Chicken Roasted in a black iron skillet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cday

I tried this the other day and was very pleased with the result. It was much tastier than roasting in on a broiler pan.

1 whole fryer
1 lemon
6 garlic cloves
1 TBL olive oil
kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375. Place fryer breast up in black iron skillet. Cut one garlic clove in half and rub skin with garlic. Pierce lemon with fork several times and place in cavity along with remaining garlic cloves. Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake uncovered for 1 hr 15 min. Remove from oven and turn breast down in skillet - for 10 minutes.

That sounds good enough to try! Only problem is that my favorite cast iron skillet which would be the right size I reserve ONLY for fried eggs. If anyone else touches it with anything else (but butter and eggs) I run around the room chasing them with it!!! :p

Those pans are so cheap.....I might even buy a new one. Been wanting to try cornbread in one and never have since the other one I have is enormous.

Thanks!

Marguerite

Cornbread alone is enough reason to buy another one. Heat the oil called for in the cornbread recipe up in the skillet as the oven is preheating. Then add to cornbread mixture and pour cornbread into the hot skillet----yummy, wonderful bottom crust is formed.

Oooo, good recipe. I love my cast iron skillets.

Margurite - you'll like this story.
I had a 10" skillet that sounds like your egg skillet. When my kids were in grade school, they took turns cleaning the kitchen. One day my son came to me rather proud "Mommy, wait 'til you see the kitchen! I cleaned everything better than I ever have." I go in to find my skillet sitting in the sink, completely scrubbed out - I mean totally scrubbed out. My heart sank. I usually took care of the pot and pans myself before the kids did their chore, but this time I didn't - for whatever reason, thinking they'd leave the pans. It took years to get it to the perfection that is a good cast iron skillet. I gave him a big, enthusiastic hug and raved about what a great job he did, as he grinned from ear to ear. The funny thing is, that skillet remained my favorite skillet for unlikely reasons, regardless of the fact that everything stuck to it after "the cleaning".

Cornbread alone is enough reason to buy another one. Heat the oil called for in the cornbread recipe up in the skillet as the oven is preheating. Then add to cornbread mixture and pour cornbread into the hot skillet----yummy, wonderful bottom crust is formed.

ooooh yummy. I just make up a batch of pinto beans to go with that cornbread (Johnnie Cake) and my husband is in 7th heaven;)

That sounds good enough to try! Only problem is that my favorite cast iron skillet which would be the right size I reserve ONLY for fried eggs. If anyone else touches it with anything else (but butter and eggs) I run around the room chasing them with it!!! :p

Those pans are so cheap.....I might even buy a new one. Been wanting to try cornbread in one and never have since the other one I have is enormous.

Thanks!

Marguerite

My wife won't let me have a cast iron skillet:(. My dad had a little 8 inch skillet for eggs only. He beat my butt for cooking a hamburger in it when I was a kid.:eek:

Latest posts

Back