Cause of aortic valve insuffiency and sclerosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasha946

Hi all, I am new here. Was just diagnosed with "mild to moderate" aortic insuffenciency and sclerosis. I have not yet met with the cardiologist or my GP. After researching the numbers, they all appear to be in the mild range to me, but anyway I am just beginning to learn. I am wondering today about why this has happened to me. I do not recognise any of the causes that I have seen on the internet as applying to me. Are there reasons other than the typical or are there unknown causes?? Does it just sometimes happen without a given reason or should I be investigating other health issues that I might not know I have??
Thank you so much for any thoughts you might have on this subject!
Tasha

With "mild to moderate" numbers, I'm guessing that your Doctors will just recommend "Watching and Waiting" with regularly scheduled EchoCardiograms every couple of years until they see more progression.

I'm wondering how / why you were diagnosed. I would guess an Echocardiogram but that begs the question of WHY. I *assume* that you obtained a copy of your Test Results. GOOD for you...That is exactly what an informed patient should do.

FYI, Medical Modifiers progress as follows

NO / None
Trace
Mild
Moderate
Severe
Critical

'AL Capshaw'

Yes, watch and wait. My doctor ordered the echo because I have been breathless going up stairs and unusually tired. Also I had a strange "episode" where the only way I can describe it is it was like an adrenalin rush up through my chest partway down my arms that lasted a minute or two. (for no apparent reason) I was also somewhat dazed. I ended up in the ER but nothing was found. Don't know what that was??

I am trying to figure out why my valve is damaged. I cannot find anywhere where I fit in under *causes?*

Thanks for your help- - - -

A very common birth defect can be a bi-cuspid aortic valve - (2 leaflets instead of 3) and you often don't realize it until the stenosis progresses. My gynecologist is actually the one that found my murmur over 12 years ago and at that time it was mild to moderate - although the cardiologist told me then that one day I would have to have it replaced. I have been watch and wait since then and just led my life as normal (once the shock wore off). I made my checkups as suggested - first every 2 years then eventually once a year and then 6 months and three. Now I will finally get the surgery behind me and move on again! Certainly do your research, but don't fret too much. Especially until you hear what the cardiologist has to say. Especially if you don't have any symptoms. Welcome to the forum!

Another factoid about bicuspid aortic valves -- I'm not sure of the exact number, but only a small percentage of patients having bicuspid aortic valves actually ever need surgical repair/replacement. Some (a fairly large percentage) never have any symptoms, so they never know they have the condition.

Welcome to The Waiting Room -- the virtual room where many of us await our own turns at valve surgery. I found out about my "probable" bisucpid valve and stenosis about 8+ years ago when a doctor was doing a physical for an unrelated reason and asked me "How long have you had the murmur?"

Welcome Tasha. Those are all very good questions to ask your cardiologist and surgeon. Most of us seem to know our causes by the time we post, so it will be interesting to see what you find out. As another former librarian, I know it's hard not to want to research, but don't drive yourself crazy on the internet when even your doctors won't be able to tell you without imaging and maybe even what they might find if you need surgery.

Do you mind saying what part of Virginia you're in?

Back