Chest pain concerns

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

I am 39, have bicuspid aortic valve, aortic regurg 2+ to 3+ and a dilated ascending aorta. At work last Tuesday afternoon, I received very stressful news and suddenly developed strong chest pain, enough to mention it and have the other two people I was having a meeting with notice. They wanted to take me to the emergency room as it lasted 3 minutes or so. It felt as if someone was squeezing my heart -- not excrutiating pain but not mild either. It did not irradiate to my arm or anywhere. It then went away so I did not go to the hospital and have had much smaller and milder pain a few times since. Today, I feel no such pain.

I have a cardiologist appointment for this on Monday but am a bit concerned about this - I had never experienced this level of chest pain, only slight before. I am taking 10mg of Altace per day and 6.25 Carvediolool (I think this is Coreg in the US).

Anyone ever experience this? Anyone have any advise (for instance, what should local cardiologist be testing for? what did your cardiologist do or what tests did they do for this?

My thanks in advance for any input or shared experience.

Best regards,

Rick

I have had several instances but were from softball. After some intense running I get a sharp pain slightly to the left of center(my perspective) not followed by any other symptoms like numbness, left side pain, dizziness.

It goes away after 10-20 seconds. There is a constant pressure that could be explained as a 1 to 10 scale pain of <1. This number has risen over the years and finally diagnosed as a inlarged aorta a year and a half ago.

My aorta measures 5.2cm. and is considered just under the accepted 5.5cm. for replacement. My cardio office recently suggested to refer to Cleveland Clinic or Stanford to see if there are other issues and to maybe move forward sooner than later.

Mine has been agrevated by stress before but more so by activity and can relate to your concern and anxiety.

Rick I don't want to alarm you, but what you describe could well be the beginning of a dissection of the aorta. I would recommend you get thee to the hospital and have it looked into. I had a similar experience in November of 94. In March of 95, my aorta ruptured. I'm simply saying this may be a big warning of things to come.

After my surgery which was pure AVR for aortic stenosis, no root or arch troubles at all, I experienced this squeezing sensation. What had happened was that I had asked my cardio if I could go off of my beta blockers. She said fine, just quit. Well, then in the middle of nowhere, 2 days later I got very a real "rush" feeling and then this squeezing of the heart and then wiped out feeling. So I went and sat down (praying) and went right home and took my beta blocker!! I then proceeded to wean myself off the beta blocker quite slowly and never had another problem like that.

So I wonder if it is some kind of "electrical system" type problem. A new arythmmia of some kind. Definitely worth a thorough investigation by the cardio.

But as Ross says, it could be more. Don't hesitate to get to the safety of a hospital if you feel anything like it again.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.

Marguerite

Rick I don't want to alarm you, but what you describe could well be the beginning of a dissection of the aorta. I would recommend you get thee to the hospital and have it looked into. I had a similar experience in November of 94. In March of 95, my aorta ruptured. I'm simply saying this may be a big warning of things to come.

What he said .... don't assume all os ok ... it could cost you your life.....

Rick

I did not have any issues other than a bogus Aortic valve due to stenosis. But I have read enough on this forum to know that if your at 5.2 that you probably need to address your issues sooner rather than later. I don't know if that measurement is relative to a persons body size but I was under the impression that a measurement of 5.0 was considered the number that puts you into the "go" zone for surgery. There are lots of others on this site that will be along to share with you their experience and expertise.

Best of luck...

Rick

I don't know if that measurement is relative to a persons body size but I was under the impression that a measurement of 5.0 was considered the number that puts you into the "go" zone for surgery.

It might be even lower in the presence of CTD, e.g. Marfans (and BAV disease?) where I have read one source that specifies 4.5 as the trip wire for surgical intervention.

Best wishes,

Jim

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you all for your comments. I had my appointment with MD postponed to Wednesday morning due to an emergency he had. My aorta is closer to 4 so I am less concerned with dissection right now. Nonetheless, I have read some pains are associated with the expansion of the aorta -- at the BAV Foundation web page. I have also read about angina pectoris.

I have been chest pain free now for a few days and feeling well -- even took up my routine of going for walks last night.

Having said this, I will make sure this gets checked out on Wednesday.

My best wishes to you all,

Rick

Latest posts

Back