Chest fluid after exercise.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckrzy1

Well for the last couple of months , sometime after 45-60 minutes of 125-130bpm I get the need to cough some, seems like fluid and it clears in few minuted after I cool down. No SOB or other pains or issues, just this.

But being a ross guy this gives me concern about my PV.

I would like your input and may call Cardio Monday.

Is there any possibility that it is GERD? Gastric esophageal reflux disease? Do you clear your throat a lot after you eat greasy foods? Have you had any indigestion at all?

Just a thought. Definitely run it past the cardio, though.

Best wishes

Marguerite

I have GERD and after I eat I always cough. After I exercise (before my surgery) I cough quite a bit too so maybe you should have that checked to see if you have GERD.

I already take nexium and this is not a burning feeling at all, just a short period of something in my chest feeling.

Exercise Cough

Exercise Cough

Probably the best course if you're concerned is to visit with your cardio doc. I often cough after engaging in rigorous exercise. I've always figured the cough was simply related to exercising my lungs...sucking in more air than regular breathing and at a faster and deeper rate.

-Philip

I have GERD and after I eat I always cough. After I exercise (before my surgery) I cough quite a bit too so maybe you should have that checked to see if you have GERD.

How is your GERD being treated? (Nexium, Prilosec, other?
How many times a day do you take medication for your GERD?

Do you feel burning (i.e. Reflux) after exercising?

What is it about your GERD that causes the Cough?

(FYI, I'm just looking for a better understanding of GERD and it's effects)

'AL Capshaw'

OK, everything sounded good, EKG good, going in on the 27th for a stress echo.

At first they said echo but I said this problem only appears with exercise so maybe a stress echo is in order and they said, yeah that sounds better.

Why is it we patients sometimes know better ? Frustrating.

How is your GERD being treated? (Nexium, Prilosec, other?
How many times a day do you take medication for your GERD?

Do you feel burning (i.e. Reflux) after exercising?

What is it about your GERD that causes the Cough?

(FYI, I'm just looking for a better understanding of GERD and it's effects)

'AL Capshaw'

I now take Zegerid (2 x a day), and I have taken just about every medication out there for this. I have had GERD and a hiatal hernia for over 8 years. I do not feel burning at all as long as I take my Zegerid, but I always cough after I eat, but not as bad after my AVR surgery.
What the doctors have said is after I eat the acid comes up and some acid can irritate my lungs, and I do have scaring in my lungs, more then likely due to GERD. The medication helps keep the acid down but evidently not enough to stop my coughing. After exercising I will also start coughing, again due to the acid coming up.
Matter of fact I was going to have surgery to fix my hiatal hernia before I found out about my bad aortic valve.

OK, Cardio gave me a clean bill of health. Stress echo went "very good" , they had me going for 16 minutes and heart rate was 168 , wow my heart was pounding.

Cardio suspects exercise induced asthma so I'm off to see my regular doctor on wednesday.

adam
that would be my guess, I have asthma, and sometimes I have issues when I am exercising, coughing is a big symptom, so is chest tightness, if this is the issue, its an easy "fix" asthma cant be cured, but usually a couple puffs of albuterol (xopenex in my case) will solve this issue, sometimes when I am concerned about it I just preempt it and take a couple puffs before I start exercising, this usually stops it dead in its tracks

Well test seems to have showed exercise induced asthma. I had hardly any reaction to the first rounds of increasing dosage ( something to induce asthma ) but by the last 2 I started to feel the build up in my chest and the last dose made my heart jump 20bpm and I felt the tightness which cleared after getting the abuterol.

SO I see my primary on the 23rd for the bad/good news and get a script.

Man getting healthy is taking it's toll on me, knee surgery and now this:rolleyes:

Do you know what they intend to give you? After my last surgery to remove my teeth, the pulmonologist said he wanted to try me on Advair. Said it would in no way cure me, but should improve my breathing more so then it was at the time. I have to say, I can walk farther now then before, without getting huffy puffy. There is definate difference.

Hi Adam,

I just started running and exercising again myself, and I had a similar experience where my chest got really tight, hard to breath and then I coughed out a ton of phlem for a week. (I'm also an ex smoker) As time has progressed though, the coughing has went away.

I remember reading an article somewhere that if phlem comes up, then it's not asthma while with asthma, you get a dry cough.

Has anyone read differently?

Jeff

Well I am temporarily on singlair which does seem to work but primary wants to find out if it's an allergy causing so I'm off to an allergist/pulmonologist Friday.

Nothing wrong with that. Singulair works about the same. It really does sound like excercise induced asthma. Probably want to do Pulmonary function tests, which if your not in that excercised state, won't reveal anything. May have to suggest they let you run a tread mill for a bit, then do it.

adam,
its good that you got on singulair, if that works to control things thats awesome, but if you need to dont be afraid to ask for something like advair or symbicort. singulair is an awesome drug, but its not all it was originally made out to be, although it does seem to be particularly good for exercise induced asthma, you may need more than just singulair, also, as a fellow asthmatic and a respiratory therapist, my biggest advice is never forget your rescue inhaler, especially while you are exercising, carry it with you at all times, and try to keep a back up stashed somewheres so you have something to fall back on.

as an example I will tell you my story:
when I was first diagnosed with asthma, it was right after a bad bout of bronchitis, I was started on singulair and albuterol as needed, this worked for me for a long time when I began having tachycardia issues when I was taking albuterol for my 3rd bout of bronchitis in less than 2 years I switched to xopenex, I have tried to go off the singulair several times without success, was having more issues during fall allergy season, so I added pulmicort, which is an inhaled steroid, did really well on the pulmicort, even tried to go off from it a couple times per my doc, didnt work, and recently started having issues with allergy season, my sinuses draining into my throat is setting me off, as well as all the farming stuff and burning and pollen going on right now is setting me off. my main symptoms are coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath, if I am wheezing its pretty bad, and I'm coughing up stuff, right now I am on symbicort 160/4.5 2 puffs twice a day singulair, and xopenex as needed and it seems to be working well, I love the symbicort, and xopenex works really well for me

jeff, asthmatics can definitely have a productive cough, less so than someone who has chronic bronchitis, but when the airways constrict and swell they produce lots of thick sticky mucus too, part of the reaction that is an asthma attack

the thing about asthma is that your lung function can be normal most of the time, and alot of asthmatics dont even wheeze, so alot of times asthma is just diagnosed by history, physical and if albuterol makes you feel better thats a good indication that you have asthma, they can do a quick test in the office where they test your lungs before and after bronchodilator like albuterol and thats often all they need

hope this helps

OK, asthma/pulmonary doctor says I have reg old asthma that just gets noticeable to me when exercising etc. The breathing thing had me at a 87% this am and it went to 92% with a blast of inhaler. He has had me stop singulair and put me on a steroid inhaler for the am and another for a "rescue inhaler " to use as needed. He wants my asthma under control before doing an allergy test.

So something else is wrong with me, oh well. I guess since I would not have lived to see this day had it not been for my AVR all my other parts my have hit their expiration date.

And atleast he agrees that exercise is GOOD for me.

Adam, sorry i missed your original post. I had a 'true' bicuspid and Ross also but in '97. AVR and aneurysm repair August '09. I too ended up with exercise induced asthma, and my husband can sometimes hear me wheeze.You sure have been to your share of docs this past month. Just fyi, I am a Ross'r who ended up with an aneurysym 7.0 cc aortic ascending, and the surgeon told me this was because of the Ross and they put the pulm valve in position where the aortic used to be and that the pulm valve cannot withstand as much pressure, causing the aneurysm. Having said that, I'm sure they do the Ross much differently now.

I know many of my parts are way past expiration date and they still seem to function even if only limitedly. Me thinks you'll be around a long time yet. :)

Latest posts

Back