carbon fibre heart parts make you speedy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski girl

This weekend was my first solo adventure race, with 500 entrants! We did:
600m ocean swim
6.4km paddle
3km trail run
12km mountain bike
2.7km run

I took 2:25:24 for 13th placed female vet (of 40) and 39th female overall (of 144). As stoked as I am with that 14 months post-op for my second AVR due to endocarditis, the best bit is I should have been faster - but I broke a toe running into transition at the end of the swim! Who put that rock there . . .

Loving my new carbon fibre heart parts!!

I like the attitude! Don't say it too loud, or competitors might complain your carbon fibre is unfair!! :)

Yeh GymGuy I'm being careful to keep my carbon fibre parts a secret, otherwise everyone else will get some too and I'll lose my advantage . . . just call me Lance! Heheh.

Speedy carbon composite advantage, You bet! I asked my surgeon post ohs how much the valve he implanted was worth? He was not sure, but he estimated the hospital paid around $5000.00 for it. Speedy and Spendy!

Is it possible to have a fiber heart. Can a person may transplanted carbon heart parts. Will it works just like a normal hearts. Are you just kidding or what... Please tell me what is it all about...
--------------------------
The dr note are good for taking leave from office and are easily available on web.

Heheh yes Carolyn I'm kidding! We sporty types pay lots of extra money for carbon fibre gear (bike frames, kayaks, kayak paddles) because it is lighter and extremely rigid which makes it 'faster'. It is much easier to move a 10kg bike up a hill than a 20kg bike.

The fact that I now have carbon fibre heart parts is really quite funny to me and my mates - and to everyone else who has shelled out $1,000s on carbon to go a bit faster!

Is it possible to have a fiber heart. Can a person may transplanted carbon heart parts. Will it works just like a normal hearts. Are you just kidding or what... Please tell me what is it all about.

There are carbon valves, predominantly the artificial valves used today are pyrolytic carbon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolytic_carbon#Biomedical_applications

Valves are simple structures which in a normal heart are just flaps of skin that inflate against the flow of blood and then collapse when it flows the other way

It is the muscles in the heart which squeeze the blood around and the valves that ensure that it only flows in one direction.

There are some designs for an artificial heart but that is FAR more major surgery than a simple valve replacement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart
:)

Latest posts

Back