Chest Pain Almost 10 Weeks Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

I had surgery almost 10 weeks ago (10 weeks Friday). Last night I pulled out the recycling and the trash (not lifting anything). I didn't think this was too much, but in the middle of the night my chest felt very sore. As one gets back into things is it typical to feel soreness like real bad muscle pulls and such? I notice it especially when I breathe in deeply, like I tweaked my chest wall muscles. Any advice would be welcome. I dosed up on Ibuprofen and hope that helps.

It's ME again!

I was careful at 10 weeks and did not have problems then. A friend of mine, who has been a cardiac surgery nurse in the past, told me not to stretch or otherwise cause stress to the chest muscles. I mean, stress beyond what heavy lifting entails. Hopkins people never told me that!

I had been stretching a lot recently (10 months out) and I have pulled out a wire, I fear. I am back to supporting my sternum with my hand when I roll over in bed or otherwise move from reclining to sitting. I am NOT stretching or overreaching anymore. I am unemployed at this moment so I am reluctant to reconsider surgery for a loose wire if I do not need to.

My advice is be careful. It takes a long, long time for that sternum area to heal, it seems!

I'm six days out and noticing more back pain than anything. I think my surgeon did a remarkable job closing up. I haven't noticed any movement at all, which is a big plus. The difficult thing with that is to not get overconfident.

It's ME again!

I was careful at 10 weeks and did not have problems then. A friend of mine, who has been a cardiac surgery nurse in the past, told me not to stretch or otherwise cause stress to the chest muscles. I mean, stress beyond what heavy lifting entails. Hopkins people never told me that!

I had been stretching a lot recently (10 months out) and I have pulled out a wire, I fear. I am back to supporting my sternum with my hand when I roll over in bed or otherwise move from reclining to sitting. I am NOT stretching or overreaching anymore. I am unemployed at this moment so I am reluctant to reconsider surgery for a loose wire if I do not need to.

My advice is be careful. It takes a long, long time for that sternum area to heal, it seems!

Thanks Maryka!

Hi CBD! Yes, I had issues at 10wks out with deep breathing. Feels like it is difficult to take a deep breath in. If the recycling and trash wasnt heavy, I doubt that was what caused the problem. Probably just random pain post surgery. Just be careful.

Hey CBD,

I get those pains sometimes as well. A lot of times, I feel it around my scar. Other times, it feels deeper. I think a lot of mine is sleeping related, as I tend to sleep on my stomach a lot. I feel the ache more in the morning and it tends to get better as the day goes on. Also, I have been out on the soccer field a lot more lately, and I can really feel it in my chest when I run. It usually goes away after awhile, just a dull ache. Nothing sharp.

it might not be how much you lifted, but how you lifted it.
a couple pounds is no big deal, until you lift and pull and twist
at the same time.

also might be weather-related. my scar area feels tight
every time it rains.

I was uncomfortable for quite awhile. I am talking months. I WAS a smoker and was afraid that when my chest did not hurt to much I would start again. At about 4 months I thought, my chest felt good and I could smoke. I did not but that is how I remember how long it was that I had pain and then pretty good discomfort. Remember, everyone is different.

Latest posts

Back