Carpel Tunnel Syndrome surgery soon?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetmarie

I've been on coumadin for 11 weeks now for an AVR. I will be having my two wrists done within the next couple of months for CTS. I'm guessing there are a few members here who are on coumadin and have had this done. Was wondering what procedure, if any, did your surgeon used to counteract the coumadin?
Thanks,
SM

Are you having minimally invasive surgery, or the old, traditional method? That might make a difference.

My vet had surgery several months ago with the MIS approach and was back at work in 2-3 days. She owns her own clinic, so she couldn't afford to be out long. She's had both hands done now.
Not sure if carpal tunnel syndrome is prevalent among veterinarians or other surgeons, but another vet friend of mine had it done a number of years ago, the old procedure, and was off work several weeks.

From the above, I would think that the MIS procedure would be less apt to require you going off warfarin. But I'm not a cardio, hand surgeon or whatever.

I would definitely push for the MIS procedure and not having to go off warfarin. If push comes to shove, see if they can do it with your INR at 2.0. I was able to have a colonoscopy while anticoagulated at 2.5 INR.

My first surgery is June 13. I'll be meeting with the anes. and other medical staff in the coming weeks to find out what approach they'll be using. Try and keep you posted.

Had my 1st carpal tunnel surgery june 13th, typing with one hand really sucks. This is what the internal medicine doctor advised me to follow. Stop coumadin 4 days prior to op and start Fragmin (18,000 units) injections same day as stopped coumadin. No Fragmin day of surgery but started at 8mg coumadin for 3 straight days following surgery and Fragmin to continue for another 6 days or until my INR back in range. Going for my 1st post-op blood draw thursday.
Now just prior to the surgery in the or, the anesthetist tells me that had I spokento him, he would not have stopped the coumadin at all, telling me that carpal tunnel is a very minor surgery and the risk of heavy bleeding is minimal. My INR was 1.1 just before surgery.
This is what bugs me the most of being on act. Everybody has so many scenarios possible. You'd think by now they'd have it all figured out!!

SM, some surgeons will do minor surgeries on slightly lowered INR (2.0) and others will want the INR way down
at 1.1 which means taking Fragmin or Lovenox shots to bridge. It really should be more openly discussed with
the patient (in my opinion).
Anyway, hope you are doing okay :)

SM, some surgeons will do minor surgeries on slightly lowered INR (2.0) and others will want the INR way down
at 1.1 which means taking Fragmin or Lovenox shots to bridge. It really should be more openly discussed with
the patient (in my opinion).
Anyway, hope you are doing okay :)

Yes the surgery went ok, thanks. Can't wait for the second one, lol. I will discuss with my surgeon about that.

One problem with the new 'protocols' is that they all seem to be somewhat experimental; different protocols may apply to different types of surgeries; it's not always easy to distribute this week's protocols to physicians who may be curious about the latest wrinkles; and I'm not sure how many doctors want to be THAT plugged in to the latest research.

But, yes, it IS disconcerting and somewhat scary - especially when you hear something different from each medical professional. It sure would be nice if there was a central database or website that can provide the latest information (with easy access to older information).

One problem with the new 'protocols' is that they all seem to be somewhat experimental; different protocols may apply to different types of surgeries; it's not always easy to distribute this week's protocols to physicians who may be curious about the latest wrinkles; and I'm not sure how many doctors want to be THAT plugged in to the latest research.

But, yes, it IS disconcerting and somewhat scary - especially when you hear something different from each medical professional. It sure would be nice if there was a central database or website that can provide the latest information (with easy access to older information).

The medical world is not easy, ever so changing and for the better I think we can say. Doctors heads would spin if they had to keep up to every minor technological change, they wouldn't get any work done. And often there's more than way to get the same result, I have to keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Back