Choosing a Doctor.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Hi all. I really appreciate all the great people here. I am due for my third, 6th month echo now. I have been putting off this visit for lots of reasons. Work, family stuff, etc. The more I try to prepare for this the more new things keep comming up. Anyway, I live near Atlanta Ga. We have three decent choices for surgeons/hospitals. Before I figure out how to do interviews and how insurance works, I thought I would ask If anyone in my area has any experience with the Doctors here.
Right now I have three doctors that have experience with the on-x valve that I feel I will go with. Unless I can get up the nerve to go for the Ross procedure.
1) Emory and Dr Edward Chen who works with Robert Guyton. I have a friend who used Guyton for a heart issue and recomended him to me. They are involved with the on-x study for low blood thinner use.
2) Dr. J Alan Wolfe at NorthEast Georgia Medical Center.
3) Piedmont and Dr James Kauten who was also trained by Robert Guyton.
Right now I am leaning towords Dr. Edward Chen or Dr. Guyton at Emory just because I know people who have seen him.
Thanks, Scott

hav you tried doing a search here for any of those surgeons names? Hopefully your echo will go great and you won't need surgery for a while

Hi Scott,

I'm not going to sound like a commercial and I have no financial incentive in this. Look into St. Joseph's as well when researching. I only had mitral valve repair so my situation is different. I've learned that surgeons tend to specialize in either valves or arteries, ie. CABG's. Even mitral and aortic valves are specialized. You seem to know that however. Atlanta has a lot of very good choices for heart surgery. Don't be afraid to ask how many of these have you done?

We have members who have used all of the Surgeons (and hospitals) you have mentioned and all seem to be highly regarded. As I understand it, Dr. Chen is the 'Go to Guy' in the S.E. for surgery of the aorta (i.e. for aneurysm repair). Do a Search for each name on VR and you will find links to posts about those surgeons.

'AL Capshaw'

I never thought to do that search here. This site is such a great resource. Thanks for the advice. I am going to try and make my echo appt this week. I am just dreading the thought that it is time for surgery.

I have not looked into St. Joseph's. I will see if I can find some info with them. Thanks, Scott

I sent Scott a lengthy message of my experience with one of the surgeons...have tried to compress and post for the benefit of anyone else:

Dr. Guyton did my aneurysm graft and aortic valve replacement within the past year, and I doubt I could have been much more impressed. If you’re not already aware, medicine is his “family business”, so to speak. 9 siblings, all are doctors. His father also wrote one of the preeminent medical textbooks around.

Dr. Guyton’s reputation certainly is top-notch, among patients and hospital staff. He quoted me a mortality risk for my surgery that was, in his words, equal to anywhere in the world. I did not research across the world, mind you, but the number he gave me was in line with Cleveland Clinic, for example.

While he made his case for what was best for me, he did not try to sway me in any way. He does do the On-X as you mention, and is involved with the study. His general medical knowledge was very impressive across the spectrum, from general issues to detailed statistics on various risk scenarios.

But let me back up a bit. I do highly recommend speaking to several surgeons, those you mention are a great start. If you look at St. Joseph’s, I’ve heard good things about Dr. Douglas Murphy. In fact, he’s on the cover of the July issue of Atlanta Magazine – Top Doctors issue that just came out.

St. Joseph’s and Piedmont do have good reputations, but Emory was the highest in town in the US News rankings. You mention how Dr. Guyton trained two of the others. I guess there’s the teacher-pupil dilemma…i.e. at what point is the teacher’s age an issue, and at what point have the pupils gained enough experience themselves to make them just as good a choice. I have no answer for that.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back