Checked out today with Low INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2.0 INR today. Took us 4 finger pricks and 4 wasted attempts to try it. The machine did not want to cooperate for some reason.
Either way, I am on 6mg for 5 days and we have a 2.0 which is the bare MIN of my range but we are there now ;)
They said keep the course till monday and we measure again. My last day of antibiotics is Tue or Wed, whenever I run out of pills, so we will see what happens then. For now, I am hoping that 6mg will keep me at 2.0 or better through Monday as well.

Your doing fine, it gets better over time. I bought a Coag XS machine a year after surgery and I worry very little about being out of range unless I miss a dose which has not happened yet. I test once or twice a month now and go to the lab very couple months to compare results. We fear the worst but learn over time to relax but still be deligent with our warfarin dependency. Hope you continue improving every day and get lots of rest.

2.2 INR today, still on 6mg of coumadin per day. This is great!!!!
Ok, so I am adding my multivitamin (has 80mcg of Vit. k) back into my diet today and we will hopefully test on Friday to see if any changes are made. Also, I off of antibiotics so I hope that it does not change my INR too much.

From what you guys and gals wrote antibiotics raise INR, so I might see a lower INR on friday due to that.

2.3 INR today, still on 6mg daily.

This past week, I have been taking all my supps and multivitamins (multivitamins have 80mcg of K, and I take 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM for a total of 160mcg of Vit. K just from that). My vitamins are now just like before surgery. I generally do 3 protein shakes per day, but this week just 1 in the morning. Next week will go to 2 a day and then we will see.

One question I have is that it takes my nurse about 30-35 seconds to get my blood collected from the moment she pricks my finger to the the moment we get blood on the test strip. Generally, first drop around 5-10 seconds after the prick, misses the machine (this happened last time too), then she take about 20 more seconds to clean the finger get another big drop (still same finger and same hole) and then she makes the drop just right on the strip (so total time from prick to collection is 30-35 seconds).

Could this lead to a slightly lower INR measurement or since she gets brand new blood, even though it is the same site, it does not matter?

Sounds like you have a good ballpark number that is fairly stable. I would only caution than when you resume more strenuous exercise (higher metabolism), don't be surprised if your INR goes down and you require a higher dose. Are you thinking of getting a machine and self monitoring? I think your diligence in terms of everything else makes you a great candidate.

Hey sarah, I am waiting for the machine with anticipation. Roche got all my documents and it's in the insurance stage which they said could take up to 3 month.

Hey sarah, I am waiting for the machine with anticipation. Roche got all my documents and it's in the insurance stage which they said could take up to 3 month.

It's nice that the ball is rolling in regards to getting your monitor, but too bad the insurance system is screwy; otherwise, Roche sends
out monitors within a week.

Bina - I agree. On the other hand, three months is a drop in the bucket compared to a lifetime of clinic visits! I can't even imagine the time it would take to organize, go and come, especially with a family! Hope it comes sooner rather than later!

I'd say this is the culprit.

I'm inclined to agree. I was surprised that the INR nurse at my cardiology office seemed unaware of the effects of amiodarone on INR. When you stop the amiodorone, I think it makes sense to watch the effect on INR and make sure your providers are aware of this effect.

Best,
pem

2.2 INR today, still on 6mg daily. Yeay!

Best news of this all, is that today everything went just right.

1. I washed my hands with soap, no alcohol wipes
  2. mostly air-dry
  3. INRatio machine was ready to go
  4. Quick prick of a finger and blood went straight on the strip
  5. 2 minutes later - INR 2.2, ProTime 21.6

Clinic said we can test in a month. Since, I have 2 more nurse appointments I am doing this next week and a week after.

Latest posts

Back