Celtics' Jeff Green to have heart surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawberry

Yeah, been following this during as it developed during the week. Hats off to the medical team for catching it so they can do something about it, and hopefully this makes heart health a more discussed topics for athletes. Looking forward to Jeff coming back strong and healthy.

Pretty insightful quote from his former coach at Georgetown:

''He's, I guess, as upbeat as anyone can be,'' Thompson said. ''I don't want to speak for Jeff, but it's been a trying week. I've seen the progression from terrified to confident, and that comes with education. That comes with truly understanding what he's going through, and what he has to go through, and the confidence in his support system and the confidence in the doctors that he's going to be working with. And with each day, that has grown.''

Pretty insightful quote from his former coach at Georgetown:

''He's, I guess, as upbeat as anyone can be,'' Thompson said. ''I don't want to speak for Jeff, but it's been a trying week. I've seen the progression from terrified to confident, and that comes with education. That comes with truly understanding what he's going through, and what he has to go through, and the confidence in his support system and the confidence in the doctors that he's going to be working with. And with each day, that has grown.''

Agreed. Very insightful.

I still find it a bit sad that it takes a celebrity or sports athlete to bring this sort of surgery and knowledge to the forefront. *shrugs*

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
* Radio.HolidayCDshowcase | 12.24.2011 | Noon-4p.CENTRAL | www.wrmn1410.com *
"You can say there's no such thing as Santa" __ Elmo'N'Patsy __ 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'

I thought this thread deserved an update:

For any college basketball fans out there, you may remember that 5 years ago this weekend Jeff Green was hitting a last second shot to lead Georgetown to the Elite Eight, then followed that up with a pretty heroic effort in rallying them to a comeback upset victory over #1 seed North Carolina to make their first Final Four since the Patrick Ewing years. I'm not a Georgetown fan at all, but I'm a March Madness fan, and I remember very well what Jeff Green and Georgetown did that year.

Anyway, I was curious about his progress, and just found a pretty neat story of how well he is doing and the inspiration he brings his Boston Celtics teammates: http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/3/5/2845862/jeff-green-is-an-inspiration-to-the-jceltics

Here's a quote that was included from the Celtics coach about his two week post-surgery visit to the team:

"It was awesome, it was great," said Rivers. "We kidded around a lot. We brought him in in the morning, at the [team] breakfast [before shootaround], and it’s really cool. I’m amazed, obviously, that two weeks ago [he had surgery] and he’s walking around and he looks normal. "Obviously, because some of us are sarcastic, we made a mention that he’s walking around and, '[the Celtics injured guys] can’t play. How tough are you?' And the guys got a big kick out of that. It's good to see him. He’s a good kid, really good kid. The best news of the day is that he’ll be able to play again. At least right now that’s what they’re saying. And that’s unbelievable."​

I sure hope the good news continues and continued best wishes to Jeff Green on returning to the NBA and showing what's possible after heart surgery.

He is One of TWO Celtics to require Heart Surgery in the last year.

Coach was quoted as saying something along the lines of they were shocked to hear one player needed OHS but to learn two needed it was shocking beyond words.
Chris Wilcox is the other player with an aortic problem and his surgery is scheduled for this week.

They will both play again, hopefully.

He is One of TWO Celtics to require Heart Surgery in the last year.

Unreal. Just did a quick read on Chris Wilcox and see his aorta problem has been overseen for quite some time. Thankfully, these are stories of monitoring and planned intervention, it seems like it always used to be that basketball players and heart problems were predominantly worst case news stories (like Reggie Lewis).

I have been following him on twitter and even exchanged a couple tweets about our surgeries. I told him that I will now have to root for him even though his shot to get to the Elight 8 was against my Vanderbilt team - and he also travelled on the play:) Jeff is using his year off from the Celtics to finish his degree at Georgetown which is great...

I have been following him on twitter and even exchanged a couple tweets about our surgeries. I told him that I will now have to root for him even though his shot to get to the Elight 8 was against my Vanderbilt team - and he also travelled on the play:) Jeff is using his year off from the Celtics to finish his degree at Georgetown which is great...

Wow, that's pretty cool and great way for him to take advantage of the time off. So have you invited him to join us here?

Latest posts

Back