Checking in

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkU

Coming out of 'lurk' mode for an update:

Just had my eight-year post-op annual visit with my cardiologist. All is well with my valve and BP is good (126/74).

Doc strongly encouraged me to continue my triathlon training, and even suggested that I add some more weight training back into my regimen. Good things to hear, especially at age 56.

I still tend to fight my weight and doc says I always probably will based on my build. I lost about 15 pounds prior to my half marathon back in February (see my avatar), but have gained a lot of it back due to an undisciplined diet. Need to do better.

Because of work and family issues I wasn't able to do any tri's last year, but as mentioned, did manage to do my first half marathon in February. Used the Galloway run/walk method to finish in 2hr 53min ( 3hr was my goal).

I'm preparing for my official triathlon 'comeback' in October at the Siesta Key sprint tri; if Lance can make a comeback, then why can't I? ;). I may even do the Venice race over Labor Day as a 'warm-up' event.

I am and always will be an endorphin junkie. I love to train, even though I'm slow as a turtle. Occasional races are okay, but I think I do races more to measure my fitness and for social reasons than for competitive reasons.

I sometimes feel bad about not posting more here, but after eight years feel a bit irrelevant. Not sure that I have anything more worthwhile to contribute.

If any one is interested, I log my workouts and keep a blog page at www.beginnertriathlete.com where I'm known as 'Redcorvette'.

Best to all,
Mark

Congratulations Mark !
I'd say you have masses to contribute to this site, you're testimony to a full and healthy life after valve surgery.
That's a great Bp too, all very encouraging news.

Far from irrelevant, long timers look you and I can show newbies that life after AVR can be great. It's what they need to hear most because at the start they are filled with dread and anxiety. Remember?. I sure do. So they come here and see guys with 8 or 18 years on a plastic valve doing feats of magic and maybe gain a little confidence.

was just wondrin about you yesterday. glad that you have come in to let us hear from you. you have done so well through these years. keep it up. Blessins.........

Glad to read your post, Mark. Maybe your example will nudge me enough to get back in the pool after a post-vacation break.;)

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I have gotten to the point where I have days when I literally don't think about my valve, which I think is a good thing. I feel very blessed that I have had a good recovery from my AVR and have been able to resume an active lifestyle.

I also have been fortunate to have had a PCP, surgeon and cardiologist who have all been supportive. (My PCP is also a triathlete and we have done some triathlons together - the last time I pulled out a lead on the bike and then he caught and passed me on the run).

The only real limitation that my cardiologist has suggested is that I do the bulk of my endurance training at around 85% of my lactic threshhold heart rate (LTHR) and avoid any sustained exercise above my LTHR. I don't venture out to ride or run without my heart rate monitor and I regularly check my pulse between sets when I'm training at the pool.

To tell the truth, the thing that has probably bugged me the most over the years is all the myths and misinformation about Coumadin. I got into a discussion with someone last week who was telling me that people on Coumadin can 'spontaneously' bleed to death and that I must have a death wish for riding my bike on public roads. He didn't believe me when I told him I had crashed my bike at over 20 mph and didn't bleed to death from my road rash...

Thanks again. I promise to check in more often.

Mark

To tell the truth, the thing that has probably bugged me the most over the years is all the myths and misinformation about Coumadin. I got into a discussion with someone last week who was telling me that people on Coumadin can 'spontaneously' bleed to death and that I must have a death wish for riding my bike on public roads. He didn't believe me when I told him I had crashed my bike at over 20 mph and didn't bleed to death from my road rash...

See, definitely not irrelevant! Just the kind of story for those who are new to coumadin and have had their heads filled with all the myths..

Congrats on doing so great! Great to hear stories like yours. I love Sarasota, was a student at Ringling School of Art for a while and vacationed there as a child. Best beaches around!

Looking forward to more posts about your triathlon success. And as others have pointed out, there's nothing more relevant than your experience. It's a success story we can't get elsewhere. We depend upon those like SumoRunner and yourself for some idea where we're headed.

MarkU said:
I have gotten to the point where I have days when I literally don't think about my valve, which I think is a good thing. I feel very blessed that I have had a good recovery from my AVR and have been able to resume an active lifestyle.
Amen! Still hoping to join you someday for a Florida event.

Amen! Still hoping to join you someday for a Florida event.

Yep. We'll do it one of these days. :)

I'm doing the Venice sprint triathlon on Labor Day weekend and then the Siesta Key sprint triathlon on October 4th.

I hadn't orginally plannned to do the Venice race, but since it has a short swim (1/4 mile) I thought it might be a good warm up for the Siesta race with its longer 1/2 mile swim.

I'm planning to do the Sarasota half-marathon again in March and then the St. Anthony's Olympic distance tri in St Pete at the end of April. I have a deferred entry for St. Anthony's from last year. Actually glad I wasn't able to race because they ended up cancelling the swim leg due to rough water conditions.

Longer-term, I've always wanted to do the Indy Mini marathon which actually does a lap around the Indy Speedway.

Mark

Last edited:
Far from irrelevant, long timers look you and I can show newbies that life after AVR can be great. It's what they need to hear most because at the start they are filled with dread and anxiety. Remember?. I sure do. So they come here and see guys with 8 or 18 years on a plastic valve doing feats of magic and maybe gain a little confidence.

SumoRunner hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what those of us in the waiting room want/need to hear. It once again proves that there is life after OHS and it can be a quality one too.

Glad things to are going so well for you. Great news...:)

EXACTLY!! I remember the dread, and anxiety, not very long ago too.. I'm just starting the walking, and running. We fall where we fall, but I know I do it for myself, and my achievements are monumental for myself, and are personal goals that I set and make, to bring myself up, and keep myself up. No point now in being sad, we have what we have, best to just deal with it.

It inspires me to see others here doing something for themselves, no matter how small.

EXACTLY!! I remember the dread, and anxiety, not very long ago too.. I'm just starting the walking, and running. We fall where we fall, but I know I do it for myself, and my achievements are monumental for myself, and are personal goals that I set and make, to bring myself up, and keep myself up. No point now in being sad, we have what we have, best to just deal with it.

It inspires me to see others here doing something for themselves, no matter how small.

When I first got home from the hospital I was determined to walk a little further every day. The first day was to the end of the driveway and back, the next to the neighbor's driveway and so on. I remember what an accomplishment it seemed to be when I could make it 1/2 mile all the way around our block.

It was definitely two steps forward and one step back in those days - If I overdid it one day then I would feel like crud for the next day or so. Week-to-week I could see my progress, but sometimes it was hard on a day-to-day basis.

During the first year of my recovery I had no real aspirations of returning to any strenuous athletic activity. Prior to my AVR, I had been an avid weightlifter, hitting the gym at 5AM most mornings. Post-op my cardiologist had me to stop the heavy lifting and suggested I substitute more aerobic exercise. After a year or so of treadmills and stationary bikes at the gym, I started jogging around the block, up to 2 miles at a time.

At that time one of my colleagues at work was training for an Ironman triathlon and was president of the local triathlon club. I had whimsically talked to him about one day doing a sprint triathlon. One day my colleague threw an entry form on my desk for a beginner's triathlon to be held at the local YMCA. He basically said "put up or shut up".
I made a call to my PCP (who also happened to be a triathlete) who said it was okay to do it - just not to push myself too hard or stop if I started to feel ill.

So with less than a month's formal training, I entered my first triathlon: a 400 yd pool swim, 12-1/2 bike ride and a 5K run. I struggled but made it to the finish. I wasn't last, but close to it.
That was in February 2004. I was hooked on triathlons, not so much for the actual competition, but for the cross-training aspects of the three disciplines. Even though I'm slow as a turtle in each, I love to swim, ride and run. Doing each one only once or twice a week lets my old bones recover better and keeps things fresh psychologically.

As I get older, I know there will eventually be a time when I will no longer be able to do this stuff, which makes me even more appreciative and thankful that I still can.

Mark

Latest posts

Back