbin and his staff worked very closely with him, and took excellent care of him.

Dr. DePan
http://www.amc.edu/PR/PressRelease/01_05_10_D.html

Dr. Philbin
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3062147

Lyn and Nancy, Thanks so much for your great info!!
Lyn, You have certainly gone through alot with your son. It is so hard to be the "mom", isn't it? You are so right about giving Colin some decision making in this whole thing. Up till now, I have managed the whole shebang. I think it is only now that the realization of having Marfan has hit Colin. Luckily, he has been spared what alot of others have had to deal with as far as Marfan goes. He has scoliosis, but just a bit under what would be required to need surgery. And, up till now, that was always true of his aorta. It is comforting to know that you go to CHOP too. We see Dr. Reed Pyeritz, who is head of the Clinical Genetics department. He said he will review the MRA with Dr. Bavaria to come to a decision. Up to now, Colin has only had echos done to measure the root size. Dr.P said he would set up a consult for us with Dr. Bavaria. Unfortunately, he sees patients on Tuesdays and Dr. P sees Colin on a Thursday. I am not sure what we will do. Maybe we will schedule it and drive down again. I definitely would like to confer with Dr. Cameron because of his expertise with Marfan. As I said, I know I should let Colin do more, but I have been the one to seek out all the knowledge over the years. I am even wondering how much to tell him about what to expect. He had a small panic attack last week, but last night said he feels good about it all and wants to have the surgery soon. I don't think he ever worried about a dissection before now. I almost want to shield him from the info about the surgery and what to expect after. I am sure you went though this. I almost want to take on all of his worries and have him not think about the down side of it all. I sent an email to Dr. Svensson and will probably do some phone calls this week. I hope your son is doing well at this point in time!
Nancy, My condolences to you on the death of your husband. I admire the fact that you take the time to help out others after having gone though such a loss. I actually started a support group in the Capital District for Marfan. Now I am a telephone support person for the area. I do not know Dr. DePan. I imagine he is in the group with Dr. Britton who I had come to speak to our group. My friend's son had the aortic root replaced by him a year ago and is doing well. He had a mechanical valve put in and my hopes are that my son can have a repair done. His aortic valve does not leak and the mitral valve leaks just a tiny bit. I do have alot of faith in Albany Med and know that would be our ER of choice if necessary. The only reason I want to look out of area is that I would like a surgeon who does more surgeries in Marfan patients, who have weakness in the tissues. It makes the suturing even tougher. I will look up both of your links and so appreciate your help.
Thanks again, Barb

Lyn and Nancy, Thanks so much for your great info!!
Lyn, You have certainly gone through alot with your son. It is so hard to be the "mom", isn't it? You are so right about giving Colin some decision making in this whole thing. Up till now, I have managed the whole shebang. I think it is only now that the realization of having Marfan has hit Colin. Luckily, he has been spared what alot of others have had to deal with as far as Marfan goes. He has scoliosis, but just a bit under what would be required to need surgery. And, up till now, that was always true of his aorta. It is comforting to know that you go to CHOP too. We see Dr. Reed Pyeritz, who is head of the Clinical Genetics department. He said he will review the MRA with Dr. Bavaria to come to a decision. Up to now, Colin has only had echos done to measure the root size. Dr.P said he would set up a consult for us with Dr. Bavaria. Unfortunately, he sees patients on Tuesdays and Dr. P sees Colin on a Thursday. I am not sure what we will do. Maybe we will schedule it and drive down again. I definitely would like to confer with Dr. Cameron because of his expertise with Marfan. As I said, I know I should let Colin do more, but I have been the one to seek out all the knowledge over the years. I am even wondering how much to tell him about what to expect. He had a small panic attack last week, but last night said he feels good about it all and wants to have the surgery soon. I don't think he ever worried about a dissection before now. I almost want to shield him from the info about the surgery and what to expect after. I am sure you went though this. I almost want to take on all of his worries and have him not think about the down side of it all. I sent an email to Dr. Svensson and will probably do some phone calls this week. I hope your son is doing well at this point in time!
Nancy, My condolences to you on the death of your husband. I admire the fact that you take the time to help out others after having gone though such a loss. I actually started a support group in the Capital District for Marfan. Now I am a telephone support person for the area. I do not know Dr. DePan. I imagine he is in the group with Dr. Britton who I had come to speak to our group. My friend's son had the aortic root replaced by him a year ago and is doing well. He had a mechanical valve put in and my hopes are that my son can have a repair done. His aortic valve does not leak and the mitral valve leaks just a tiny bit. I do have alot of faith in Albany Med and know that would be our ER of choice if necessary. The only reason I want to look out of area is that I would like a surgeon who does more surgeries in Marfan patients, who have weakness in the tissues. It makes the suturing even tougher. I will look up both of your links and so appreciate your help.
Thanks again, Barb

Just a couple things to consider, that i am throwing out there, Since he goes to CHOP have you considerred Doctor Spray? One of the reasons I ask, is Justin's last surgery he was 19, Spray operates at both CHOP/UofP and gave justin the choice where he wanted to have his surgery. We all including Spray thought the whole experience would be much better for Justin at CHOP. It is just much more cheery, and all the rooms have video games ect, and over all geared toward teen/young adults, plus Justin thought he would be much more comfortable with the other patients being children/young adults instead of much older patients.
This is just MY OPINION, and of course You know your son better than anyone, but since he is 24, I would be as honest as possible and as much as you want to protect them and have them not worry, I think it was better for Justin at least that we taked about everything before he went to the surgeon and definately before the pre op tests. Since he is an adult , unless there are special circumstances and you are hsi guardian, he will be the one that has to sign all the consent forms, they will as about living wills ask if he is an organ donor ect and go into great detail about what the surgery and recovery will involve. I wanted Justin to know about this as much as i knew, so he wasnt blindsided when he went for all the discussion with the surgeons and more importanlt all the pre op discussions, form signing.
A little background, when Justin was 10, that was the surgery he had the day after his "routine" cath. We talked all about the cath, what he would feel when he woke up ect, well he was groggy from the cath when we told him he was having surgery the next morning, so from his perspective he believed he was going for a cath and should wake up with a sotre leg, but instead woke up on a vent, with tubes everywhere and his sternum cut.
he was SOO angry a couple days because he thought we knew he was having surgery but didn't tell him. He had to hear froseveral nurses and doctors that we really did not know he was having surgery and that he was told after the cath. I felt bad, because I worked hard to be honest, not scare him but be honest about what was going one, what things hurt or didn't, ect and for a while he lost the trust. I know for justin and me, If i kept anything about his surgery from him and he found out the day before surgery, since they HAVE to tell the patient everything that could possible go wrong ect, he would be very upset, he didn't know more before and he would lose some of the trust he has in me for the future.
beside the trust issues, I really believe the more you know and can prepare for, the better. Even if it is just the basics, like there is a good chance you will wake up on a vent, and not to fight it and tell him, this is a good thing to discuss with the surgeon and anesthesia that you really want to be off the vent ASAP, Tell him of course there will be some pain but they work very hard to keep the pain as low as posssible and don't be brave and try to not use your pain meds in the beginning, it is easier to keep pain under controll if you take the pills before the pain is bad. Also let him know he will have to work hard, he probably will be sitting up eating and starting short walks the day after surgery..that kind of thing.

PS as for the surgeons seeing patients on different days, I persoonally would call and explain your situation, about how far you lives ect and you will be there a certain day. OFTEN if possible the surgeons will find a way to meet with you. Even if it is between surgeries ect. We've met with Spray on a day he was in the OR, of course the timing won't be perfect, since you will have to wait for the surgery to be done and sometimes they take longer ect, But we would go eat and they would call us when we could go to his office.

Here is sprays bios, the reason i thought of him, was he is one of the leaders in Ross procedures for children and does alot of aorta work http://www.chop.edu/doctors/spray-thomas-l.html?view=2 I know he operates at both CHOP and HUP, but don't know if Bavaria his on staff at CHOP

Last edited:
I had aortic aneurism repair and an aortic valve repair. I went to Weil Cornell- NY Presbyterian in NYC. I found ny cardiologist in that hospital because I wanted someone with a lot of experience with Aortic Aneurism. My doctor is Dr. Mary Roman and one of her specialties is Marfan's. She recommended Dr Girardi as a surgeon in the same hospital. She said that he was one of the best in the country and if I didn't want to go with him I should go to Hopkins. Dr. Girardi performed my surgery and he and his staff were fantastic. I would highly recommend him.

An additional plus is that NYC is not that far from Albany.
Nick

Lyn, You have given me so much to think about. I will try to talk to Colin little by little about what this surgery will entail. I am glad to get a heads up as far as what kinds of things they will talk to him about before surgery. I think on Monday I will call Dr. Bavaria's office to see if it is possible to meet with him when we go to see Dr. Pyeritz. I see that is says your son had an infection. Has that cleared up? How frightening that must have been. It seems like now you hear so much of the infection problems in hospitals.
Nick, I totally forgot about Dr. Gerardi. I met him quite awhile ago. He came up to speak at an EMT convention once about emergency procedures with Marfan patients. He was really nice. I have heard Dr. Roman speak at a conference also. Many years ago, Colin was in a research study at Weill and we met her then also. Thanks for the names. Gives me more to consider.
You have been such a big help. Did not think I would have any one to talk to about this, so I am so glad to have found this board. When Colin was first diagnosed, I felt so alone also, but the National Marfan Foundation helped me through that tough time. It is so important to talk to those who know what you are going through. Barb:)

So, Jim, you were happy with Dr. Bavaria? From your signature, it looks like you are waiting on surgery? I see you have a bicuspid aortic valve, but may I ask if you have Marfan Syndrome also? Barb

Barb,

Bavaria was recommended to me by a friend who had him for surgery. I went to get his opinion and met with him. It's not time for me yet but I'm glad I've got things lined up. I have several Marfan-like characteristics but I am not Marfan to my knowledge.

Best wishes,

Jim

Lyn, You have given me so much to think about. I will try to talk to Colin little by little about what this surgery will entail. I am glad to get a heads up as far as what kinds of things they will talk to him about before surgery. I think on Monday I will call Dr. Bavaria's office to see if it is possible to meet with him when we go to see Dr. Pyeritz. I see that is says your son had an infection. Has that cleared up? How frightening that must have been. It seems like now you hear so much of the infection problems in hospitals.
Nick, I totally forgot about Dr. Gerardi. I met him quite awhile ago. He came up to speak at an EMT convention once about emergency procedures with Marfan patients. He was really nice. I have heard Dr. Roman speak at a conference also. Many years ago, Colin was in a research study at Weill and we met her then also. Thanks for the names. Gives me more to consider.
You have been such a big help. Did not think I would have any one to talk to about this, so I am so glad to have found this board. When Colin was first diagnosed, I felt so alone also, but the National Marfan Foundation helped me through that tough time. It is so important to talk to those who know what you are going through. Barb:)

I'm glad it helped what I wrote about what all they will discuss with Colin the day or so before surgery, I was hoping I didn't offend you. but they DO go into great detail and have to tell every possible thing that can go wrong. Justin is a I just need to know the basics kind of person,rather not know the little details, but as an example of how much detail they might give is, Justin has had multiple surgeries and his heart is usually fused to his sternum which makes opening his chest a little tricky. Well they explained during the preop testing, to make it as safe as possible instead of using the power saw to cut the whole way thru his sternum they would just use it at the top layers of bone then use sizzors to carefully snip thru the rest of the bone. They thought it was a reassuring thing to know how careful they would be (and I appreciated hearing that), but Justin would have been quite happy not hearing about power saws or sizzors cutting his sternum. Luckily he already knew that so wasn't blindsided, but all in all he would be happier not thinking about it too often.
His Infection, it was scarey, especially when he was still in CICU and I googled mediastinitis and sternal osteomyelitis and almost every artic;le started with how high the mortality rate is. But mainly I just felt really bad for him. First he needed surgery much sooner than anyone expected after his surgery when he was 17 then on top of needing surgery 2 years later (and ruining another summer as he put it) he worked hard to get better asap and 10 days later he was readmitted with the infection, needed a more extensive surgery and had to start recovery all over again..plus he had made plans in jan to go to Cooperstown in Aug and having 2 surgeries in june almost made that not happen. I hate to say things are good and jinx him, but right now as far as we know the infection is gone (knock on wood) BUt his surgery was in june 07 and it came back Nov 09, he came very close to having surgery for it in jan (again at CHOP when he was 21) so since i can pop back up a couple years later, (even tho it is rare) it will be a while, before i will really relax and believe it is gone. He has an MRI coming up at HUP soon (hopefully we are having problems getting it scedualled) to check on a couple things so we'll know then if he is ok.
One other thing i just thought about that you might want to ask the different surgeons about is, I might be wrong, but it seems like you and Colin are very close and he relies on you alot for his medical things and you want to be very involved, hands on ect like ME. Now to me this isn't as important as choosing a surgeon you trust, but it was a consideration when we were deciding where to go for Justin's surgery is, where can you stay. Some places go out of there way and every room not only on the floor, but even sme rooms in CICU have a couch/cot for a family member to sleep in and you can be with your son pretty much 24/7. Other places you can sleep in the patients room once they hit the floor, in CICU you can't stay over night or only can be with the patient certain hours, and you have to leave during rounds, when other people are coming from the OR, doing bad ect. and some places noone can stay in the room and there are "sleeping rooms" that a limitted amount of family members can stay in, -like for example 10 beds for the whole floor and you don't know day to day if you can have one of the spaces.
I personally am with Justin 24/7 when he is in the hospital, (even tho CHOP is about 20 min from home)not only so i know everything that is going on and can ask questions whenever someone comes in to check him, but i like being able to help him, keep him company, walk with him... on the main heart floor CHOp has a couch beside each kids bed for a parent, some rooms have 2 kids and others are private, (usually the older kids/adults get the private room if possible) they also have quite a few rooms in CICU that are private and a family member can stay in 24/7. I know more and more centers are doing things like this, but it might be something you ask about, especialy since you will be traveling and need some where to stay anyway.

Last edited:
BarbJean--I found your thread here. I am just reporting that when I knew it was finally time for me to have my AVR (almost 20 years in the waiting phase, so to speak), I telephoned Dr. Cameron at Hopkins and just made an appointment. Dr. Cameron has some busy periods, as I imagine do most of the doctors you now are considering. You probably will have the best luck getting that surgery done when all of these well respected doctors are not off going to those famous "conferences" like the NMF conference in your case. Wow! So many choices for you and your son!

BarbJean,

So sorry to hear your son will need surgery. I had my surgery at University of PA and Dr. Bavaria was my surgeon. I had a rather complex surgery that was 9 hours in duration. Dr. Bavaria was terrific. I had the aortic valve replaced, the mitral valve repaired, the ascending aorta replaced due to an aneuryism and a hole in the heart fixed (that wasn't detected). I am very happy with the care I have had from Dr. Bavaria. I have had complications since the surgery and see Dr. Bavaria every 6 months. The only hard thing with Bavaria is the wait time to see him. The average wait is 6 hours - sometimes longer. I think he is well worth waiting for. He has seen me through a lot. As far as I'm concerned there is no one better.
Good luck with your son and picking out the surgeon who is right for your son.

Barbara, You certainly have had your share. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with Dr. Bavaria. It is just so hard to make the decision. Wish I could assemble a team of the three we are considering. Wow- a 6 hour wait? We are going to see the geneticist Colin sees in Philly on a Thursday and I was told Dr. Bavaria sees patients on Tuesdays. I will call and try to work something out to save us another drive there. Thanks, Barb

Back