Cardiology checkup/new problems!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

I went to see my wonderful local cardiologist today sicne he will be in charge of my post opeartive care now and we talked for 30 mins and he decided to have an echo done today since they didnt do one at Duke after my surgery.

We watched echp tape together and he is very concerned. he discovered a new problem I didnt have before, a bundle block. I have heard of it before but dont know anything about it. he said he will have to watch it and hopefuly it will not cause any problems. Said theres a slight risk of having heart failure from it. My EF is now down to 40% and he said my heart is not functioning as well as he had hoped. He said my level of something I cant remember that tells him how well the valve is doing is very high at 9% and indicates the mitral valve may be too small for me! He said my heart function is greatly comprimised and valve is not working exactly as it should be but hopes it will get better over time.

Does anyone know about this bundle block? Im confused, I was so upset I didnt understand or question alot of what he said.
Help please.

I forgot to add, my tricuspid valve is now leaking mild to moderate. I really didnt expect all this today!

Hi Alicia,

I am so sorry you are having problems. Your cardiologist may have been referring to a 'bundle branch block'? You may want to clarify.

I have a similar condition with the conduction system in my heart called an 1st degree A/V block.

The website below will give you some general information. When he referred to your mitral valve being "too small". If this the one they just replaced for you?

Hang in there............
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4486

Hi Alicia-

I'm so very sorry to hear of the recent doctor visit. What a shocker.

It sounds as if you have a very caring cardiologist, and I bet he will take each problem one at a time and get you straightened out. Please remember, there are solutions for just about everything now days, just hang in there until all the testing is done and the scientific evalations have been completed. Sometimes, once all the data is in, the original problem is not as bad as first thought, and new methods of treatment will emerge for you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

Ali

Ali

I feel so sorry for you. You have been through so much already. I hope this is something that will correct itself. When I had my Ross Procedure the surgeon put in too small a valve in the pulmonary position. I bet this has been more than just a little traumatic for you. I will continue to pray. Love Peggy

Alicia,
Damn...
Thoughts and hopes are with you. Your doc does sound like a very caring professional and you'll get this resolved!
Best of everything.

Alicia

Alicia

Sorry you didn't get a clean bill of health at your post-op check-up.

You need to have someone come with you to take notes, or ask for a copy of the results, ekg, echo, etc,...in the reports they give a lot of info and you can look up any info you don't understand.

When your next follow-up visit??? Write down your list of questions, ask if any of these problems will resolve themselves in time.

My prayers are with you,

Terry40

Alicia,
I am so sorry to hear that your post op follow up didn't go as well as you expected. It sounds like you have a very good cardiologist that will keep an eye on things and take care of them if needed. I hope that over time these things will straighten themselves out. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take Care!
Gail

Thanks for all the quick feedback! Gina, it is a left bundle branch block. I did read the info and thats what it is. The mitral valve thats too small (he thinks) IS the valve that was just replaced. Thats why Im so scared they will have to do another surgery to replace that valve and possibly the tricuspid valve. My cardio wouldnt commit, he said lets do the echo again in a month and go from there.

Please say a prayer that all will go well with the next echo. I cant think of having another open heart surgery again!!

re:

re:

Hi Alicia,
Bad news is always rough. You sure don't have to feel bad about having a good cry, you deserve that much. A couple of things to think about. Technology is amazing, and gets better all the time. You have one good thing going for you, your age. Your a young lady, and so post procedure recovery healing and chances, are very good, no matter what is done. This month in 'Runner's World' magazine, is an article on a man, who has run 4, 26.2 mile marathons, with someone else's heart beating in his chest! That is totally amazing. Cry today 'honey'. Be positive when your ready. You have 630 plus friends here, who will be at your 'virtual'
side. One last thing on a personal note, don't forget God. Do that and you can have peace, no matter what the future may bring. I certainly do not no how I could have made it with out Him during my surgery. Keep us posted. ... Mark

Alicia - may I suggest that you go to about.com, search for cardiology/heart disease (Dr Richard N. Fogoros). He has a site where you can ask him questions about the heart and he will give you good information. he is an EP, author, orator, sits on a board about new valves, and is a fine dr, etc. He has written articles on this subject and can refer you to them, as well as answer directly to you via posts - like ours. He will not give diagnoses nor direct medical advice - just information and answers to your general questions.

I am so sorry to hear of this new development. I pray that it will not become too serious - no wonder you felt like crying. My prayers are with you. God bless

Alicia I'm almost at a loss for words here. I can certainly appreciate your feelings right about now. You know full well that you'll have me saying tons of prayers for you, as well as lots of others here. Try not to go gettin all depressed just yet. Give it the month and see what the next echo yields. We are with you kiddo! ;)

Dear Alicia:

I am so sorry your visit with the cardiologist did not go well. On the other hand, forwarned is forarmed. At least you have the facts.

Conduction problems post surgery are not uncommon, as when they enter the heart to replace the mitral valve, they are working very closely to the electrical impluse locations in the heart. Sometimes they get "messed up". But, as Nancy says, there is a solution to everything.

As far as the tricuspid valve is concerned, by husband's 6 month echo showed a severely leaking tricuspid valve. His cardio told us that where the tricuspid valve is located, (the right side of the heart), this is not the hard working half of the heart, so folks thrive for a long time without having to replace this valve. Often the mitral valve leakge presurgery masks the tricuspid valve problem. This is what happened in my husbands situation.

You have a lot of time to think this through with your cardiologist. I am confident, based on your comments, that you have a caring, competent cardiologist. And, frankly, thats worth more than anything.

When is your next followup, and what tests, etc. are they planning to do?

Best wishes.-Marybeth

Hi Alicia.....

Everyone here has given you such wonderful advice, so the best II can add is "ONE DAY AT A TIME!" Take each day and only worry about the problems that come up that day.....I know it's very hard to do, but just try to focus on that. Be positive, as Nancy said NEVER GIVE UP!!! they have lots of tests and procedures for everything nowadays. I will put you in my prayers.

Evelyn

thinking of Ali

thinking of Ali

Ali,

You know that I love you and will be there for you no matter. Just say the word and I am on my way to N.C.

Love You
Lissa

Thanks for everyones responses. My next step is another echo in a month and we just go from there. Im calling my cardiiologist office today and having them give me a copy of the echo report so I can read it and see if I can make some sense of it and I will try to post it so maybe I can get some help interperting it. I feel very confident in my cardiologist. He is a very caring and sweet guy and he really LISTENS to me and ALWAYS makes extra time for me. Of course yesterday he told me I have been his most challenging patient with all my problems. He is my shining star and he has always taken very good care of me so I do know Im in good hands and blessed to have such a good doctor! Thanks again to all.

hi alicia!
i've been bedridden for a week and unable to log on, so you can imagine how upset i was to read your post about your valve.
i'm so sorry; you must be devastated.
nancy is right, try and be positive. maybe the next test will show more and differently.
also, if not, this is fixable. i know you've been through so much already, but alteast this can be rectified if it needs to be.
i am truly so sorry. we are all here though to hold your hand and be with you.
you are in our thoughts and prayers.
please keep us posted.
be well, sylvia

For Sylvia

For Sylvia

Enough about me! Why have you been bedridden for a week? I hope you're okay now. Was it the flu? Get better really quick. I need your support:)

Alicia, before my surgery they discovered I had a left bundle branch block. They are not worried about it though. They said the electrical system of the heart would reroot it self. As far as the tricuspid leak. I had the same thing after surgery. It has now correct it self and is no more problem. martha

Hey Martha, That sounds encouraging. The thing Im worried about is the valve not working appropriately and possibly being too small. I go back to Duke for evaluation of that valve on March 4 and Im very anxious about that. I cant think of having another open heart surgery so soon.

Latest posts

Back