Chest tube hole not closing up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale - have you been taking probiotic supplements? They should not affect your INR, and, especially if you've been on antibiotics, they should help boost your body's immune system to fight the MRSA infection.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

Reactions: Amy
Wow! Glad they caught the infection. Watch your INR while on Bactrim - it generally goes up about 70%.

The infection seems to be clearing up now that I am taking bactrim. There is no yellow pus draining from my chest tube hole anymore. My doctor and I have decided to reduce my coumadin dose to help with the increase caused by the antibiotics. That tactic seems to be working because my INR yesterday was 2.6. I hope that the infection is totally gone by the time I finish the antibiotics and I can get back to healing.

My chest tube hole was found to be infected with MRSA. They prescribed Bactrim DS for me. I hope that I can get rid of it before it becomes a problem since I do not have a fever or any other signs of infection. I hope the bactrim DS gets rid of the infection too.

As the kids say .....OMG.......please please please make darn sure it is cleared before suspending any antibiotics as a matter of fact ask why not some administered by IV. SEVERAL of our stateside mambers of the Sternectomy Support site have fallen victim to MRSAs and it is not fun living without a sternum. Whenever I call one of the members I try to gage the measure of depression and so remind them that they are not alone and that I am now a five year survivor....so again demand clear (100%) bloodwork before turning your back on this chapter.

Hey Greg,

Would you mind telling me some of the signs and symptoms that you had as your infection progressed? I have had no fever or aches. I don't have any shortness of breath. I didn't have any symptoms at all other than the drainage from my chest tube hole. The drainage has stopped. I will make sure to get tested to make sure I am clear of infection.

HiMyNameIsDale, I tried to reply to your PM or even email you via here and it says you disabled those features. I saw your PM and wrote you a response.

Latest posts

Back