Cardiologist feels ......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

char2mar

Hi guys...

I saw a new cardiologist today at the Adult Congenital Heart Defect clinic. He read over my TEE results and looked at previous echo results I had done. He listen to my chest and ran an EKG. I told him about my symptoms and my family history. He then said that he wants to do an extentsive treadmill stress test to see how my lungs, heart and overall fitness levels are. He also said that he feels my valve is okay for the moment but he will keep tabs on my aorta. I will have to have yearly echos. At the momment he feels that surgery can wait, and that my aorta will probably need to be fixed before my valve gives out. He does not seem too concerned about the arrythmia and fatigue I have been experiencing. He said everyone gets tired. As for my chest pain, he feels that it is caused by something else but not realated to my heart. So basically not to worry about a thing. Then he dismissed himself and left me sitting in the examine room. So there you have it folks. So I guess I will do the stress test, wait a year for another echo and go on with my life, live with the chest pain and fatigue and hope no major permenant damage occurs to my heart function.

Char :)

That is the kind of appointment that really leaves you with no satisfaction at all. I would go ahead with the stress test, because maybe something will show there that isn't reflected well in the tests he evaluated today. If his opinion remains the same and your symptoms are bothering you, regardless of what the source, I think a second opinion would be in order.

I hate it when doctors dismiss patients' symptoms as if they are not important. I don't mention something to my doctors unless I feel it is worth mentioning and I really do expect it to be treated accordingly. My doctors do but I HAD one that didn't a couple of years ago. He has been replaced. ;)

Bells went off for me when he dismissed your arrhythmia and fatigue and said "everyone gets tired" - translated - you think you're overworked - you should have my life. I had several doctors try to dismiss my symptoms. Next time you see him, I would tell him that you need a better explanation than that.

Hi Char, I can really relate to what you must be feeling right now. Are you sure we don't see the same cardio...?!!!

I've also been given the ol' "..you're heart seems to be doing fine (all things considered) and it's not what's causing your symptoms..." It's so enormously frustrating to be feeling absolutely wiped out all the time (..and yes, we all get tired, but you know when it goes BEYOND what "normal" tired is..) and you keep getting told "you're fine". Surely when your heart is skipping beats all the time it has to have SOME sort of impact on how the oxygen is being circulated through your body and how you feel. If you had a car with an engine that misfired all the time, I bet you a million to one it would have worse function and fuel economy that one that was running well.

I don't mention something to my doctors unless I feel it is worth mentioning and I really do expect it to be treated accordingly.
Betty, you are right on the money here. Again, we all get tired, but you mention it to a doctor when it's MORE than "just being tired". Or if you find yourself short of breath just from walking to the letterbox. Or you get dizzy from standing. Or whatever else you might be feeling which is DIFFERENT FROM USUAL!! To be dismissed as a hyperchondriac is not only insulting, but very unhelpful.

When I told my cardio how wiped out I feel all the time she basically told me that it had nothing to do with my heart if I was feeling that way all the time, or if the feeling persisted after my HR returned to normal after exercise. And here I was thinking fatigue was a "textbook" symptom of heart issues. Apparently not!

Sorry Char - I didn't mean to start ranting, but I'm p*ssed of for both of us. I hope something shows up in your stress test that helps explain how your feeling, but I guess I hope you've got a "Plan B".

Sending best wishes and positive thoughts your way,
Anna : )

Tired...

Tired...

After my daughter was born (1999) I experienced fatigue like crazy. Since I've been "asymptomatic" (now that seems foolish), I've treated the fatigue with antidepressants, exercise, and eating more protein. These have all helped to some extent. But all your comments make me wonder...

About the doctor thing - it's hard to find a good doctor who will really listen. Maybe the guy's an idiot, maybe he's right, but seems hard to have confidence in his diagnosis with his attitude. And there is a lot at stake here.

It's hard enough dealing with the health/medical problem itself, I think you should at least feel good about the doctor who's treating you.

Patty

Latest posts

Back